Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    They are so cheap just buy one. If you want to learn the ins and outs from the start then build one. Get a 5.56 chamber because it will shoot .223 as well. You cannot shoot a 5.56 out of a .223 chamber safely. Moly chome lined barrel
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billius View Post
    I've never had an AR, but have always wanted one. I really have no use for one...I just want one. What does a scope cost for an AR? I supposed you can pay as much or as little as you want. Is a scope necessary?
    Same for me Bill. I just want one. Don't need it, just want it.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

3. Banned
    If you’re gonna do it, do it right
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    Not really qualified to answer but I just bought my first one, I went cheap and got a optics ready Delton 316 in 5.56. Runs shells thru like a high dollar one and is decent on accuracy. Until I know better I'm happy.
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    If you’re gonna do it, do it right
    Can you tell what is different about a DD rifle compared to the average AR rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by smalljawguy View Post
    I'm looking too so I'll subscribe. I'm leaning towards the S&W M&P 15 sport II. Have found it as low as $499
    One of the best ones, if you don't wanna build one!
    We have 2 of them.

7. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by billius View Post
    I've never had an AR, but have always wanted one. I really have no use for one...I just want one. What does a scope cost for an AR? I supposed you can pay as much or as little as you want. Is a scope necessary?
    More fun with a heads up/EOTECH type optic.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

8. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stein View Post
    Well, if everyone is completely honest, you just covered exactly 100% of the people with an AR!
    Not me...hogs and varmints with 5.56(fast follow up shots when there are thick), deer with the 300AAC.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

9. Member
    Nobody mentioned DI Direct impingement vs Gas Piston? Might wanna google it especially if your gonna build one so you can keep your options open for parts and maintenance on your AR.
    13.1 and I Don't Run!

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by domthewon View Post
    Nobody mentioned DI Direct impingement vs Gas Piston? Might wanna google it especially if your gonna build one so you can keep your options open for parts and maintenance on your AR.
    Its a few posts back.

Colt has the worst customer service. Sheriff to threaten with em litigation to return 4 rifles back to the department for a simple warrenty repair. Took over 16 months. They no longer carry Colts.

AR's are like leggos for adults. Lots of good stuff out there and lots of crap.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by g352nv View Post
    Can you tell what is different about a DD rifle compared to the average AR rifle?
    You can. It just depends on if you can justify the cost. You really do get what you pay for. You don’t need one of the high end ar’s just for plinking but if you want high end, they make some of the best rifles in the market. High quality with high quality components. Barrel twist, mil spec, properly staked, high end features. I researched them for a while and they are not cheap, but you won’t find anything negative about them except maybe the price lol. I’m considering the new 308 next. Just one example.

13. Banned
    The difference between a cheap AR and a top tier AR is going to be fit, finish, materials used, weight, barrel, trigger group and accessories.

Your basic S&W Sport is just that, basic. The fit and finish is going to be very basic, probably some slop in the upper to lower fit, standard milspec trigger, extruded barrel with broached rifling, basic A3 parts and no tuning.

Your top tier rifle is going to have tighter tolerances, very good upper to lower fit, enhanced trigger group or 2 stage, lighter and stronger materials, cold hammer forged barrel with a better muzzle device, higher quality finish, higher quality parts (magpul MOE does not count, that's cheap shit), tuned gas block and buffer. Overall the rifle is going to look nice, be lighter, shoot softer and more accurately.

14. Member
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Rock River Arms. I have one of their custom builds in .223 Wylde with a 20 inch stainless barrel and it will shoot ragged hole groups at 100 yards.

15. Banned
    All I know is when I hear commando civilians parrot "mil spec" I laugh.

16. Banned
    All I know is when I hear commando civilians parrot "mil spec", I laugh.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jarednk View Post
    All I know is when I hear commando civilians parrot "mil spec", I laugh.
    Why would you laugh, when used in the proper context, is accurate?

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    Why would you laugh, when used in the proper context, is accurate?
    they say it, thinking it means "the best"

19. Member
    do any of you guys build them for somebody or sell them

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jarednk View Post
    they say it, thinking it means "the best"
    Ahh, gotcha. Yeah, not the best. More like loose and shitty with the intent of running in the most terrible environments possible with the longest, heaviest trigger pull known to man. Unless talking about buffer tube size, then always go milspec over commercial.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast