Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    now i'm totally confused. what is recommended? PP or DFI (to add to gas) if you have a ProXS?

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JHelms View Post
    now i'm totally confused. what is recommended? PP or DFI (to add to gas) if you have a ProXS?
    PP in the gas; it blends better.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    PP in the gas; it blends better.
    Thanks.

4. Member
    Sorry for the confusion. Yes, Premium Plus to add to gas still. DFI oil if you idle a lot, Premium Plus in the reservoir if you run around more than idling.

Ranger z520 // Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12ft BT Talons/112 Ultrex/Hbird 360

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mn_bowhunter View Post
    Sorry for the confusion. Yes, Premium Plus to add to gas still. DFI oil if you idle a lot, Premium Plus in the reservoir if you run around more than idling.
    Since that's still not quite accurate... here's the link:

Oil, Battery, Spark Plugs, Fuel and Fuel Additive Recommendations

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Sorry Don - not stepping on toes just going off what you had wrote. I shouldn't have recommended Premium Plus for running. DFI Oil all of the time in the reservoir, Premium Plus as the mix for the cocktail. Is that correct? Or should we be making the cocktail with the DFI oil?

Ranger z520 // Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12ft BT Talons/112 Ultrex/Hbird 360

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You now have it correct. For Optimax Product (specifically), DFI oil in the oil tank, and Premium-PLUS in the cocktail.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Banned
    So the ole Stabil + Quickleen combo is no longer enough?

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Strongly recommend utilizing what is recommended in the above link (Post #45).

10. Member
    Don:

I have allot of DFI oil. Is it OK to put in the tank or Premium Plus only?

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinagreenhead View Post
    According to Don, seafoam is bad for your motor.
    I seem to recall at one time, Don's formula did recommend Seafoam. That changed when Mercury came out with Quick Care. Don does have the Knowledge to know through experience. Don can clarify this.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikez521 View Post
    I seem to recall at one time, Don's formula did recommend Seafoam. That changed when Mercury came out with Quick Care. Don does have the Knowledge to know through experience. Don can clarify this.
    Alcohol is an ingredient in Seafoam. The Mercury product is very similar to Seafoam w/o the alcohol.
    The extra alcohol means very little in a tankful of fuel, but Mercury does offer their own product, and it's probably no more expensive than Seafoam.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikez521 View Post
    He would obviously know better than I.
    2021 Phoenix 721 Pro XP

I've added oil to my gas since new.. Helps lubricate the fuel system ..
    put some in my compressor inlet to
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbbill View Post
    Don:

I have allot of DFI oil. Is it OK to put in the tank or Premium Plus only?
    DO NOT put dfi oil in your gas tank.

16. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    The last time this came round I emailed Mercury and asked them about adding oil to the gas for a Pro XS. They replied immediately and said don't do it.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnman81 View Post
    The last time this came round I emailed Mercury and asked them about adding oil to the gas for a Pro XS. They replied immediately and said don't do it.
    Wonder if it would void the warranty if problems were to arise? Im on the fence about it too.

Quote Originally Posted by bassnman81 View Post
    They say "don't do it" because they have to adhere to EPA guidelines. If they said,"Do it", then they'd have plop down a couple million for tests and certification....which might not pass and they know it. Doesn't mean it isn't better for your motor. I've been doing it for a little over a year and my 11 year old Opti is running great.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

19. Banned
    I do, and DO NOT put DFI oil in your gas tank.

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by psj706 View Post
    Wonder if it would void the warranty if problems were to arise? Im on the fence about it too.
    It won't void your warranty, because there is no such thing as "voiding a warranty". See the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act of 1976 (as ammended) for details.

Considering the source of the original recommendation (trust me, it wan't "my" idea), there is no reason to be concerned about negatively impacting warranty claims based solely on the use of 150:1 Premium Plus in your fuel, or other Mercury-Offered Cocktail Components.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast