Mercury 4 stroke break in question

I have a 2018 Mercury 4 stroke 150 hp serial # 2B467430. Just picked up boat last week and have not started break in yet. I have read break in steps and understand procedure. Where I plan to break in there are some no wake. zones. If I go thru the steps of various speeds not to exceed 4500 rpm will idling thru no wake zones be a problem.
    This is my first 4 stroke.

2. Member
    No problem

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Before I say "no problem"... would need to know HOW LONG it would take to idle through that no-wake zone.

Engine should NOT run for extended periods of idle during break-in, and RPM's should vary at least once every 5 minutes. If you can stay within that... THEN it would be "no problem".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I suspect that the no wake zones are probably no longer than 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by n2bassn View Post
    I suspect that the no wake zones are probably no longer than 5 minutes.
    Break-in is critical especially I've read in making sure your engine keeps the "making Oil scenario" to a minimum and you only get one chance. I would trailer to a lake without no-wake zones.

Tournament-Fishing \"It\'s not a question of if you will be humbled but how many times\"

I can probably do that. I plan on breaking my engine in when I arrive in Florida. I stay in the Winterhaven area and there are a ton of small lakes all connected by no wake canals. I can just stay in one of the larger lakes and run in circles or back & forth to do break in.
    if avoiding long periods of no wake is recommended I’m fine with staying put in one place.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2bassn View Post
    I can probably do that. I plan on breaking my engine in when I arrive in Florida. I stay in the Winterhaven area and there are a ton of small lakes all connected by no wake canals. I can just stay in one of the larger lakes and run in circles or back & forth to do break in.
    if avoiding long periods of no wake is recommended I’m fine with staying put in one place.

I fish the Winterhaven chain quite often and really like it even though it can fish tough, or at least it does for me. There are only a couple on canals between lakes that I would say may take longer than 5 minutes to pass through, but once one Eloise you have plenty of room to burn some gas.
    2013 Z118 w/Merc 150 4S