My latest invention..Flexible boat seat mount

When I bought my latest tinny (2007-1756 Lowe SV), I didn't sit in the driver's seat. I was a few days away from getting my second knee replaced. I rode next to the driver on the sea trial.

I didn't notice how very close the Prior Owner had positioned the side-console to the back deck seat. He was a smaller guy than I and must have had truly small feet. My size 12's wouldn't fit in the opening very well, and I was too close to the steering wheel to be safe or comfortable.

It was very difficult to get into and out of the driver's seat every time I wanted to move the boat. A solution had to be found.

One solution was to permanently move the seat mount further back. That would leave a big hole in the deck and probably get in the way of opening the rear hatch. Another potential solution was to move the Center Console forward. That meant some new cables, and, more problematic, was that the P.O. had installed a baitwell in front of the Console!

The 3rd and final solution was to invent something that would allow the seat to be back when I wanted it back, and yet pivot forward so that I could get the back hatch open easily. If the seat also rotated that was a serious plus. A large side-benefit of this solution was that I would be raised up about 3 inches. I like that feature a lot.

Viola...One new seat pedestal; One new seat base plate,( similar to the items LINKED below. ) I used two pieces of a 2x6 cut to the lengths necessary to move the seat back. I bolted the 2x6's together with galvanized lag screws; added a couple of galvanized bolts and nuts just to be sure...and covered the wooden portion with left-over boat carpet. I also added a piece of WalMart cutting board on the bottom to protect the boat's original carpet.

The hardest part was grinding out enough of the 2x6s to accommodate the recessed part of the seat base plate. I've done that job before and have yet to find the perfect tool. Chisels and hand grinders did the job this time.

Pictures and LINKs below.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/marine ... atid=10844

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000C6I0C/re ... 49577&sr=2
    Attached Images Attached Images

"The hardest part was grinding out enough of the 2x6s to accommodate the recessed part of the seat base plate. I've done that job before and have yet to find the perfect tool. Chisels and hand grinders did the job this time."

That's what Routers were made for !
    Nice clean job too !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

3. Member
    Yea, you are right. My router might have done a better job....if I had thought of it at the time. Somehow, I just don't pull it out often enough. thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
    Yea, you are right. My router might have done a better job....if I had thought of it at the time. Somehow, I just don't pull it out often enough. thanks...
    I know the feeling !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Nice job!!!
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

6. Member
    richq99
    I like the idea of modifying the drivers seat. My Tracker PT190 seat is secured in place but I'd like it to sit a bit taller. I have studied your description and pictures but can't quite figure out how yours slides. I understand the top portion using the academy hardware but how is it secured/attached at the bottom where it contacts the deck? It looks like the original mounting plate is still in place and I see the cutting board assembly. Could you post a few more pictures of it in different positions or a pic or two of how it slides/attaches to the deck.
    thanks
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Mercury Spitfire X7 19” prop
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    4.2 second Hole Shot (measured using Vessel View Mobile)
    Engine mounted in 3rd hole
    Minn Kota Ulterra-Link w/built in MDI 80 lb thrust 60” shaft
    Humminbird Helix 12si Gen1 chirp on console
    Humminbird Helix 15si Gen4 cho on bow
    Humminbird Mega360

Dotline two step transom boarding ladder
    Tracker trailer bow boarding step

7. Member
    Here are some additional pictures. I used TWO of the seat post mounts. One had a spring and the lower one did not.

I also used two of the bases. One was already on the boat, and the other is placed on TOP of the added boards. That one accepts the new seat post.

I've decided that the addition of the WalMart cutting board is not necessary. There is no "droop" so the gadget doesn't hit the carpet, as I worried it might.

The gadget raised me up about 3 1/2 inches above the previous height. More importantly, it moved me BACK about 4 inches which I needed the most.

The seat swivels so, when driving down the road, I have added a small bungee to keep her in place.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Member
    Thank you for the additional explanation and pictures.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Mercury Spitfire X7 19” prop
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    4.2 second Hole Shot (measured using Vessel View Mobile)
    Engine mounted in 3rd hole
    Minn Kota Ulterra-Link w/built in MDI 80 lb thrust 60” shaft
    Humminbird Helix 12si Gen1 chirp on console
    Humminbird Helix 15si Gen4 cho on bow
    Humminbird Mega360

Dotline two step transom boarding ladder
    Tracker trailer bow boarding step

9. Member
    Very cool idea!
    Y'all be careful out there and don't catch'em all!