Fiberglass shower stall upgrade to tile

We are thinking of upgrading our master bathroom fiberglass shower stall. It is roughly 46" long by 34" deep. Ignoring the glass door, ceiling light or the water fixtures, what budget range would you think it would take to remove the existing fiberglass stall and tiling the shower?
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

2. Banned
    Are you going to be doing the work? If you build one of the shower stall kits with a prefab floor pan, supplies will run somewhere around $1k or slightly more.

If you use Wonderboard walls and a polypropylene sheet pan, supplies will run around $400.

That is not including labor or any glass shower door ($350ish.)

The job is on UTube and described online. Building a shower stall and tiling it is not at all difficult to do.

3. Member
    Look into a pre made pan and culture marble wall panels super easy to install no grout joints all you do is wax it every now and then and can get any color you like.

4. Member
    I will not be doing any work. We want laid tiles versus panels. Got one quote at $15,000 which I thought was very high. That included standard grade fixtures and shower door. I hate wasting my time as well as the contractors if this exceeds my budget.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

That’s wayyyy to high...
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

6. Jon
    2 or 3k for a standard custom shower

7. Matt20xd
    3000 labor and setting materials, no tile. Gets you in the ballpark.

8. Member
    15k is ridiculous.
    I've got money I haven't even spent yet!
    2011 Nitro Z8--200 pro xs

9. Member
    Although some of you may think that 15k is ridiculous, it may not be far off if you were to include body sprays, rain can, 6 port diverter, hand held spray, and a professional grade waterproofing membrane with pre-pitched pan and curb, lets not forget a shower seat and recessed niche...all from the Schluter company... also top it off with a tempered 3/8" clear glass frame-less shower enclosure...then you are close to 15K....dependent on size and intricacy of tile work...lets also take into account that the master may be on the second story and all cuts are measured upstairs and cut outside downstairs then walked back up the stairs...and lets place a drop cloth on the steps and the pathway to and from the work site and the cutting area outside. I own a high end remodeling company here in N.E. Georgia and usually have at least one bathroom going at all times throughout the year in conjunction to many other projects at the same time...My company's average shower conversion as mentioned above is around 10k to 11k...and whole master bathrooms including new hand made cabinetry, free standing soaking tubs, floor mounted tub fillers, granite tops under-mount sinks..etc etc..can easily reach upwards of 40k - 50k...no offence guys...please...just make sure that when you speaking to various contractors, that they all are on the same page...and remember that the waterproofing which will be concealed and not ever seen again is a very very important part of the project...unless in 5 - 10 years you want to tear it all apart again...

10. Member
    Yea Edw but he said this for ..
    It is roughly 46" long by 34" deep. Ignoring the glass door, ceiling light or the water fixtures, what budget range would you think it would take to remove the existing fiberglass stall and tiling the shower?

11. Member
    I recently did almost exactly what you are wanting and I charged 6500 for the job and materials.

12. Member
    For just this...I am with 2boatjoe..that sounds about right...we never seem to do just a shower stall conversion to tile..as I always include new plumbing fixtures if the existing ones are 10 plus years old..and always include a frame-less glass enclosure as we are more of a turn key style of contractor...we are constantly cutting walls out that use to house the shower stall to open the room up and replacing the walls with knee walls with 3/8"glass on top...drywall patching etc.etc. painting and more...didn't want anybody to take offense here...

13. Moderator
    It's a lot more work than most people think. Once everything is opened up and updates to plumbing and structure can be costly. Then add in all new fixtures and so on.

You're about to open a HUGE "Can of Worms" !! You'd think it would be a snap, but whoa are you wrong !! One thing leads to another, then another, another, and so on !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

15. Member
    I decided to do this 3 years ago in our house, and I was going to do all of the work myself, simple tile job.... WRONG! I was threatening to burn the house down I got so mad. In the end, I removed a fiberglass shower, put green board on the walls, built the shower pan and new curb. I started doing the tile work and that's when the wheels fell off.... I hired out the rest, in the end it cost be about $4500-5000. $15k is crazy high, find someone else to give you an estimate.

16. Member
    I will be remodeling my small bath room completely here soon. Materials for the shower underlayment are over $1000 for a regular size shower. I could imagine 5 k for a shower with fancy tile and labor.
    Wally, you can come help and then you will know how to do it yourself.