Adding a deck extension on my Pantera 2

I bought a 90 Pantera 2 and it has the odd deck layout with the "hole" in front of the driver console. I'm not really sure the use of this layout anyway. Well I'd like to just add a extension front in front of the driver console. I'm not really looking to make a full flipping deck I just want to add on. Anyone done this? I can't really make a full flipping deck cause I have the cooler that's lower then the top deck where the live well is. I'd like to make it to where I can still lift it up as to not loose storage. Will I just have to mount a ledger board on the console to support the deck since it doesn't have a ledge built in?

The purpose for the space in front of the console is for a tackle box. I used to keep a soft carrier with 7 or 8 Plano type boxes in it there, along with pliers and other day use things. I actually liked the "hole", as I didn't have to open up storage to get to my tackle if I wanted to tie something different on.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

Boats of that era seemed to focus on open floors due to the large tackleboxes everyone carried. They steadily shifted the emphasis to deck space as time went along. At least that’s how it always appeared to me. I have a ‘89 PII and that is a perfect spot for a tackle box or a cooler.

4. Member
    So still haven’t got around to building one yet...problem is on my boat doesn’t have the lip around the edges to support the lid if I build one, also it has the recessed cooler and storage lids..

5. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    I liked that spot in mine.

My 94 has that "spot" also. I build a drop in for my tackle storge and extra deck space. Works for what I wanted although it's not pretty.
    Cheaper to keep a kid in tourney fishing than paying attorneys to keep them out of jail !!

i made i flipping deck for my 96 with a hatch over the open area in front of the drivers console. it lifts out if i want it to with no drilling into the fiberglass, ill post pics later

hmmm interesting thread...I always thought it was just made as a good spot to poop off th side of your boat....
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

3/8" plywood with 1"x 1" around the outside and cross braced, 3/8" plywood vertical support also with 1"x 1" bracing. fiber glassed on all sides then carpeted. the tackle rack i got from Cabelas and modified to fit (two cuts). the whole thing fits in place by itself no screws in the boats fiberglass, it's also had two (2) old guys (400+lbs total) on it with no problem. the hinge for the door is a piano hinge from the hardware, the stops for the door are old automotive hood stops mounted with bar stock and lock nuts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

someone might want to pin this on the top of the basscat forum

11. Member
    The problem is my boat doesn’t have the lip around the edges like yours does..

Well just box it in with vertical supports