Prop/Hub Problem

Gentlemen,
    Need some help, my buddy has a '96 Mercury 200 EFI and he keeps ruining his hub on his prop. This is the fourth one in under a year and half, I forgot to ask him what prop he has but I believe it is a trophy. Any ideas or suggestions as to what the cause is and how to fix it?

Might be able to help better if you define "ruining" or post a pic, is the thrust washer wallowing out, hub melting, things cracking?... Initial thought is if its a standard flo-torq hub (not fat shaft) that he is under or over tightening, both can cause a failure. That can be fixed by running the optional forward (cone) bushing that is available for purchase separately. With it you can make sure you get the hub/prop tight enough without worrying about over-tightening (within reason haha)
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    Might be able to help better if you define "ruining" or post a pic, is the thrust washer wallowing out, hub melting, things cracking?... Initial thought is if its a standard flo-torq hub (not fat shaft) that he is under or over tightening, both can cause a failure. That can be fixed by running the optional forward (cone) bushing that is available for purchase separately. With it you can make sure you get the hub/prop tight enough without worrying about over-tightening (within reason haha)
    ^^What He Said^^
    20XDC Bullet/Modified Merc 260
    295TF Charger/Merc 225X-Sold
    20' Contender Pickle Fork/Merc EFI Bridgeport-Sold
    18' Stratus with Sommerford Tunnel Vee Hull/2.4 EFI Merc High Perf-Sold
    Freedom 240DLX Toon/Merc 115
    10' Cougar Cub/Merc 25 on the Bottle
    18" Homebuilt Tunnel/.021 OS Max Outboard on 50% Nitro with a Pipe

4. Member
    Melting the hub is the most common problem. He has just recently had the gearcase PM'ed IE: new impeller, etc... it is the standard flo-torq.

Quote Originally Posted by davisx View Post
    Melting the hub is the most common problem. He has just recently had the gearcase PM'ed IE: new impeller, etc... it is the standard flo-torq.
    First Ive heard of a Merc EFI melting a hub (thought that problem was more specific to the E-tec's). Sorry but I cant offer any help with a solution on that one, hopefully someone that knows Mercs better can...
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

6. Member
    Might post on the motor forum, but I've never heard of a hub melting

Very strange for a merc. Only real solution is getting one of the metal mercury racing hub kits

8. Member
    Ive fixed 2 3.0l mercs that were melting the flo torq hubs. Problem was under powerhead in water port on exaust plate, there was sand trapped there clogging the drain holes to the mid. Both boats were bass boats on the upper missippi river which is a very sandy environment.

9. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Merc Doc View Post
    Ive fixed 2 3.0l mercs that were melting the flo torq hubs. Problem was under powerhead in water port on exaust plate, there was sand trapped there clogging the drain holes to the mid. Both boats were bass boats on the upper missippi river which is a very sandy environment.
    +1, I know of 2 300xs engines that did not have a water passage drilled out correctly and was melting hubs.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

10. Member
    I had a 225 Supermag that melted a couple hubs, think we figured out it was a power head gasket issue restricting water flow.
    2016 Allison XB21 XST
    2021 Mercury 250R

11. Kllr bee
    I'm with Merc Doc and Tim Powell. Passages in midsection clogged.
    Rchard

12. Member
    Sounds Like Your Exhaust Is Not Getting Out Of The Motor,

13. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    +1, I know of 2 300xs engines that did not have a water passage drilled out correctly and was melting hubs.
    one of those was mine. The hub would get hot and crack or the prints would start leaking in the lower unit

14. Kllr bee
    The water passages make it rain though the exhaust It is the only thing that keeps flames from coming out thru the prop.
    Richard
    Last edited by kllr bee; 12-12-2017 at 11:33 PM. Reason: spelling