2018 Ranger RT178 w/ Merc 75 HP 4 stroke Best Motor Mounting Position

Just purchased a Ranger RT178 and waiting to have it built. Just joined BBC and have found it's members to be a wealth of knowledge. Before I leave the dealership wanted to ask RT178 owners with the 75 HP Merc which mounting position has worked best for them so I can have it set to the optimum position. Also, any prop advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

My optimax is in the 2nd hole ... 19p
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

3. Member
    I have a RT178 with a 75HP 4 stroke and the motor is mounted in the second hole from the top. I changed the prop to a 17 P stainless spitfire and the boat handles much better and is easier to steer.

4. Member
    Thanks for the info! Looks like the second hole is the place to be. I think the prop coming with it is the Black Max 13 dia/19 pitch. After I break it in I'll evaluate and maybe look at the 17 P stainless spitfire. The boat probably won't come in until January so I'll have to wait for the ice to come off the lakes in Michigan.

5. Member
    I want to raise mine to the third hole after installing the X7.
    2016 Ranger RT178 white
    75 4S Merc, VesselView Mobile
    Simrad Go7, Baystar hydro, SpitFire X7 17p

6. Member
    Thanks Deerchaser. You'll have to let me know how it runs.

7. Member
    Just got my RT 178 75 4s with a 13 dia/19pitch black max with jack plate and I hit 40.8 gps. Really happy with the boat. Happy with everything but the trailer jack, I changed that already at the advice to this forum. Good advice.

8. Member
    Maxo is your motor in the second hole from the top

9. Member
    Thanks maxo. I'll probably run mine "as received" through break-in and then decide if I want a Spitfire X7 or stay with stock and use the money on fishing gear.

From reviews on this forum I too have already purchased the heavy duty Fulton jack even though my boat is a month or so from delivery. It is a solid looking jack!

If you don't mind me asking, did you order your boat new from the factory and if you did, how long did it take to come in? I'm working with the Grandville Cabela's in Michigan and their estimate was 8 to 10 weeks. BTW, the sales guy at Cabelas, Nick Farris, is fantastic and the reason I bought from them, even though it's 2 hours from my home.

I don’t own one. But I do have a friend the started out with a 60 on his. And we switch it out to a 75. I mounted the motor in the 3rd hole down. Put a X7 17p on it. And she’ll run 41 with just me. With the friend it 39. Boat doesn’t porpoise at all. And this is not trimming up passed a neutral steering position. So the boat drives the best it can. Without having a JP.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

11. Member
    Glenn that is the exact information I was looking for. I put a X7 17 P on my RT178 with a 75HP motor and it was a nice improvement but the boat does porpoise at higher speeds. I am trying to figure out what to try next that might help lowering the motor or maybe prop work or just live with it. Is the neutral position when the steering gets easy turning right or left.

Quote Originally Posted by fishon396 View Post
    Glenn that is the exact information I was looking for. I put a X7 17 P on my RT178 with a 75HP motor and it was a nice improvement but the boat does porpoise at higher speeds. I am trying to figure out what to try next that might help lowering the motor or maybe prop work or just live with it. Is the neutral position when the steering gets easy turning right or left.
    Yes, steering equal right-left. But you would need to rise the motor. Unless it’s in the 4th hole down from the top. Best we found is motor in the 3rd hole down.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

13. Member
    Your right I need to raise the motor to get to the third hole from the top. I will do that in the spring. Thanks Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by fishon396 View Post
    Your right I need to raise the motor to get to the third hole from the top. I will do that in the spring. Thanks Glenn

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

15. Member
    Well Im in the third hole, no change. High steer torgue to the point it sticks. I can trim way up then the boat pulls to the right, steering is great, trim down, pulls to the left, steering sucks. While trimmed up to easy steer I have no spray from the side of the boat and is teeters left and right.
    2016 Ranger RT178 white

16. Member
    fishon, you are right I am second hole from the top. Sometimes I just see stupid. Thanks for the correction I would have hated to tell someone wrong information and cause them trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Deerchaser View Post
    Well Im in the third hole, no change. High steer torgue to the point it sticks. I can trim way up then the boat pulls to the right, steering is great, trim down, pulls to the left, steering sucks. While trimmed up to easy steer I have no spray from the side of the boat and is teeters left and right.
    This would indicate that you are riding on just the last 6” of the hull. Your running with just the motor foot in the water. Which this can happen, racers try to achieve this. Your prop for this size boat, could just be to much. A four blade with more bow lift and not so much stern lift is what’s needed.

So you actually have the boat running the fastest, and officiant it can. It’s just not enjoyable to drive. Adding a setback or jackplate to get the motor back some. So the hull can settle down more is what I would do from this point.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

18. Member
    Thanks Glenn, I may just leave it alone. Wanting an Ultrex bad. Am I the only one with this problem? I know theres many X7s..
    2016 Ranger RT178 white

Quote Originally Posted by Deerchaser View Post
    Thanks Glenn, I may just leave it alone. Wanting an Ultrex bad. Am I the only one with this problem? I know theres many X7s..
    Your the only one I know of with a X7 on a 75hp, on a 178.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.