Need some help/ opinion please

Hello all
    I sold my glass boat and moving to an alluminum. I am looking at a 1998 Xpress , 17ft with a 90hp Suzuki 4 stroke
    I assume its a H51 model? Not sure, i have HIN but cannot seem to confirm.
    I have tried to do some research however really cannot find any reviews or feedback on the 1998 model.
    I figured i better just rely on the great people from the BBC board to give some insight.
    Also any input you have on that motor would be greatly appreciated too. I may also post in the suzuki forum to gain some insight.

Thanks in advance for info & opinions

2. Member
    I believe all years of the H51s are about the same. If left outside all the time the flotation under the floor can become water logged and heavy. I owned one with a 90hp 2 stroke. It would run about 40. They are hard to set up not to porpoise at high speed. I would think with a heavy 4 stroke they would be even harder to setup.
    I have owned three Xpress bass boats and three 1546 duck boats. The 18ft models like H56 or X18 are a lot better in ruff water. The ride is drier, smother and more stable fishing. I would not buy another H51. T

3. Member
    Really appreciate the feedback

4. Member
    Openfacereel, if you go to the BBC home page and scroll down the left margin to Xpress boats you will find a list of Xpress boat models with setup for good performance including a number of H51 models with 90 hp 2 and 4 stroke engines.

if the price is right I would not hesitate to buy an H51 model. I previously owned a 2001 X60 18' Xpress with a 100 h.p. Yamaha 4 stroke for 10 1/2 trouble free years before I sold it.

i currently have an H17 ordered which is essentially the same boat as the H51 and have no worries about handling problems. It will have a 90 h.p. Yamaha 4 stroke on it with 24 v trolling motor and 3 batteries on board.

Maybe you can take a test ride in the boat you are considering to determine if porposing is a problem. Weight distribution or some minor work on the hull bottom will cure the problem.

Openfacereel, I would pass on that H-51, it’s under powered. I had a H-51 with a 115 Yamaha, it ran around 55mph. Yeah, it might drink a little more fuel than a 90hp, but for performance, it’s worth it.

Coonnasty

Cajun Navy 2016
    2000 X21 DC, 225 EFI

6. Member
    All very good feedback , I truly appreciate it!! Thanks guys

7. Member
    It may be an X51. I have a 2000 model X51 and people seemed to be very unfamiliar with that model. It is 17’ long but only 75” wide across the top at the back end. It is also fairly light with a dry weight of only 800lbs. It’s rated for a max of 90 hp. My boat has a 2 stroke Yamaha with a 17 Turbo 1 prop and with a decent load of fishing equipment, half to full tank of gas, empty livewell, 3 batteries, no jackplate, and just me in the boat, it will gps 44 mph. Th prop has a few dings in in it too. I hope you can solve this mystery. My boat shows the model “X-51” on the coast guard plate where the max HP is shown. You might look at that plate to see if it shows the model for that particular boat.

I have a '99 H51 with a 90HP Merc 2 stroke. It will do 43MPH GPS with 2 guys and full gear with empty livewell and full tank of gas with a Piranha 21 pitch composite prop. (I run in a rocky river)
    If trimmed too high it will porpoise but with a little experience I learned to run it and manage the trim quite easily to avoid any porpoising. I have a 24v trolling motor with batteries in the back for now. May someday try moving them to the front just to see what it does to the handling. I've also installed a comfortroll recessed tray in the bow with no noticeable weakening of the deck and I'm not a little guy at 230lbs.
    Over all I'm pretty happy with the boat, it tows easy, goes fast enough for what I do and sips fuel. I did get pretty wet a few years ago on Lake Oneida with 25MPH west winds whipping it up but I'm not so sure an 18 or 19' would have faired much better. Go for it, I think you'll be happy.
    '99 Xpress H 51 w/ Merc 90

9. Member
    I have a 1998 H51 with 90 hp Yamaha 2 stroke, no jack plate...I'm running a standard Yamaha prop, I can go 40-41, but any more trimming it will porpoise...At that speed I'm at 5500 rpms.
    I run 5000 rpms at 35 mph (gps) and I have no problem getting from point A to B. Of course I am running a marked channel and most of the twists and turns cause me to slow down, and some to slow way down. Open water is no problem, boat is solid when wind is 5-10 mph, but I do not care to go out in the rough stuff higher than that, been there and done that in a much larger/faster boat and still did not like it. Performance is excellent, only issue I have with the boat is lack of storage (not including live well(s), and gas tank compartment, three now, had five in boat before)
    You need to decide if your fishing needs warrant a larger/faster boat...if so, move on to something else, but I am very pleased with my H51 as it suits my needs.
    Bulldog44...
    Last edited by bulldog44; 12-04-2017 at 03:53 PM.