Are MHX Blanks a good blank?

I have been wanting to build a few rods for awhile now and now I think it is time to do it. I was wondering if MHX Blanks were very good ? I am looking to build a Crankbait Rod and a Jerkbait Rod. I was looking at the CB783-Blend for the Crankbait and MB752XF-MHX for the Jerkbait. Are these good choices or should I go with a glass rod for crankbaits I will be using it mainly for Squarebill and medium diving Crankbaits.

Thanks
    Last edited by jlinmo226068; 11-26-2017 at 06:47 PM.

2. Member
    I have built several. Never any issues. Both of the blanks you listed should work well. It is always a mystery buying a blank without being able to hold, shake, flex, and look at it. The description varies from each manufacture there is no standard measuring system used by all manufactures.

3. Member
    I built one from their kit. Seems like a nice enough kit. I built a jerkbait rod. I dont remember which blank i used, but could find out if you want.
    Dave

4. Member
    Thanks bass57348

Getting ready to build a Square bill rod out of one of there 7' s-glass blanks. I guess I will find out.

6. Member
    K-DAWG I was debating on using a glass or CB783-Blend but I went ahead and ordered the CB783-Blend I am sure I messed up lol

7. Member
    jlinmo, you didn't mess up by going with one of the MHX blend blanks. I'm not saying that because I have fished a rod built on any of them. I'm saying that because a graphite crankbait blank is not a bad choice. I liken the glass versus graphite crankbait blank to the Ford versus Chevy debate.

The blank you chose is less than half the weight of any of the MHX S glass blanks. That is a good thing. And with crankbait blanks, it's about the action of the blank. Not what it's made of.

As far as the choice of MHX blanks in general. I've only built on one. I built a jerkbait rod on an SJ783. I trimmed 6" off the butt to slow the action and take away a bit of power. It still has the nice stout tip to work a jerkbait hard if need be, but it has a nice bend into the middle of the blank to help keep fish hooked on treble hooked lures, buttoned up.

It's a decent blank and priced right about where it should be, for what it is. My experience with MHX blanks doesn't seem to mirror what other's experiences with their blanks has been. I returned the very first one I received, and should have returned the one I ultimately built the jerkbait rod on. But I had an early spring tournament coming up, and I needed to get the rod built.

Anyhow ... I have become a big fan of Rainshadow blanks. If you build more rods, (and if you're like probably everybody else that started building rods, you will lol) do yourself a favor and take a look at the Rainshadow blanks. Every one I have ever built on has been absolutely beautiful, and IMO more than worth what they cost. Which is not to say that all of their blanks are expensive. I just mean they are really nice blanks for their prices.

And once again ...... don't wish you had gotten an S glass blank instead of the blend blank that you ordered. The only thing you may do, is wish you would have went with a bit more powerful blank. Crankbait blanks always seem low on power. Especially if you're used to blanks or rods with a mag bass taper.

I love glass crankin rods. I have a couple of them and love them. I have also built on graphite crankin sticks and hate them. If you get some of their higher end blanks they are good.

9. Member
    To answer your question, there's nothing necessarily wrong with MXH blanks, but I think there are better out there at the same pricepoints throughout their lineup. That being said, I wouldn't get super hung up on whether or not you picked the "right" blank for your first build.

I prefer S glass blanks for almost anything with treble hooks, I'll agree to disagree with Bassbme about it being the action and not what it's made of. If you take two rods of similar power/taper/rating and one is graphite and one is S glass the glass blank is going to react differently, softer, slower however you want to describe it. I'm not a super technical guy when it comes to blanks (RDA, CCS/deflection etc) but I do fish a lot and fish a lot of different techniques and am pretty good at picking out what any particular blank will be good for once I get it in my hand. S glass is heavier that's a fact and I always try and build my rods as light as possible but I think weight it is less important when you're talking about tip down techniques but again it's all subjective. Build one of each, fish them side by side and see what you like better.

10. Member
    Will ..... I haven't fished a fiberglass blank since the first version of the BPS Cranking stick way back in the day, so I can't really comment on the fiberglass blanks of today. And I certainly won't disagree that fiberglass blanks react slower than a graphite blank with the same specs. Fiberglass weighs more, so of course it's going to be slower to recover. And yes, a blank that recovers more slowly is what you're looking for in a crankbait rod. But we aren't talking about a blank with a mag bass taper

Anyhow .... it's ok to agree to disagree .....

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassbme View Post
    Will ..... I haven't fished a fiberglass blank since the first version of the BPS Cranking stick way back in the day, so I can't really comment on the fiberglass blanks of today. And I certainly won't disagree that fiberglass blanks react slower than a graphite blank with the same specs. Fiberglass weighs more, so of course it's going to be slower to recover. And yes, a blank that recovers more slowly is what you're looking for in a crankbait rod. But we aren't talking about a blank with a mag bass taper

Anyhow .... it's ok to agree to disagree .....
    You really ought to give one of them a shot. I've built on Seeker, Lamiglas and the Rod Geeks Sglass blanks and they are all excellent crankin blanks. I've tried out a lot of different graphite crankbait blanks and my favorite is probably from Hydra but I still pick up one of my Seekers before that one. Like anything a lot of it is just personal preference.

12. Member
    I have at least 2o+ rods built on MHX blanks that I use or have built for others and have had no issue's at all. I think they are a great blank for strength, sensitivity, and would recommend them.
    2014 Triton 21 XS
    250 Mercury Pro XS
    Bravo 1 XS 26 P 4 Blade
    Dual Power Pole 10' Blade
    Humminbird 1198, 998, 360
    HELIX 12 CHIRP SI GPS G2N, HELIX 12 CHIRP DI GPS G2N

13. Member
    My son built a cb843 blend for small crank baits and square bills and it is amazing. An old friend retired his Loomis 843 and had my son build him one also