Talons vs Power Poles

Hey fellow Floridians, gonna be equipping my boat with some shallow water anchors soon and looking for opinions on the above two mentioned brands. I know this topic has been beat to death on the boards but I'm looking for advice from people who live in our area and can comment on pros and cons of each. For instance I fish a lot of canal systems so low bridges are inevitable. For reference I have a 2008 Stratos 294xl which is a 19.6 ft boat, I have decent space in the bilge area. I also have a slidemaster jackplate the does not have much setback.

Thanks for any advice offered.
    2008 Stratos 294 XL
    2008 Evinrude etec 200 HP H.O.

2. Member
    I really liked my Talon package ... low profile, no technical failures ever.
    On the flats, the PP seem just fine, but not so much around pads, etc.
    Don't discount the advantage of the straight drop, great here in Florida.

3. Member
    Ive got a 10 ft talon on my Ranger Intracoastal, saving for another. Love it. I dont have the bilge space for PP pumps and oil reservoirs as I run a 36V trolling motor, bobs hydraulic jackplate and a spare prop storage in my bilge. Ive seen too many PP loose hydraulic pressure during rough water or highway conditions. Talons are a lot less headache to maintain. And the last thing you want to be worrying about in rough water are your PPs loosing pressure and dropping. Ive had my talon in both fresh and salt for two years with zero issues.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    Never stop believing and never stop chasing your dreams.
    Galatians 6:9

www.kgfishing.com

USCG Licensed and Insured Fishing Guide - Lake Murray and Clarks Hill

Thanks for the info guys, I'm leaning towards Talons as well.
    2008 Stratos 294 XL

5. Work hard fish harder SwampNinja's Avatar
    Hands down you need to go to East Coast Perfection in Pompano and have Rich hook you up with some PowerPoles from Hydrilla Gear. You wont be sorry. I've had two powerpole set ups rigged by them.
    https://hydrillagear.com/contact-us/
    Stratos 294 evo Etec 200 HO
    HydrillaGear.com IguanaGraphics.com

6. Member
    I had a pair of Talons on my 2007 Basscat Cougar FTD. They worked great with no problems but I had to take them off the boat. With a tournament load and a partner the boat would not get on plane unless my partner moved to the front deck. I tried several props and motor height adjustments with no success. The folks at Basscat told me that my boat was built before these products were popular. I think the newer boat hulls are built a little different. Try to find someone with your year model boat and make sure the are no issues.

7. Member
    Buddy has them he likes them except for having to clean the spikes or they get clogged up and don’t work right

8. Member
    I have no experience with Talons, but that being said, I would go Power Pole, if for nothing more than looks. I think Talons look horrible, and bulky myself. Im sure the Talon is a great product, but Just my opinion.

9. Member
    Love my 2-10ft Talons. I've had them for 2 years with no issues. Love the fact they are hardly taller then the motor cowling. They fit under my garage door with ease. Oh and the Talon bracket is a beast and they adjust in a hundred different angles/positions.

Thanks for the info guys, still looking into this.
    2008 Stratos 294 XL

Quote Originally Posted by oldmandq View Post
    I had a pair of Talons on my 2007 Basscat Cougar FTD. They worked great with no problems but I had to take them off the boat. With a tournament load and a partner the boat would not get on plane unless my partner moved to the front deck. I tried several props and motor height adjustments with no success. The folks at Basscat told me that my boat was built before these products were popular. I think the newer boat hulls are built a little different. Try to find someone with your year model boat and make sure the are no issues.

What size Talons where they and what gen? Are you running Power Poles now? Issue resolved?
    2008 Stratos 294 XL

Quote Originally Posted by SwampNinja View Post
    Hands down you need to go to East Coast Perfection in Pompano and have Rich hook you up with some PowerPoles from Hydrilla Gear. You wont be sorry. I've had two powerpole set ups rigged by them.
    https://hydrillagear.com/contact-us/
    Are you running the on your Strat? Size?
    2008 Stratos 294 XL

13. Member
    They were 10' Talons. I decided to go with an Ultrex instead of poles. Very happy with it so far. I fish more offshore than shallow so it fits my needs better.

I have two 8' power poles. A long as there is no wind they are good for about 6 to 6.5 feet. I would have rather had 10 or 12 foot talons but, cost was a factor. No complaints I like the poles they work great. Just would have liked the deeper water option the talons provide.