Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Yes Sir Rude,
    Took off all carbs, got bowls fixed and 99.9% orings are in place. Was the oring your issue or have you yet to find the problem?

What are the chances this could just be bad thermostats? I did replace them but.... I've seen stranger things.

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jackson_ranger View Post
    Yes Sir Rude,
    Took off all carbs, got bowls fixed and 99.9% orings are in place. Was the oring your issue or have you yet to find the problem?

What are the chances this could just be bad thermostats? I did replace them but.... I've seen stranger things.
    Funny you asked. The first issue was two blown orings. That was a high speed miss/bog, say above 4000 until it just got worse and worse.After carb rebuild it ran good for the next few trips and then it got a hiccup on takeoff, gradually getting worse. I tore the carbs down again, replaced power pack (Blue sky,Green grass? Thanks Championman) and that caused a few more issues that Championman diagnosed rather quickly after i put a timing light on it.

Wound up taking it to a retired mechanic and he found three cover plate gaskets tore. If you are familiar with them the entire port section was ripped as if the plate was overtightened against a raised surface. To my knowledge both surfaces are flat and i used a torque wrench and omc manual specs.

That fixed my takeoff bog issues and i never thought of looking at those gaskets when i tore down carbs second time. I also didn't put a new kit in them, otherwise i guess i would have found them.

Excellent help on this forum but there is a disconnect, i'm sure most of the techs here could diagnose a problem quickly if the motor was in their shop. Good luck and don't get down on it, it could be something very simple that you may be overlooking. Best of luck

3. Member
    Thanks Rude, I agree 100% that this could be something pretty easy. It is just difficult to relay the small things that I may be taking for granted.

I will go ahead and check out the gaskets again.

In addition I pulled all my spark plugs and they were only slightly "wet" and discolored
    .. not overly fouled.

I really appreciate your input, it does make me want to sell the damn thing off... lol

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude196
    Excellent help on this forum but there is a disconnect, i'm sure most of the techs here could diagnose a problem quickly if the motor was in their shop.
    Not quite sure what you mean by this comment?

5. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Maybe he is trying to say it would be easier if the motor was in your shop Fred,,,,

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

6. Member
    That engine has a vapor separator I believe. Might check for trash in it, bad needle valve on the Vapor float, fuel filter clogged in the separator, etc...

Also, have you tested the VRO pump, per the manual.

Either way it sounds like a fuel deliver issue. Being that you can push in to choke and it runs better (technically it is not a choke at all in the traditional sense, it is an enrichment solenoid). The engine should almost die, drop in RPM significantly when key is pushed, after has warmed up to operating temp.

You can replace thermostats all day long, they won't fix the problem, also I would advise against running the engine with this condition. Testing is one thing, but running the engine for extended periods is another. With a lean condition.

Does it always exhibit this issue?

Have your performed a link n' sync?

You have a manual for this engine, correct?
    Last edited by moetorola; 12-11-2017 at 05:46 PM.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Not quite sure what you mean by this comment?
    I mean that you and others have to rely on the poster's diligence. Or as Omcforever posted below.

8. Member
    I have parts for the vst on order.

The VRO is disconnected.

Yes, the issue is consistant at the exact same rpms

It is linked and sync'd (can have checked again)

I tried ordering manual from link in the sticky page and it says I cannot... so looking for one now.

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Why won't it let you?

10. Member
    Check the fuel line ,I had a same issue ..the inline white filter as well clogged with inner fuel line derbis..ethanol killed completely.. Good luck

11. Member
    Went back to site and was able to download manual ChanpioNman.

I just pulled the fuel line at the filter, it was clean. I will check again. Thanks!

12. Member
    Still no progress here... I'm going to start from the fuel tanks and replace everything to the motor.

The service manual has my exact issue listed and each suggested "fix" is pointed to fuel restriction, air leak or carb issues.

I'll keep this updated as I make progress.
    Last edited by jackson_ranger; 01-05-2018 at 08:38 AM.

13. Member
    Still working on this but have a question, when pumping the primer bulb I am watching the fuel at the fuel bracket that mounts to the lower cowling. I can see it move towards the motor when I sqweeze then as I let go it flows backaway from the motor, is this carb problem? I can squeez real fast and build up pressure but it is not like it used to be. I just replaced the primer with and off brand (waiting on OMC) but before I started having issues I could pump it and it would get nice and firm. Thoughts please.
    Last edited by jackson_ranger; 01-07-2018 at 01:22 PM.

14. Member
    Just before I tore into the VST I was getting frustrated and sqweezed the primer a little harded than usual. I noticed a very faint sound so I sqweezed a little harder. The gasket around the VST was letting air out (and in) so.... got that buttoned up and low and behold!!!! My starter went out! Lol! Ordering one today.... will let you know how it runs once I'm back on water... please say a little prayer for me that the VST was the problem! ��

15. Member
    No change.... and no hair left.....

16. Member
    did you ever figure it out it out have simular issues were it seems to have to much fuel pressure. Did you try to run it on a external tank? I am going to try that or a electic fuel pump to see if that fixes it

17. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    BrentGoss Don't install electric fuel pump. For one it is very unsafe and two, diagnose and figure out the real issue. Then do proper parts replacement and/or repair.

18. Member
    I have already tried 3 different dealers and 1500 later still there. don't think the pump is that risky as new motors have them and they can be rigged to shut down. plus if it fits the issue then I can figure what needs to be fixed vs waiting weeks with little results from a dealer

19. Member
    omcforever hopefully I did not offend you was not my intention. not a lot of good omc dealers close that work on older motors.

20. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Didn't offend me at all. If that's how you plan to proceed, go for it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast