Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Willy View Post
    Thread: Oil, Battery, Spark Plugs, Fuel and Fuel Additive Recommendations Updated 8/26/15

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Mercury Component Cocktail"- for EVERY tank of fuel, whether or not your fuel contains Ethanol: (Chemically, this works much the same as the previously recommended (and now to avoid alcohol content) cocktail, and requires less components.) This is Don's Preferred "Cocktail":

-1oz Mercury QuickCare +
    -1oz Mercury QuickLeen
    ----------------------------
    Per 5 Gallons of Fuel (in EVERY TANK).

In addition to the above, it is acceptable to add 150:1 mix of Premium PLUS in the fuel tank (for OPTIMAX engine models). This has been proven to benefit fuel system components by providing additional lubrication ONLY to the fuel system components (especially the direct injectors- which are often left DRY after engine shutdown).

(If leaving fuel in boat for more than 30 days, be sure to also add Mercury QuickStor).
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just as Gonnabe stated: In addition to the above, it is acceptable to add 150:1 mix of Premium PLUS in the fuel tank (for OPTIMAX engine models). This has been proven to benefit fuel system components by providing additional lubrication ONLY to the fuel system components (especially the direct injectors- which are often left DRY after engine shutdown).

2015 Ranger Z119c / 2015 Merc 225 Pro X​S

Glad to see this post topic. Taking tank out this year as part of my winter projects.. When she goes back in it’s getting all new fuel, additives to include oil.. Last year had injectors cleaned and several had rust on them..
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

Quote Originally Posted by CigarBasser View Post
    Glad to see this post topic. Taking tank out this year as part of my winter projects.. When she goes back in it’s getting all new fuel, additives to include oil.. Last year had injectors cleaned and several had rust on them..
    I have never really wondered if the oil really helps since I trust Don's word but this statement should confirm it for everyone. Even though Mercury does not publish this, he puts out information that is best for your motor.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Mike Lamb
    I might have to try this
    Michael Lamb
    2017 / Ranger 518c 200 Mercury Pro XS
    Raleigh, NC

5. Banned
    I did it on my EFI but not my pro xs. I will now for sure.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greendragon View Post
    I did it on my EFI but not my pro xs. I will now for sure.
    It serves no purpose on a EFI you did nothing but waste oil.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

7. Member
    I run Seafoam through every tank, and only run premium. Couple questions: I'm taking it that "Don's" is a better treatment for my '14 optimax than the seafoam as per this thread? Also is premium a must or recommended still? That's a $24 difference in fillups. Seafoam costs me another $30 per fillup. This is filling both tanks

8. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar
    Do what Don recommends Sir. I️ have ran PP in the gas in my last three engines. Your engine and injectors will thank you. RR

"Never argue with an idiot; He will beat you to death with stupidity"

Quote Originally Posted by Greener View Post
    I run Seafoam through every tank, and only run premium. Couple questions: I'm taking it that "Don's" is a better treatment for my '14 optimax than the seafoam as per this thread? Also is premium a must or recommended still? That's a $24 difference in fillups. Seafoam costs me another $30 per fillup. This is filling both tanks
    According to Don, seafoam is bad for your motor.
    2021 Phoenix 721 Pro XP

Quote Originally Posted by Greener View Post
    Seafoam has isopropyl alcohol in it. Before the days of ethanol (another form of alcohol) that was OK, now it is not good. These motors were designed to be run with no more than 10% ethanol/alcohol. Adding Seafoam puts you over that 10%. Premium is not a better gas, just higher octane. Your motor requires 87 octane at minimum. If you can get 87 or 89 without ethanol that is best. Next is 87 with ethanol. Last is 91 aka premium. Guys on here occasionally want to argue with Don but he states that using Premium burns cooler, builds up carbon and is not good for your ProXS.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Seafoam has isopropyl alcohol in it. Before the days of ethanol (another form of alcohol) that was OK, now it is not good. These motors were designed to be run with no more than 10% ethanol/alcohol. Adding Seafoam puts you over that 10%. Premium is not a better gas, just higher octane. Your motor requires 87 octane at minimum. If you can get 87 or 89 without ethanol that is best. Next is 87 with ethanol. Last is 91 aka premium. Guys on here occasionally want to argue with Don but he states that using Premium burns cooler, builds up carbon and is not good for your ProXS.
    thanks very much for the info. Going to pick up the Merc stuff today.
    06 Ranger Z21
    23 Yamaha SHO 250

Good explaination. Long story short, use the recommended cocktail.
    2021 Phoenix 721 Pro XP

13. Member
    You guys are pretty persuasive.......I'm going to start adding PP to my gas. Great, informative discussion.....thanks!
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

15. Banned
    Seafoam has isopropyl alcohol in it. Before the days of ethanol (another form of alcohol) that was OK, now it is not good. These motors were designed to be run with no more than 10% ethanol/alcohol. Adding Seafoam puts you over that 10%.
    An ounce or two of Seafoam in 5 gallons of gas does not make a statistically significant increase in the alcohol content of the fuel. That being said, Mercury does offer their own product.

I don't run 150:1 Premium Plus in my fuel, but I add a little in the VST, in addition to the recommended QuickCare, Quickleen, and QuickStore when laying up the motor for it's long winter nap. The injectors then have a good coating of oil for the long winter months ahead. This is not Don's recommended method; it's just what I do.

Again, straight from Don...

ALL of the components can be intermixed... and it's fine to simplify the small fractional amounts of Premium Plus:

1oz Quickare
    1oz Quickleen
    4oz Premium Plus

OR.....

2oz Quickleen
    2oz Quickare
    8oz Premium Plus
    ----------------------
    Per 10 gallons fuel.

Note: Remove soda labels from bottles so your fishing partner doesn't grab one and take a "swig".
    2021 Phoenix 721 Pro XP

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    It serves no purpose on a EFI you did nothing but waste oil.
    I ran that engine from 1996 to 2014 with no issues and it ran 63MPH with 2 guys

18. Member
    Guys: If my calculation is correct that would be adding 8.5 oz of oil (along w/ the other ingredients) per 10 gallons of gas. Does that sound correct?

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bbbill View Post
    Guys: If my calculation is correct that would be adding 8.5 oz of oil (along w/ the other ingredients) per 10 gallons of gas. Does that sound correct?
    That would be correct, but it's not a critical measurement. 7,8,9 is fine.

20. Member
    Keep in mind that the Optimax oil is the preferred oil for the ProXS IF you are idling frequently through no-wake zones and doing a lot of side-imaging. Premium Plus still works fine, just a recommended change by Don himself for those who operate under those parameters. Mercury Optimax/DFI oil, and Quicksilver Optimax/DFI oil are the SAME PRODUCT per Don.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=23389&page=2

Ranger z520 // Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12ft BT Talons/112 Ultrex/Hbird 360

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast