206 with Talons?

My Plan was to add dual talons to my 2003 Champ 206. I currently have a CMC 5.5” Hydraulic jack plate with a 250 HPDI hanging in it. It doesn’t come out of the hole like my smaller Triton did, but I haven’t messed with setup at all. I haven’t really played with Jackplate height. Anyone have a 206 with a pair of talons? Does it make the back end too heavy and sit too low? What are my options as far as making the talons work?

I haven’t put them on yet, but plan to this winter unless I get info otherwise. They won’t mount to my current Jackplate so I’m torn on just doing sandwich mount with current setup or going with a different Jackplate setup and mounting on it.

So in summary..........

1) will a 2003 Champ 206 with 250 HPDI and 4 batteries handle a pair of talons?

2) if talons will work, is there a better/different hydraulic JP that would setup and give my boat better performance with the talons on?

3) any other advice on mods or things to try for my boat and setup?

Thanks Guys!

Coach

2. Member
    I bought a 2005 206 that had 5 batteries and two power poles. It floated the extra weight fine. 250 pro xs engine on a 10" slidemaster. I will post a few pictures later.

3. Member

4. Member
    Coach, 07 200 Elite 225 optimax ,4 batteries , full tackle store ,and dual talons. Water line is about 1 to 1 &1/2 inches below the rub rail with some one standing on the rear deck. Talons will affect the holeshot! I would get it where it comes out of the hole quick before adding the talons. I have added a holeshot plate and this improved the holeshot, but it's not where I want it . I am thinking of adding one of Chris's foils and if that doesn't work I will be working the prop or going down a pitch for better performance. Hope this info helps.

5. Member
    Thanks!

6. Member
    I see 4 batteries. Where is the fifth. I am curious because. I would like to put in a 5th battery.

7. Member
    I see 4 batteries. Where is the fifth. I am curious because. I would like to put in a 5th battery.

8. Member
    I barely have room for 4 batteries and charger. Didn’t think I could fit PP pumps but I see you made it work.

9. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tomloans View Post
    If the 206 is like the 210, there is enough room aft of what you see for another battery (or 2) and the oil tank. My PP pumps are mounted back there.

10. Member
    You can't see it but its on the passenger side tucked under the fiberglass where the top cap slants down. Tight fit for sure.

11. Member
    Makes sense. Thanks guys

12. Member
    Ok....I have to ask what is the 5 battery for? Are you connecting two for cranking?

Quote Originally Posted by harrys View Post
    Ok....I have to ask what is the 5 battery for? Are you connecting two for cranking?
    A lot of guys are using two in parallel for Electronics/cranking.

I had a 5.5" CMC on my 198 but changed to a Bob's 10" because of the faster travel and 1/4" incremental L.E.D. gauge...then it was already drilled for the brackets too. It's easier to quickly see exactly how much lift you are running with the Bob's gauge. The additional setback also added 1 to 1.5 mph. I just put a Chris Bailey Hydro-Foil on the rig too but haven't had it on the water it yet...our lakes are frozen over. However, those who are running the Bailey foil have all said good things about the increased hole-shot speed.

15. Member
    Sorry thought so much on the 5 batteries forgot the original post.....I have a 2004 - 206 with a 250 Pro XS, I have just one 12' Talon and don't see a lot of difference.