Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Well I got my 26 3 blade Fury back from Ronnie Gilbert and finally had a chance to get the boat out so I put it on and headed for the lake this afternoon. Got there around 1:30 this afternoon. Air temp was 64, water temp was 53, chop was about 6 inches to a foot, and both gas tanks were half full. Boat is a 2017 Eyra and Mercury 250 with (2) Power Pole blades, dual console, and MK 112 trolling motor. Made several runs and I almost got there...sadly I could not get to 80.�� Twice I got to 79.5 and just could not stay in it any longer to get over the hump. Holeshot is best at 7-8 on the Atlas jackplate and my best speed came with the jackplate at 7-8 as well. I had raised the jackplate up to 10 and could not get over 77 and once I lowered it to 7-8 it picked up those last couple of mphs. Overall I am very happy with 79 but there is something about 80...I'll keep trying. I did have a buddy get a video that I will try and post soon.
    Last edited by Texlacat; 12-10-2017 at 09:31 PM.

2. Member
    Today was a great day here for speed. Temps 60-65 and 5mph north wind. My personal best in my 17 Puma FTD going fishing with about 20-25 Gallons of gas and 2nd console installed, 2 power poles - 81.4. Actually thought I could've got to 83 today, but boat wakes always at wrong time. After reading a few posts on here I bumped jackplate up to 10 (usually kept on 5-6) and I barely noticed any input needed while driving.
    Last edited by barbarian; 12-10-2017 at 10:03 PM.

The Eyra is all about the right engine height and Ronnie's wheels change everything from where they were. Your going to have to feel the steering torque and reset the engine height.

4. Member
    BCB - you are correct, the prop did change the feel at top end. And I still have some learning to do as I didn't get there yesterday but oh so close. With a little less wind I think I can break 80. But your comment about steering torque makes me ask the question what should I be feeling? With the jackplate at 8 running 79 it did feel like if I let go of the wheel the boat would turn right and I was making my adjustments to the left. Like I've said before this is now my 3rd Cat and I had my last Cougar up to 79 but I never felt the top end torque like I did yesterday. Is that what I should expect if the set up is about right? Thanks.

Then we are suspect that the engine needs to be lowered slightly.

6. Member
    TEXLACAT you are right there....the right day and conditions and you are going to get 80+....Easy!!!!! That Eyra is bad to the bone when to did a pass by me and the video does look good but still does not do it justice. We will have to make a couple more videos!
    I also have a Eyra but with the SHO and had the chance to drive TEXLACAT's and it is night and day driving the two with different engines. My SHO likes a lot less water than the Pro XS, or is it the different props? I am running a T-2 26 pitch and get my best speeds with the jackplate 12 or slightly above (even in a 1 foot chop). When I drove his the Fury defiantly liked to run deeper and his boat lit up around the 8 setting on the Atlas. A couple setting lower may have put him over the 80 mark. Next time Brother!
    Elwood....Bass Cat Strong

2020 Bass Cat Eyra
    2020 Mercury 300R 4S (1E081080)
    Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!

7. Banned
    They say that the Fury likes to be a little bit deeper.

8. Member
    Yeh Elwood I think you are right. A hair less wind and bringing the jackplate down one or two and it should put me over 80...even though according to Louisiana math I can technically say I hit 80 by rounding up!�� While Elwood was driving mine I took his for a spin as well. All I can say is they are two COMPLETELY different motors. The feel of the hotfoot was much more sensitive than mine and the torque...it's not even close. I barely pressed the hotfoot down and I was up on plane. Very impressive hole shot. I think if I had to do it all over again I would opt for the SHO. Quieter, better holeshot, and eveidently just as fast. I will confess Elwood managed to drive mine faster than I did (79.6 vs 79.5)

9. Member
    Texlacat, on an eyra with a 250 pro xs and a 3 blade fury if you are running over 4-5 on your atlas you are probably scrubbing speed, lift, and overall handling performance. I usually ran mine between 2-4 and sometimes I'd drop to 0 with a heavy load. Every prop, lower unit combo is different but this has been my experience.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Y'Barbo View Post
    I saw a skeeter running before. He came around me when I was going 78.5. Later, I heard it was a hydrotech motor.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rchavis View Post
    Tell me about it. My co-angler hit me and pointed at the skeeter. Then I was pointing at my graph all over 78mph. Talk about being surprised!

That would juice one a bit...

13. Member
    A juiced Hammer would be fun. I ran my SHO (completely stock) yesterday in 40 degree temps and she was on fire. I actually went from 0-80.3 mph in less than 30 seconds. (Got it on video) That is with all my gear loaded, 3/4 tank left and 1/4 tank right, Minn Kota 112 and live well empty. I am turning a stock SHO T-2 26 pitch to 6100 rpm and would love to try a 27 pitch. I really believe I would be tapping on the 85 mph window with the 27. I have hit 82.4 with the 26. I could not imagine the power and fun that a juiced Hammer would have in it.

2020 Bass Cat Eyra
    Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!

14. Member
    Elwood sent me the video he took the other day and it is amazing how fast his Eyra gets to 80! His is a screamer! I may help him buy a 27p prop just to see how fast it will actually go...ok, so maybe not �� but I can't wait to see what it will do if he gets one.

15. Member
    Update to the Ronnie Gilbert (26P Fury 3 blade) worked prop for my 2017 Eyra. Finally made myself get out on the water to just run the boat. Had a short window yesterday so I took all my rods out of the boat and headed to Cross lake. Water temp was 46, air temp was 60, wind was 8-10 creating "maybe" a foot of chop, gas tanks half full. Jackplate set at 10 for hole shot and it jumps up on plane. Initially got to to 79 quickly with the jackplate at 6 but couldn't get any more so I raised the plate to 8 and it seemed to flatten out a little and settle down and I was able to climb to 81. Hit 81 twice and decided that was good enough for me so I loaded up. Good...now I can just go fishing again!

16. Member
    You got it TexLacat! Now that you know it will do it you can relax and just go fishing. Good running and we are glad you got the hang of it.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

17. Member
    Way to go TEXLACAT!!!!! I knew that it was a matter of time and just driving it. Now that you have done it you will hit it again with out thinking about it. Tightlines Brother!

2020 Bass Cat Eyra
    Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123