Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Be aware of flashed ECM's when talking Yamahas.

2. Member
    I saw a skeeter running before. He came around me when I was going 78.5. Later, I heard it was a hydrotech motor.

3. Member
    Most of the FX 20s will run 75-76 light. Had one a few spots ahead of me on the Red once that I knew was essentially empty, and headed to the same pocket I was 17 miles north. He was cutting buoy corners trying to stay ahead of me but I finally caught him on a long straight at around mile 6 or 7. I went by him going 79 and I wasn’t just blowing by him like most of the other boats we had passed.

I got to the pocket first and claimed the desirable back part of it where a great creek channel ran through a flat. He settled into the mouth of the cove as his second choice and won the tournament there. So going fast is fun but not always necessary :).

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billius View Post
    Yep, your boat should run maybe 77-80 depending on load, water conditions and how well you can drive.
    Agreed. I can pass anything except those "A" boats and "B" boats. I can run a tad over 80 in this kind of weather. 78-79 tourney loaded any other day. Keep on wheeling takes a little more driver skill to get that last 4-6mph.

5. Member
    Yep Blakesfav, going fast is fun. That's why I am chasing the 80 mark. I don't expect my buddy to beat me but I want to make him laugh a little as I pull away from him quickly. And honestly most of the lakes I fish you have to stay in a marked boat lane so passing isn't an option unless you want to take your chances of removing your lower unit on a stump. What is also fun is taking a 90' turn at 40mph and hammering down again which mine will do and his won't.

6. Member
    Riverrat, this is my 3rd Cat and my last one was a Cougar FTD/250 combo which I managed to hit 79.8 in when I first picker her up running very light and with a 26Fury. I guess I just need to spend a day on the water and just drive the boat. This Eyra definitely drives differently than the Cougar as I think most people will agree with. I really didn't think it would take me this long to hit 80. But I also have a real hard time being on the water and not fishing. Usually I go out with the intention of running the boat for a while and that will only last until I see the first good area I like to fish and I shut her down.

My Cougar FTD hit 82.6 yesterday with a light load.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texlacat View Post
    Riverrat, this is my 3rd Cat and my last one was a Cougar FTD/250 combo which I managed to hit 79.8 in when I first picker her up running very light and with a 26Fury. I guess I just need to spend a day on the water and just drive the boat. This Eyra definitely drives differently than the Cougar as I think most people will agree with. I really didn't think it would take me this long to hit 80. But I also have a real hard time being on the water and not fishing. Usually I go out with the intention of running the boat for a while and that will only last until I see the first good area I like to fish and I shut her down.
    Yeah that boat is slightly different from what I hear. I am still considering it for my next one but I don't want to lose anymore room up front. Anything over 75 is getting down with the program these days. I don't always run mine hard but knowing you got it if you want sure is nice. You will see over 80 once you get dialed in with it.

9. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    I could have passed him in my Phelix....
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    Hole shot is fine. I also run full - 3/4 full of fuel most of the time. That adds a lot of weight as well. I just can't balance one on it's pad like I used to.
    What brand is the 25 ventless T1?
    Yamaha SHO prop. The T1 has been replaced with the T2...stronger hub assembly.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

11. Member
    I am getting 82.0 out of my stock SHO with a 26 T2 out of the box full tournament load, 3/4 and 1/4 fuel and a 112 Minn Kota on the front. I can cruise at 78-80 solo and hit 81.2 with a light partner this weekend. I have only had the 26 T2 out three times so she could she see more and I would like to try a 27 T2 as I hit the limiter with the 26. No Skeeters have passed me yet.....actually nothing has passed me but I have not run into a A or B boat either...lol (it will happen) I am very happy with my motor choice......

Sgt....you have got that Phelix dialed in!!!!!!!....and know how to drive it!!!!

I have only had two BCB's but learned early that you have to learn how to drive the boat to get the max out of it.

Bass Cat Strong!!!!!
    Elwood....Bass Cat Strong

2020 Bass Cat Eyra
    2020 Mercury 300R 4S (1E081080)
    Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
    I am getting 82.0 out of my stock SHO with a 26 T2 out of the box full tournament load, 3/4 and 1/4 fuel and a 112 Minn Kota on the front. I can cruise at 78-80 solo and hit 81.2 with a light partner this weekend. I have only had the 26 T2 out three times so she could she see more and I would like to try a 27 T2 as I hit the limiter with the 26. No Skeeters have passed me yet.....actually nothing has passed me but I have not run into a A or B boat either...lol (it will happen) I am very happy with my motor choice......

Sgt....you have got that Phelix dialed in!!!!!!!....and know how to drive it!!!!

I have only had two BCB's but learned early that you have to learn how to drive the boat to get the max out of it.

Bass Cat Strong!!!!!
    How far below the pad is your prop shaft?

My local Yamaha/Skeeter dealer, and friend, showed me the Yamaha performance specs on Yamaha's dealer only site. Two or three years ago, Yamaha tested a PUMA/250 SHO with a 27 pitch T2, full gas, but nothing else and it would run 80 (79.8). The part number for the prop they used indicated it was "shipped from Japan" only, with a 8 week lead time and had a list price of around $850.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GZ ONE View Post
    No Eyra w a 250 should need a worked prop to beat a Skeeter
    I agree. Even if it is real heavy and the bug is light it shouldn't even be close.

They still couldn't outrun my Ranger though.

14. Member
    even if he was faster, I bet his ride wasn't as smooth as yours :)

15. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwood View Post

I think she still has more left in her....
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

16. Member
    I have a 15 Puma FTD/250 ProXS. I can only get about 74 out of her. But I run with full tanks and a very heavy load, but still feel as if I should be more in the 77-78 MPH range from everything I read. Currently running a 25 Fury. And I guess it could just be me, it I can drive it as hard as it will go I think. I trim up, trim down, move my atlas up and down, but never seem to find a spot to go over 74.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I agree. Even if it is real heavy and the bug is light it shouldn't even be close.

They still couldn't outrun my Ranger though.

Would probably have to remove a few carrots on a string to pass your Ranger ....lol

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    How far below the pad is your prop shaft?

My local Yamaha/Skeeter dealer, and friend, showed me the Yamaha performance specs on Yamaha's dealer only site. Two or three years ago, Yamaha tested a PUMA/250 SHO with a 27 pitch T2, full gas, but nothing else and it would run 80 (79.8). The part number for the prop they used indicated it was "shipped from Japan" only, with a 8 week lead time and had a list price of around $850.

I do not know what the prop to pad is....I have a hydraulic jack plate. I run it depending on load at 8-12 setting on top end and have went as high as 14. The T-2 is a minor investment to buy new. I found them on sale for $700.00 and it took about 2.5 months to get it to my door. It does run and carry the load very well when matched up with the SHO. I would love to try a 27 pitch or find someone with a 27 that needed a 25 T-2. I was all over the limiter with the 25 and can hit it with the 26 in cold weather.

2020 Bass Cat Eyra
    Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!

19. Member
    Must have been going straight in calm water :)

20. Member
    Chop was not bad (6-10inches), but it was a run for top speed. The Eyra takes heavy chop in stride and I do not let off the throttle very much. The jack plate will be adjusted to conditions but 7-8 is normally as far as I lower it.

2020 Bass Cat Eyra
    Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast