Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Oil in Gas (Don’s Cocktail)

How many of you Run Don’s recommended cocktail of putting oil in your gas? I was told by a Mercury tech at the Forrest Wood Cup that these newer motors get all of the oil they need and not to do it again. For a 2015 Mercury Pro XS
    Last edited by carolinagreenhead; 11-22-2017 at 05:03 PM.
    2021 Phoenix 721 Pro XP

2. Member
    I don't do it with mine.... The Merc manual doesn't call for it so I don't do it. I respect Don without a doubt but under warranty, I'm going to follow the manual. I do run the fuel additives however.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

3. Member
    I do. Started 2 years ago.

4. Member
    I do it in my 2011 Opti 200

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OH_Ranger View Post
    I do. Started 2 years ago.

Me too
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

6. Member
    I do it. Other than cost, don't see a downside. I heard two reasons that made sense to me...the first was to lubricate the internal fuel delivery components and the second had to do with the tune they put on these motors to meet EPA requirements. Something about a couple of the cylinders getting less oil and burning up.

Me too

8. Member
    I always add the oil to the fuel it's a very minimum amount. The main purpose is to lubricate the injectors because of the alchohol in the gas. The alcohol dries out the injectors.

I do it. I don't know much about the science of these motors but Don's explanation seemed to make sense to me.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

It makes sense to do it and I highly respect Don. It also makes sense not to do it. Who’s right?
    2021 Phoenix 721 Pro XP

11. Member
    Although I can't find it on the Mercury 3 liter forum any longer, I thought "Dons Cocktail" was 1 oz Quickleen + 1 oz Quickcare for every 5 gallons of fuel.
    Where does the "cocktail" include oil also ?
    http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=92936&dateline=150203  9213
    2013 Ranger Z519 / 225 Mercury Pro XS

I add Premium Plus to fuel. I trust Don completely. He is the trusted expert!
    Last edited by 06 SB; 11-23-2017 at 01:07 AM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Quote Originally Posted by Michael49 View Post
    Although I can't find it on the Mercury 3 liter forum any longer, I thought "Dons Cocktail" was 1 oz Quickleen + 1 oz Quickcare for every 5 gallons of fuel.
    Where does the "cocktail" include oil also ?
    Mom not seeing it either.
    2021 Phoenix 721 Pro XP

14. Member
    Mercury marine is not going to advertise or put in the manual what the recommended mix is to used lubricate the injectors. Because of the EPA star rating on the optimax engines the EPA does not want oil mixing with the fuel and then burning in the combustion chamber.

Thread: Oil, Battery, Spark Plugs, Fuel and Fuel Additive Recommendations Updated 8/26/15

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Mercury Component Cocktail"- for EVERY tank of fuel, whether or not your fuel contains Ethanol: (Chemically, this works much the same as the previously recommended (and now to avoid alcohol content) cocktail, and requires less components.) This is Don's Preferred "Cocktail":

-1oz Mercury QuickCare +
    -1oz Mercury QuickLeen
    ----------------------------
    Per 5 Gallons of Fuel (in EVERY TANK).

In addition to the above, it is acceptable to add 150:1 mix of Premium PLUS in the fuel tank (for OPTIMAX engine models). This has been proven to benefit fuel system components by providing additional lubrication ONLY to the fuel system components (especially the direct injectors- which are often left DRY after engine shutdown).

(If leaving fuel in boat for more than 30 days, be sure to also add Mercury QuickStor).
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2015 Ranger Z119c / 2015 Merc 225 Pro X​S

Quote Originally Posted by gonnabe View Post
    Mercury marine is not going to advertise or put in the manual what the recommended mix is to used lubricate the injectors. Because of the EPA star rating on the optimax engines the EPA does not want oil mixing with the fuel and then burning in the combustion chamber.
    I could care less about the EPA. I care about my motor.
    2021 Phoenix 721 Pro XP

17. Member
    I didn't learn the info I received from Don but from let's call it the horses mouth. I then reaffirmed it with Don.

Found it

ALL of the components can be intermixed... and it's fine to simplify the small fractional amounts of Premium Plus:

1oz Quickare
    1oz Quickleen
    4oz Premium Plus

OR.....

2oz Quickleen
    2oz Quickare
    8oz Premium Plus
    ----------------------
    Per 10 gallons fuel.

Note: Remove soda labels from bottles so your fishing partner doesn't grab one and take a "swig".
    2021 Phoenix 721 Pro XP

Quote Originally Posted by gonnabe View Post
    THIS^^^. As long as it's not spewing "toxic" oil smoke, the EPA doesn't give a rat's a$$ if your motor burns up. Don does.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

20. Member
    I bought a 520 used in 2012. It was an 03. I started using Don's cocktail in it and could see the benefits. The exhaust area in the prop was covered with a nasty, oily carbon layer. After using the cocktail my prop and exhaust are squeaky clean. I'll keep using the cocktail.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast