Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

GT series transducers discontinued

So i got confirmation

The GT series transducers ARE discontinued as of last Friday. The replacement transducers the CV series will be available in the next few days. They will not contain a dedicated down imaging element

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    So i got confirmation

The GT series transducers ARE discontinued as of last Friday. The replacement transducers the CV series will be available in the next few days. They will not contain a dedicated down imaging element
    Did Garmin pay for copying the Humminbird composite DI that has been used since Jan 2010?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    With that being said guess that means hold on to my Gt models long as we can ?
    Last edited by Northeastbassin; 11-22-2017 at 02:13 PM.

4. Member
    Straighten me out if i am wrong here. I am going to buy a dedicated Garmin Unit for panoptix, in my opinion it appears to be the best out there for the technology and it will only be used for that purpose. I am going to purchase a dedicated unit for mega imaging and will only be used for that purpose best out there in my opinion. I will stay with Lowrance as i like the 2D and the gps and mapping capabilities best of all for my use. I am going to be running all three for each ones intended use and this appears to be my best options at this time for me. Will the panoptix technology be affected by any of these lawsuits? Am i crazy for attempting this setup?

5. Member
    Anybody know if GT will still work with new sv pluses ?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Northeastbassin View Post
    We don't know when this decision was made, only when we've been told. This is a big deal. If the GT's have been discontinued due to the lawsuit, then it follows that existing units will be getting a software update that disables the down element. And the new units would not be any more legal than the old ones so that software would adjusted NOT to use the down element. In fact, the 7610xsv update that I recently did to 10.10/3.50 may have already done it. I don't use DownVu/ClearVu much so I wouldn't have noticed. The update note only said, "Changed to support production only". That could mean just about anything.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Did Garmin pay for copying the Humminbird composite DI that has been used since Jan 2010?
    Dunno. Is that even patented? Who said they copied it?

Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    Straighten me out if i am wrong here. I am going to buy a dedicated Garmin Unit for panoptix, in my opinion it appears to be the best out there for the technology and it will only be used for that purpose. I am going to purchase a dedicated unit for mega imaging and will only be used for that purpose best out there in my opinion. I will stay with Lowrance as i like the 2D and the gps and mapping capabilities best of all for my use. I am going to be running all three for each ones intended use and this appears to be my best options at this time for me. Will the panoptix technology be affected by any of these lawsuits? Am i crazy for attempting this setup?
    None of this has anything to do with panoptix. Only down imaging. I’m considering adding a sv plus unit and ps31 just for Panoptix and dumping 360.

Quote Originally Posted by Northeastbassin View Post
    I haven’t heard anything saying it wouldn’t, but I’ll ask. If the unit has the correct port to connect it, it should.

I haven’t seen any mention of having to disable down imaging transducers that are already on the market. You may be slightly over reacting.
    Last edited by TroyBoy30; 11-22-2017 at 04:43 PM.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    Dunno. I haven’t heard anything saying it wouldn’t, but I’ll ask. If the unit has the correct port to connect it, it should.

I haven’t seen any mention of having to disable down imaging transducers that are already on the market. You may be slightly over reacting.
    Please check on this also. If all this is the result of the Texas patent lawsuit, then continuing to allow existing units to fully utilize the GT down elements could be a continuing patent infringement. Ask if release 10.10 bypasses the down elements and uses the side elements to make the ClearVu.

Added: Just checked. No press releases from Garmin or Lowrance on this. If Lowrance won I can't believe there wouldn't be a huge announcement. When Lowrance first won in Texas, Garmin put it on their press release and said they were appealing. Too quiet on the press release front.
    Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 11-22-2017 at 07:36 PM.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

I think we are jumping the gun here..I really don't think GARMIN doing away with the GT is a bad thing. Garmin has to be setting up the next generation of transducers. Patiently waiting is going to be the key.

The lawsuit will be interesting. This is Garmin's statement after the September Texas verdict:

We disagree with the verdict on the patents and will appeal,” said Andrew Etkind, Garmin’s vice president and general counsel. “We expect to succeed in our appeal, as the Federal patent appeals court has already concluded that Navico’s other downscan patents are not valid in view of Humminbird’s earlier work.” Garmin’s appeal of today’s jury verdict will be heard by this same appeals court.

So nothing has changed since September.
    Last edited by ifishinxs; 11-23-2017 at 12:28 AM.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

10. Banned
    I would wait on the appeal before we get too carried away. Hopefully the courts will invalidate the rest of navico patents. If you guys will make a list of questions, I’ll try to find out. I’ll ask my guy after the holidays

11. Member
    Is there a newer, better model transducer with a down element coming out?
    Is the discontinuance of the GT a signal of how they think the court case will go? Are they moving into compliance before they lose?
    Are they going to do MEGA?
    Does the 10.10 software make use of the down element?

12. Member
    I am going to guess that if not overturned Garmin will just license from Navico. It appears that the court already awarded money for using the technology and for loss of sales. If they lose the appeal it would make better business sense to just license from Navico since they would have already have paid for the discretion and would be starting anew an agreement going forward makes better sense.

The Appeal will be won by Garmin again. The Texas suit should have never gone forward as the appeals court has already ajudicated in Garmins favor on the exact same issue in June. No money has been paid out. That would only happen if Garmin loses the appeal. The Texas suit is nothing more than Navico trying to slow Garmin down. In the Mean Time Garmin engineers have been hard at work.
    The first thing you do when your garage gets too full of stuff is you have a garage sale to get rid of your past crap. This makes room your new stuff. Garmin has made it clear that ClearView is were they are headed for now, down element or not. Anything else will be slowly eliminated. So this is no surprise.

IMHO I don’t see software being changed to eliminate the use of past transducers. All of those GTs would be pre suit and grandfathered in. Thousands of folks would be affected if they did. Navico would have to win the suit and then stipulate that in the verdict. It’s not going to happen. Garmin is really good at not leaking releases of any kind so reps will likely not have any info as to what is coming next. I’m sure all of the questions floating in our minds will be answered soon enough.
    Last edited by ifishinxs; 11-23-2017 at 10:06 AM.

14. Member
    Dosnt matter garmin taking over !!!!

15. Member
    So "IF" the down elements are disabled, to stay legal, if this is true. Then the customers are getting hosed, and theirs "what?" that they can do about it?

16. Member
    Down elements would most likely not be disabled nor have to be on existing models. From TroyBoy30's previous post.. The jury found that Navico had proven the infringement was intentional, and awarded $38.755 million in damages — $9.1 million for a running royalty, and $29.65 million for past lost profits. The past lost profits would cover existing unit/transducers sold. At least, that's my take on it.

Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    Down elements would most likely not be disabled nor have to be on existing models. From TroyBoy30's previous post.. The jury found that Navico had proven the infringement was intentional, and awarded $38.755 million in damages — $9.1 million for a running royalty, and $29.65 million for past lost profits. The past lost profits would cover existing unit/transducers sold. At least, that's my take on it.
    If they lose the appeal then your spot on. Imho it’s all a mute point as Garmin will win the Appeal. Garmin was not allowed to introduce any prior evidence from the appellate court which is SOP. So we wait.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

18. Member
    It looks like what we are seeing now, since the jury trial found intentional infringement, that the judge may have now issued some sort of cease and desist order. Meaning that until and unless the appeal is successful, the ruling is in force and must be followed.

I haven’t seen any cease and desist but that could be the case. It makes sense anyway. I hope this is the final battle so we can get settled back in.

20. Member
    Called Garmin support this morning. The guy I talked to was very courteous. I asked him if the GT transducers were discontinued. He said yes; replaced with the CV. I didn't ask but he mentioned the GT transducers did have a down element and the CV ones did not. I asked if this was because of a lawsuit, the Texas lawsuit. He wasn't clear on that. He just said that Garmin won a big one with Lowrance recently and expected to win the Texas one on appeal. He just said that it was a company decision to move forward using the CV line of transducers. I mentioned I had GT transducers. He assured me that they would still support them and if I had any trouble with mine that they would be repaired or replaced with a GT transducer.

The why part is still missing. I know it's possible to loose in a legal fight even if you win the decision because of how much the litigation cost. So whether they expect to win in the long run or don't want to spend what it costs to win, or reached an out of court confidential settlement on the litigation - I don't have a clue. But I do believe what the support person told me. Going forward, the GT transducers are discontinued and going forward The CV line is what will be available.

I am supposing that is applies only to the "combo" transducers. There are a number of single element 2d GT transducers; 8,10 & 15. There may be more that I'm not aware of.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast