Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

AR folks i need some schooling

Ive been thinking about getting one leaning toward 223 is this a good all around round . Also with so many out there and prices to the moon and back whats a good affordable one? or would it be cheaper to build one and if so how hard is it build one?

2. Member
    I'm looking too so I'll subscribe. I'm leaning towards the S&W M&P 15 sport II. Have found it as low as $499
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

3. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    If you get 223 caliber, you cannot shoot 5.56 in it safely. 223 Wylde and 5.56 chamber you can shoot both.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

4. Banned
    I started looking at the s&w mp in 223 and ended up with a 5.56 daniel defense v11 mil spec. I figured by the time i bought the sw and added everything i might as well just buy a better gun with everything already on it

5. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Prices are so low now, it is cheaper to buy one unless you want a custom one built to your specs.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

Just be done with it and build/buy a 300 blackout. Add a Sandman TI and subsonic rounds, you have the real deal.

7. Member
    If it's your first AR go 5.56....Cheap ammo, Widely available and super versatile....I would not buy .223 because of the limitations....and the other calibers mentioned are great for those that have multiple platforms but can get expensive just starting out..
    Also...I highly advise taking some classes with your AR...People spend thousands of dollars on high end goodies and don't know how to effectively utilize and train with the weapon..There are alot of ARS that are nothing more than safe queens....I still take classes and train every few months at a high pace....It's a good workout if anything..
    Last edited by brnzbaklvr; 11-22-2017 at 10:41 AM.

8. Member
    Have seen the DPMS ORACAL for $399 around the K.C. MO area. Shoots .223 and .556

9. Member
    DPMS Oracal here too, have a couple of them.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smalljawguy View Post
    I'm looking too so I'll subscribe. I'm leaning towards the S&W M&P 15 sport II. Have found it as low as $499
    I own a M&P 15 Sport II and would agree this is a good choice. It is a solid firearm that performs well and is chambered for .223 and 5.56.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    I started looking at the s&w mp in 223 and ended up with a 5.56 daniel defense v11 mil spec. I figured by the time i bought the sw and added everything i might as well just buy a better gun with everything already on it
    You made a very wise choice. Daniel Defense’s quality is absolutely top notch and worth every penny. LWRC is fantastic too if you want to go with a piston system.

12. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Colt M4.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Ruger AR 556
    2016 Phoenix 619 Pro / Mercury 200 Pro XS

14. Banned
    I have severel of all the different calibers but my favorite is the 6.5. The Sig AR seems to be one of my best shooting guns.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    Colt M4.
    X2

16. Member
    Wow that colts over a thousand bucks im looking for a starter LOL thanks for all the suggestions

17. Banned
    Daniel Defense, LMT, LaRue Tactical and Wilson Combat. About the only brands I'll buy complete rifles from. If I'm building it's Mega Arms receivers, DD barrel and BCG, LMT LPK.

But, yeah, make sure it's 5.56 or .223 Wylde.

18. Member
    if starting out and want low cost, just get the S&W. It will do everything you want and is (IMO) higher quality than some of the cheaper ones. Make sure you get the Sport II.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

19. Member
    Go with the m&p sport, it is a multi (shoots 223 and 5.56).
    If you want to and find a good deal on a wylde get it but I would not try to seek a wylde out with so many quality multi's out there.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smalljawguy View Post
    The Smith is a great starter AR at a great price. The awesome thing about an AR is all of the aftermarket stuff that you can add, swap, or remove based upon your preferences or a shift in the purpose of that tool. I agree that training is more important than brand. It is just like a fishing rod the most expensive gear isn't worth anything toward catching fish if you can't cast for crap. 5.56 is what you want. Then buy a box of ammo a couple of targets and have fun at the range but be safe. You will learn and grow in your preferences and knowledge.

If you aren't familiar with firearms at all go to the range for the first time with a buddy who is or if not an option hire an instructor for an hour. An inexpensive way to train is to attend an Appleseed shoot in your area. That will get you started. From there you can branch out with your interests.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast