Could I have water in my oil?

300 Pro Verado
    Serial # 2B376111

I have 50 hrs on motor. I changed the engine oil at 20 hours and everything was fine and oil level has been fine until 50 hour change. I did the end of year service of oil, filter and lower unit. I took the boat to the boat ramp after the oil change and ran it for 8 minutes, backed in the water but still on the trailer. I drove back home and checked for leaks and also checked oil level and found a creamy, frothy foam on the dip stick. I only idled engine for 8 minutes and I did put it in gear for a second while trimmed up a little to check prop, only because it’s the first time I have removed the prop. I drained all oil out and when I removed drain plug the oil coming out was clear. I went to get more oil and when I got back the oil in the drain pan had that frothy looking foam on top. I did save the bad oil in a container but haven’t been able to look at it since I’m out of town. I checked engine temp while idling the 8 minutes and it got up to 120-125, and air temp was 48 and lake water probably low 40’s. This motor has ran great with no issues , no alarms. I am going to run the engine for 5 minutes with the garden hose hooked up when I get back and recheck again. I am a little concerned, do I have something going on? I do ask a lot of questions on this motor because it’s my first 4 stroke, and I really appreciate all the knowledge and tips received on this forum. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    How far up on the stick did you fill the oil/level?

Sounds like you may very well have OVER-FILLED the oil.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    How far up on the stick did you fill the oil/level?

Sounds like you may very well have OVER-FILLED the oil.
    Don, both times I changed my oil it took almost the 2 gallons to bring the level on the dip stick to the 1/2 mark. On this oil change I stopped at the 1/4 mark on the dip stick. I went to bass pro to buy my oil this time and they tried to sell me 2 gallons and a quart, saying it might take more than the 7.4 that the manual calls for.

U sure your drain screw gasket was ok & plug tight? You didn't have an issue until you changed the oil. It's recommended you replace (the gasket) every oil change. Ive seen gaskets double stacked where someone put a new gasket on the screw and the old one was still stuck in the housing causing water intrusion. If the gasket was compromised, it would allow water in just like a lower unit drain/fill screw gasket would.

My next guess (if it wasn't overfilled as Don suspected) would be did the air temp drop below freezing for an extended period of time before you winterized it?
    Last edited by 21xTriton05; 11-24-2017 at 10:28 PM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21xTriton05 View Post
    U sure your drain screw gasket was ok & plug tight? You didn't have an issue until you changed the oil. It's recommended you replace (the gasket) every oil change. Ive seen gaskets double stacked where someone put a new gasket on the screw and the old one was still stuck in the housing causing water intrusion. If the gasket was compromised, it would allow water in just like a lower unit drain/fill screw gasket would.

My next guess (if it wasn't overfilled as Don suspected) would be did the air temp drop below freezing for an extended period of time before you winterized it?
    I did not replace the drain screw gasket when this occurred but I did when I redrained the oil, so I guess it’s possible it could have been the problem.
    I keep my boat in the garage (heated) at 50 degrees all winter.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Have never seen one required more than 2 gallons... but we'll give the sales guy an "E" for effort.

Verado oil level should be at 1/4 of the way on the stick, engine WARM, oil level checked AS RECOMMENDED IN OWNER'S MANUAL.

Special procedures required to accurately check level.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor