40 hp Merc 0G731676 CARB question

1998 Merc 40hp, 3 cylinder, tiller handle. Why is there a water line to the top of all 3 carbs on this motor? I never saw anything like this. This motor has the typical tell tail for the water pump out the back of the motor and it also pees on the other side of the motor where the line from the bottom carb goes thru the cowl.

Last edited by ssv1761982; 11-23-2017 at 09:56 PM.

2. Member
    By the way, the water is barely luke warm coming from the carb line.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There should be no "water lines" running from the carbs on Serial#0G731676.

There are lines running from the Enrichment Solenoid (into the reed block, just above each carb)... that's the only thing I see that resembles what you are describing.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member

Thanks for looking it up Don. Even though the water line shouldn't be there it is. Since it is almost 20 years old I suppose something could have been replaced over the years. The motor really doesn't look like it has been touched tho. I think the fuel filter was also original, as much as it has yellowed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Agree on the fuel filter.

That fitting and hose are optional accessories, and this location in the block is utilized for an ANALOG WATER PRESSURE GAUGE.

No idea why (or who) might have plumbed it to the carb(s). Obviously it needs to come off the carbs.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    I may be wrong but I am pretty sure that mercury had a kit to heat carburetors to prevent icing in very cold weather.
    828155A 3
    Last edited by boatwrench; 12-04-2017 at 07:46 PM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boatwrench View Post
    I may be wrong but I am pretty sure that mercury had a kit to heat carburetors to prevent icing in very cold weather.
    828155A 3
    Thanks for the info. This motor was in Alaska for a while before it ended up in TN.

8. Member

9. Member
    wrench is right anti icing kit for sho
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

10. Member
    Thanks everybody!

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good catch, guys! Never even crossed my mind with a location in TN...