Re carpeting 206

Recarpeting my 2004 206 couple of questions.
    1. what oz carpet?
    2.can you pad front deck or is it problematic?
    3.do you use rubber backed carpet?
    4. The rivets in the trim are the pop rivets
    or tap rivets?
    5 what size rivets do I buy?

2. Member
    I’m in for info’s well. I’ve Done some checking locally. Most want $1100+ to recarpet including front standing pad. I’m don’t mind tackling a job just not sure if this ones over my skill set. Coach

3. Banned
    Last edited by Snickers89; 12-04-2017 at 11:02 AM.

4. Member
    20 ounce carpet
    Drill the rivets out and remove trim
    I used #10 stainless truss tapping screws to put my trim back on.
    I used Roberts 1200 carpet glue for the flat areas and i used contact cement for the lips and edges on the lids..
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

5. Member
    I went with 24oz and padded the entire from deck and compartment lids. Be very careful when removing the trim, or if someone else does it, be adamant about care. I don't know the size of the rivets, because I paid to have this boat done. I did my last one. My back wasn't ready for it and I had it done for $1,100. There is a high quality 20oz from boatcarpetbuys.com. They can send you a sample to see if it's still the good stuff. I used it on my last Skeeter. It's just as plush as my 24oz. Very high quality. Some 20oz is junk. I would personally use Weldwood contact cement. At minimum, at the edges and lid edges. Remove the trim, the job will look professional. Just don't bend it!!! If doing yourself, the 1/4" padding at closedcellfoam.com is a great product. It is much nicer than the 1/4" my Champ has. You have to trim the padding about 1" short of the outer trim area. This will allow a snug fit especially with contact cement and allow the trim to fit back how it was.
    Champion 206
    250XB

6. Member
    1/8 x 1/2" ALL aluminum pop rivets.
    padding yes taper perimeter for carpet to deck transition
    Dap contact cement NOT gel formula use original
    24 oz from BassCat

7. Member
    I am getting ready to re-do my '05 206. That is going to be my winter project to get the boat ready for next season. I am going with the Ranger carpet. My local Ranger dealer is going to order it for me. I have previously done two Ranger boats and like their carpet the best. The only concern I have is my deck was padded by the factory. I am unsure if there is anything I need to do different in removing the old carpet from that area. The two rangers I did previously did not have the padded front deck. That will be a new experience for me.

8. Member
    I did my old 181 and used 20 oz from c&o. Used contact cement in all.

9. Member
    I did my 2004 206 with the bass cat carpet, love it and they are awesome to work with.. ended up needing a little more and screwed up and ordered the wrong color, they swapped it at no charge even though it had been cut..

the only thing I would add to the above responses would be to get one of these: https://www.harborfreight.com/power-...ing-tools.html

it makes removing the old glue/carpet a lot easier..

the only other thing I would add... after doing it myself... it is a pain in the you know what $1100 seems CHEAP.. I had a guy tell me he would do it for $600 if I provided all the materials .. I decided to do it my self.. after I was done I would have paid him $6000... ill never do it myself again...

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    I did my 2004 206 with the bass cat carpet, love it and they are awesome to work with.. ended up needing a little more and screwed up and ordered the wrong color, they swapped it at no charge even though it had been cut..

the only thing I would add to the above responses would be to get one of these: https://www.harborfreight.com/power-...ing-tools.html

it makes removing the old glue/carpet a lot easier..

the only other thing I would add... after doing it myself... it is a pain in the you know what $1100 seems CHEAP.. I had a guy tell me he would do it for $600 if I provided all the materials .. I decided to do it my self.. after I was done I would have paid him $6000... ill never do it myself again...

I hear you. I did my Skeeter and as everyone knows, the prep work in anything is key. I spent three full days just scraping the old glue off. When it was time for my Champ, I had just had back surgery and the $1,100 was a great price. They used Weldwood contact cement on the entire job. But, they weren't as careful as I would have been while scraping and they gouged my gel coat in about 12 spots. I wasn't happy!
    Champion 206
    250XB

11. Member
    When you pad the deck is it just the part up front or do you pad the rod and compartment lids too?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Erie206 View Post
    When you pad the deck is it just the part up front or do you pad the rod and compartment lids too?

Thats up to you. I did everything forward of the console on my Champ. On my Skeeter, I did the whole boat.
    Champion 206
    250XB

13. Member
    how did the padding work with the closing of the lids what did you do to ensure they closed correctly?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Erie206 View Post
    how did the padding work with the closing of the lids what did you do to ensure they closed correctly?

You don't put the padding over the edges. Some 24oz carpet needs to be trimmed with hair clippers, if it binds too bad. Mine didn't on my Champ, but I did have to on my Skeeter.
    Champion 206
    250XB

15. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Excess glue messes wipe off easily with Fantastic Spray Cleaner even after it dries. Works better than acetone.
    I have a couple buddies that do carpet jobs for a Ranger dealer all winter and use Fantastic for the final detailing cleanup.
    I think they said Mean Green works too.
    I pay them to do my carpet. They use Ranger carpet and it's nice. Good luck!

16. Member
    be nice if i knew a couple of ranger guys

17. Member
    I would note that if you go too heavy the compartments could be bear to open
    2005 206
    BRP 225 H.O. (E225DHLSOF)
    Fury 4 24p @ 5,750 fully loaded