Smile Helix 10 SI Mega

I need to give it a ! Used it today for the first time. Playing with it on the kitchen table doesn't do it justice. The SI is amazing (didn't use the DI) and the 2D, even with my Compact SI transducer, is excellent. Too bad the fish didn't seem to care.
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

2. Banned
    Wait.....you have a compact SI xdcr?

Where's the Mega xdcr??

3. Member
    Congratulations on your new Helix. My Helix 10 Mega Si just came UPS today. Now I just need time to install it.

Quote Originally Posted by Schins View Post
    Wait.....you have a compact SI xdcr?

Where's the Mega xdcr??
    Using a splitter cable and both a Mega and Compact transducer. Mega is on the left side of the engine and the Compact on the right. I have the Mega raised above the bottom of the hull to protect it and use the Compact for 2D while on plane.

Much Thanks to Wayne P. for helping me sort that one out.
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    USAF Ret

5. Member
    When using 2 separate transducers with the Helix and Y cable.
    Do you set the compact as the 2D source and Mega for DI/SI and leave it that way?
    I have the unused transducer that shipped with my bow Helix g2n GPS unit.
    I wonder if I could put it to good use like that as well?

Scott

6. Member
    Whats the benefit of using the mega and compact transducers at the same time?

7. Member
    In this case it's mounting the Mega above the bottom of the hull to protect it and use the compact below to use for depth while running on plane.

I just looked at the transducer that came with the Helix GPS, it's a XNT 9 20 T.

Quote Originally Posted by tweakjr View Post
    When using 2 separate transducers with the Helix and Y cable.
    Do you set the compact as the 2D source and Mega for DI/SI and leave it that way?
    I have the unused transducer that shipped with my bow Helix g2n GPS unit.
    I wonder if I could put it to good use like that as well?

Scott
    You can't "set" the source using a Y cable. It is electrical connections. He has connected the 83/200 kHz crystal in the Compact SI transducer for 2D sonar. He already had that and did not need to purchase another transducer for the 2D sonar.

ANY transducer that has a 83/200 kHz crystal can be used for 2D/Depth that works with a Helix or number series unit (7-pin plug).
    You can use the same ones for the same purpose with a ONIX or SOLIX using the AD 1429 adapter.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Additional note:

I have an original XTM 9 SI 180 T (before the internal shielding was added) with a failed SI crystal. That could be used instead of a XP 9 20 for a shoot-thru application with Y cable and SI transducer.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Whats the benefit of using the mega and compact transducers at the same time?
    I want to protect the seriously expensive Mega transducer as most of the lakes I fish are stump-laden mine fields. While not perfect, mounting the Mega higher on the transom affords some protection especially while on plane. I still need to watch backing into something but I'm also using the Transducer Shield and Saver Mega bracket and spring mount (with the extra spring they recommend).

The Compact SI transducer from my Helix 7 is mounted so I can read depth at speed. Since Chirp is a function of software I don't lose the functionality by using the adapter cable. 2D Chirp comes thru loud and clear.
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    USAF Ret

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    You can't "set" the source using a Y cable. It is electrical connections. He has connected the 83/200 kHz crystal in the Compact SI transducer for 2D sonar. He already had that and did not need to purchase another transducer for the 2D sonar.

ANY transducer that has a 83/200 kHz crystal can be used for 2D/Depth that works with a Helix or number series unit (7-pin plug).
    You can use the same ones for the same purpose with a ONIX or SOLIX using the AD 1429 adapter.
    What I meant by "set" was how you choose the 2d/si/di/360/gps source under the different tabs in the network setup screen.

My question is, how would I direct the Helix to use the XNT 9 20 T for 2D then the Mega transducer for SI/DI?
    Will there be another choice under the network source tabs like I see now?
    Also, would the XNT 9 20 0 T offer the jigging mode feature if used for 2d? I noticed when I use the US2 builtin on my ulterra as the 2d source, jigging mode is not available.
    Last question, how far below the hull should the transducer stick out for on-plane depth to be viable? Any pictures would be great.

Just curious since questions are free.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by tweakjr View Post
    What I meant by "set" was how you choose the 2d/si/di/360/gps source under the different tabs in the network setup screen.

My question is, how would I direct the Helix to use the XNT 9 20 T for 2D then the Mega transducer for SI/DI?
    Will there be another choice under the network source tabs like I see now?
    Also, would the XNT 9 20 0 T offer the jigging mode feature if used for 2d? I noticed when I use the US2 builtin on my ulterra as the 2d source, jigging mode is not available.
    Last question, how far below the hull should the transducer stick out for on-plane depth to be viable? Any pictures would be great.

Just curious since questions are free.
    Scott

There is no difference between a SI transducer by itself and a SI/2D transducer combo with Y cable. The connection to the unit is the same. The unit doesn't know where the sonar elements are, just that they are connected. When the Y cable is used, the 2D crystal in the SI transducer is not connected, the added 2D transducer is connected in its place.

The Ethernet menu choice is the unit the transducer is connected to.

Jigging Model is for SI units ONLY. It's only purpose to change the ping sequence when using 83/200 kHz with Imaging. Jigging Mode ON sets the ping sequence to 2D priority, and Jigging Mode OFF sets the ping sequence to Imaging priority.
    That setting was added a few years ago to fix the 83 kHz glitch (double pixeling) when the 360 accessory was first activated.

The installation instructions state and illustrate to have 1/2 of the transducer thickness below the hull bottom. Adjust as needed.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

^^^ It's the adapter cable that splits the signal. No 2D wires going to the Mega transducer.
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    USAF Ret

14. Member
    Ahhhhh I get it now.

So as far as the jigging mode, should I leave it on all the time since I have a 360 too?
    The manual describes it as slowing down the chart speed on 2d.