Thread: '88 merc 115 I6

'88 merc 115 I6

Oh wise and powerful merc gurus, I implore you.

From a cold start, back it in, it starts right up like it should, idles perfect. Idle out til warm, it takes off like a raped ape, runs perfect throughout the rpm range. It doesn't matter if you go .5 miles or 5 miles, when you shut it down, it will not take off again. It will barely start and idle in gear and will NOT take any throttle. It has a new stator and new switch boxes.

My next thought is the trigger, like it works on the first run til it gets hot and then won't advance after it goes back to idle

2. Member
    Start with isolating the fuel with a known good 6 gallon tank. Isolate the controls with a known good set of shop controls to eliminate any external issues. Did you replace the stator and swith boxes with new Mercury parts? If not it still sounds like a Stator. When this happens so you still have spark in all cylinders?

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Be sure to see the Forum Announcements and note the Required Info. Thanks!

Agree- checking SPARK when it's hot (and acting up) would be wise.

Also verify trigger is advancing with the throttle when hot (not binding).

Look to see if the engine still has an idle stabilizer- advance module. If so, recommend REMOVING it completely, and then perform a complete Sync-n-Link (they have been known to cause similar problems).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor