Shimano Curado K vs. Daiwa Tatula CT Type-R

From what I have 'researched,' the Curado K (2017), comments have been leaning towards a great, heavier lure casting reel, where the Tatula CT Type-R is better of pitching lures of less weight. I like the TWS 'open spool' design.

I already have a Type-R and wonder if the Curado K is worth buying. I am not wanting 'record casting distance' and have watched "Reel Test" guy's YouTube comparison on both reels. Reviews I have read, have mentioned Shimano Curado K being an excellent reel, as well as the Daiwa CT Type-R; while the Curado K 'favors' heavier lures.

New Curado K VS. Tatula CT Type-R is the main question...
    Last edited by Joe20Toon; 11-23-2017 at 01:48 PM. Reason: forgot to subscribe to Thread...

My CTs & CT type Rs are now backups to my Curado Ks. I bought a K and now am out am out $540 after buying 2 more, and will probably buy a slower retreive one now.

IMO comparing the 2 side by side

Curado K
    smaller profile on the palming side
    larger on the gear box side
    better ergonomically designed- extremely well thought out
    more comfortable to palm
    asymmetrical contoured handles more comfortable to grip
    heavy duty and more powerful feel
    longer handle
    long casting
    smooth retrieving
    cast control knob much easier to access due to the raised knurled end
    star drag has a swept design keeping it smaller in diameter but allowing using only your index finger to tighten, (like a gun trigger) or only your thumb to loosen
    I've had to free up the brake control knob on all 3 reels I have- don't know what's up with that
    Difficult to adjust the knob and the setting numbers are hard to see
    on the palm side of the reel at the bottom the fit doesn't look flush

CT-Rs
    slightly lighter in weight
    glossy 2 tone red/black that looks good
    brake control has serrated edges and digs in on your palm under your index finger, very uncomfortable for jerkbaits
    palm side extends straight forward further before contouring around causing the brake control to be more bothersome

I'm having trouble coming up with anything that the CT-R outshines the K at. The CT-R has been a solid performing problem free reel, but the K is just better in almost every aspect, IMO.

I haven't used either reel for heavy under load cranking to comment on that aspect, and haven't used them enough to comment on durability and longevity. Most of my fishing so far with these reels have been bottom fishing plastics, and jigs. IMO, the K wins in nearly every category for me. I've uploaded some pics to show some of the things I've commented on. I've got too much time on my hands tonight.

Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (19.3 KB, 428 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.JPG (22.6 KB, 425 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.JPG (23.1 KB, 423 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.JPG (24.8 KB, 424 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (20.5 KB, 426 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (20.5 KB, 422 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.JPG (19.6 KB, 425 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.JPG (18.9 KB, 430 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (24.2 KB, 4 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (24.0 KB, 1 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (24.0 KB, 1 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.JPG (25.2 KB, 422 views)

Maybe someone can jump in on the CT-R side, with what they like over the K. My post is too one sided.

Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    My CTs & CT type Rs are now backups to my Curado Ks. I bought a K and now am out am out $540 after buying 2 more, and will probably buy a slower retreive one now.

IMO comparing the 2 side by side

Curado K
    smaller profile on the palming side
    larger on the gear box side
    better ergonomically designed- extremely well thought out
    more comfortable to palm
    asymmetrical contoured handles more comfortable to grip
    heavy duty and more powerful feel
    longer handle
    long casting
    smooth retrieving
    cast control knob much easier to access due to the raised knurled end
    star drag has a swept design keeping it smaller in diameter but allowing using only your index finger to tighten, (like a gun trigger) or only your thumb to loosen
    I've had to free up the brake control knob on all 3 reels I have- don't know what's up with that
    Difficult to adjust the knob and the setting numbers are hard to see
    on the palm side of the reel at the bottom the fit doesn't look flush

CT-Rs
    slightly lighter in weight
    glossy 2 tone red/black that looks good
    brake control has serrated edges and digs in on your palm under your index finger, very uncomfortable for jerkbaits
    palm side extends straight forward further before contouring around causing the brake control to be more bothersome

I'm having trouble coming up with anything that the CT-R outshines the K at. The CT-R has been a solid performing problem free reel, but the K is just better in almost every aspect, IMO.

I haven't used either reel for heavy under load cranking to comment on that aspect, and haven't used them enough to comment on durability and longevity. Most of my fishing so far with these reels have been bottom fishing plastics, and jigs. IMO, the K wins in nearly every category for me. I've uploaded some pics to show some of the things I've commented on. I've got too much time on my hands tonight.

Are you THE REEL TEST? lol, everything you said about the 2 he said in a few of his videos. I also have both and everything is pretty much spot on. The ball is now in Daiwas court as to how they are going to respond to the K.

5. Member
    Thanks for the replies.
    Wondering if the $60.00 Curado K price gap is worth it...
    For comparison, I looked around on Ebay...

6. Member
    I have not fished the curado k, but I have handled them at the shop.. I have a number of ct type r's and jus5 out of the box they are smoother than the curado.. every curado I handle always seems dry out of the box d ont know y but they do. The curados do looks very nice and feel very nice size wise.. but I would go with the tatula
    07 tracker TX 190
    75 horse Mercury
    999 KVD, 859 , and 798 SI HD

7. Member
    After looking around more, I found this comment from the link below:

https://sdfish.com/forums/t/curado-k...review.162169/

"The size of the reel fishes more like a 150 size with a 200 size spool. And you'll know its a 200 size when you spool it as it holds a ton of line. This will be come a go to for many people who like frog fishing, A-rigs, and flipping and top water. Truly anything power fishing this reel will excel.

It will work for lighter line worm fishing or a finesse type fishing also. Keep in mind its a 200 size reel even though it feels like a 150 size. Finesse is not this reels bread a butter. Its a Bubba rig reel, its a jig reel. Its a blade reel. Texas rig reel. Its a frog reel. It will love 65-80 pound braid. It will love 15-17 pound floro."

----

I found more opinions on the Curado K leaning towards heavier lure use.
    Guess I'll hold off and wait for the price to come down and possibly get the 'K' for heavier use.
    For now, the Type R seems to handle finesse and other weights... I have other Daiwa CT's and the T-Wing does work; compared to my Abu's.

Something else to consider...I picked up a Tatula CT SV 7:3:1 for $120 on ebay.
    Added two bearings to the level wind and two more bearings to the handle , now it's a 11+1 bearing reel and smooth as silk. (RC bearings are cheap on ebay)
    I gave up on buying new curados when I couldn't get parts for my greens ones anymore. All of my reels are Tatula CT's , except for one Curado 70 I'm holding on to because I like the size of it for topwater.

9. Member
    I haven't fished my curado k much but from my experience the Tatula CT type R does a lot better than my Curado K casting medium diving cranks and squarebills directly into 15-20 mph wind and it palms better in my hand too. The Curado k does feel smoother and built better than the Tatula.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13