Banned

294xl stuck between pitches

let me start by saying I suck at driving so I've been unable to get WOT numbers.....but here's what I have gotten. let's see what you guys think

boat is a 2007 stratos 294 xl with a 2006 200 yamaha hpdi with an 8 inch atlas jack plate. I also have 3 100ah lithium batteries and no poles. Pretty good bit of gear and my 220 pounds. I mostly fish alone with empty live wells. i'm running the jack plate at 6 on the gauge which is 2.5" below pad

the boat came with a 25 pitch yamaha t1, but I switched to a 27 pitch yamaha t1 on advice from the stratos forum. 27 runs fine but my mechanic keeps telling me I need to get the rpm's up. I keep trying to tell him I don't run WOT so he's not going to see the rpm's he wants on the report. Well I started wondering so I finally found another 25p t1 to try. I had it worked at the local shop to get it back in spec.

here is what I got. hole shot is better, but has blow out, as is mid range but the boat feels 'loose' compared to what it was before and I obviously lost speed and gained rpm.

1/2 tank gas, full gear and no water in live wells

with the 27p t1. hole shot a little slower with more speed and lower rpm

so I'm thinking of trying a 26p which may be the happy medium. what ya think?

2. Member
    The 25" prop is off at 5800 it should run the same speed that the 27 runs at 5400. Have you tried running the 27" prop higher.

Something doesnt seem right. I have a 294 with a 200 pro xs and no poles. I have 4 group 31s and im pushing 300 pounds. I have ran SEVERAL props. A B&B 26 txp is the fastest, followed by a 26 fury. Tempest, razor 3 and 4xl are a close third. Im bumping 74mph at 5700rpm. You should have no problem running well into the 70's with lithiums.

4. Banned
    That would be me. I can’t drive lol. I’ll keep trying. It’s obvious I’d be at the rev limiter with the 25 though

5. Member
    What is wrong with your driving? What are you struggling with?
    BULLET 20XRD/Mercury 300 XS

The 294 is notorious for being a handful. Especially if the engine height is off. Once over 65 it chine walks worse than a triton.

7. Banned
    What he said. I’m just not experience enough to get to wot. It starts to walk about 68 but stops about 71 if I can get there. I’ve done it once with the 27

8. Member
    Is your load balanced out after the lithium batteries were put in? Maybe some ballast is needed to help with the walking?
    BULLET 20XRD/Mercury 300 XS

I would have some cup added to the 25p.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

10. Member
    I would learn to drive BEFORE worrying about prop selection.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    I agree with this. You have 300 rpm left with the 25 pitch and the VMAX HPDI should be propped to run near 6000. However, if you are not going to drive it to full potential, then maybe a 4 blade would suite you, and reap those bennefits.

12. Member
    Well if you took it to LP or pure performance I bet for sure you lost speed...

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Plus one here. And you need to be balanced or it can be very difficult to learn to drive.
    Put a 4' level across your front deck while on the water, then move weight around until it sits level. Level is much easier to drive. Also, the higher you can run your prop the easier to drive. But don't run out of water pressure.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC86 View Post
    Well if you took it to LP or pure performance I bet for sure you lost speed...
    PP

15. Member
    Croxton is the best.

16. Member
    Troy, I have a 27" Bravo if you want to try it some time. It was a 27.5 reworked by Croxton to a 27. (The +1.5 pitches don't run well on fast boats.)
    YOu will need the square hole adapter.

17. Member
    I had the same boat and motor but I believe it had a 6" plate. A 26 Tempest would run 74 solo and 71 with 2 and a good hole shot.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    Troy, I have a 27" Bravo if you want to try it some time. It was a 27.5 reworked by Croxton to a 27. (The +1.5 pitches don't run well on fast boats.)
    YOu will need the square hole adapter.
    thanks i may do that. Im going to work with mark once i get some better numbers for him