Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I refuse to shop at Home Depot because of this policy.

2. Member
    My experience is that Lowes gives the 10% discount for everything but home depot does not. Bought a bunch of wood for a privacy fence at Home Depot and they told me they do not give the 10% for wood, that the 10% only applies to certain items. Guy said he was sorry and thanked me for my service. Don't go to Home Depot unless I have to.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I'm in Lowe's all the time, so much that the cashiers know me by name. Here in FL if you are a Vet, when you get your DL and show them your DD214 they put a V on your license. All you have to do is to flash your license and you get the discount. At Lowe's it is on everything. About a month ago I got an email from Lowe's to reverify my veteran status as they were upgrading their system. They now link it also to your Lowe's card so if you use it, you get the discount automatically. Home Depot has changed their policy don't know why. It's rare for me to go to the Depot any more.

4. Matt20xd
    Quote Originally Posted by Jocephus View Post
    I refuse to shop at Home Depot because of this policy.
    Why do to feel HD, or any private business ows you a discount based on your career choice?
    I do appreciate those that choose to join the armed forces but in today's time it is a choice.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt20xd View Post
    Why do to feel HD, or any private business ows you a discount based on your career choice?
    I do appreciate those that choose to join the armed forces but in today's time it is a choice.
    They don't owe me a discount. I just choose to give my business to Lowe's and show my appreciation for their policy instead.

6. Banned
    I think what he is referring to is Home Depot's erratic policy. I am grateful to any company that offers any form of military/veterans discount, but I also expect some form of consistency, that is all.

7. Member
    Spotsylvania, Va. 22553. Near Frederi mm lcksburg, Va
    I frequent Lowes quite a bit too. I'm a Vet and asked about the discount and was told it was only for active duty. I hane a Lowes card so I get a discount via that.

8. Member
    "lost my business forever" = "except I happened to be there already so I went ahead and bought something from them", but probably only because it was known ahead of time the discount would be given. Sold out the principles for a buck!

On a more serious note: thank you all for your service. I absolutely appreciate, enjoy, and exercise the freedoms and rights you served to protect.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

Quote Originally Posted by 1781ccT;[B
    8875523]"lost my business forever" = "except I happened to be there already so I went ahead and bought something from them", but probably only because it was known ahead of time the discount would be given. Sold out the principles for a buck![/B]

On a more serious note: thank you all for your service. I absolutely appreciate, enjoy, and exercise the freedoms and rights you served to protect.
    I hear the criticism there so if I have to explain myself, here's the reason. As I stated, Lowes didn't have the color of Mapai grout we wanted in sanded, so I chose to use Custom grout from Home Depot. I prefer to use setting products and additives of the same brand so I picked up a bottle of Custom grout sealer for the Custom grout. I didn't get the discount on the two bags of grout nor did expect it for the sealer when I walked in the store. I didn't "sell out" anything!

Does that answer your questions about my integrity?

What did you do during the war?
    Last edited by SoonerFan; 11-22-2017 at 10:25 AM.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Home Depot sucks!
    Go to Lowes.com page and follow the Military discount directions to collect the discount with every purchase. It ask for name, branch of service and dates. It takes only a minute or two and anything you purchase, it automatically applies the military discount without having to show anything.

11. Member
    I strongly suspect there may be several on this site, like me, who did not have a choice. I don't expect anything from anybody but have to question HD's values when determining who qualifies for their discount.

12. Member
    I don't think it is a matter of the majority of vets thinking that Private companies owe them anything...but kind of like good service...customers are going to take their business to companies that are a positive experience when they shop there...For some that is someone thanking them for their service by giving them a markdown on price...

13. Member

Mine was not a choice . In 1965 i was drafted.
    Larry Plummer
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL PD
    1994 Johnnson 200 Venom
    2006 Tracker Pt170
    2006 Merc. 25hp 4 stroke

Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    I don't think it is a matter of the majority of vets thinking that Private companies owe them anything...but kind of like good service...customers are going to take their business to companies that are a positive experience when they shop there...For some that is someone thanking them for their service by giving them a markdown on price...
    This^^^^
    I never even thought of getting a military discount until the girl at Home Depot asked me if I was a Vet because I had a Tinker CU debit card. I don't expect it and don't go around asking for it. The only other business that I get it from is Tackle Warehouse.

I've always said that I got a lot more out of the Air Force than the Air Force got out of me. I was an 18 year old kid who had dropped out of high school during Vietnam. My brother who had done two enlistments in the USAF persuaded me to join. I got my GED and then used the GI Bill to go to college, bought the house I'm still living in with no down payment thanks to the GI Bill, and most of all got my life going in a forward direction. I don't expect anything but if I see a dollar bill on the ground, I'm going to bend over and pick it up.

I would be okay if they would take my 10% and donate it to some veterans charity.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

15. Member
    Lowes is no questions asked. I don't even have to tell them, when I use my Lowe's card they already know.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    I hear the criticism there so if I have to explain myself, here's the reason. As I stated, Lowes didn't have the color of Mapai grout we wanted in sanded, so I chose to use Custom grout from Home Depot. I prefer to use setting products and additives of the same brand so I picked up a bottle of Custom grout sealer for the Custom grout. I didn't get the discount on the two bags of grout nor did expect it for the sealer when I walked in the store. I didn't "sell out" anything!

Does that answer your questions about my integrity?

What did you do during the war?
    I wasn't born yet.

So let me get this straight: you walked into the store to buy something, proceed to tell the cashier Home Depot had probably lost your business forever (because you felt "fine printed" - a decision you obviously made prior to walking in the store that day (probably some time around the time you returned the paint) - but continued to buy the product you *wanted* to buy. You didn't *need* to buy that particular product. You said it yourself: you *prefer* to match brands and you bought other Mapei products from HD on the same bathroom project. But Mapei is a global brand. It's even available at Lowe's, online if not in-store. It's available at floor covering stores. But you bought something from Home Depot the same visit you made the comment about losing your business. What part of selling out do you not understand?

I made a choice to never purchase or promote Ridgid Tools, or anything made by TTI, which includes Milwaukee and Ryobi brands, because of their customer service toward me regarding their lifetime warranty. They "fine printed" me, too. I didn't find out they had done so until years later when I tried to use their warranty, and was told they hadn't received the UPC code or copy of receipt from the purchase, but admitted I jumped through their other hoops. I had only been separated from my ex-wife a short period when this occurred, but she is something of a receipt hoarder. She had the original receipt, and gave it to me. TTI still would not accept that receipt in any sort of good faith gesture toward me, nor offer any one-time service or discounted batteries (which is what I needed). So I told them I would unload all of my Ridgid Tools and tell everybody who asks about them or their warranty what they had done to me, and I would buy a completely new set of tools that met my needs but were not manufactured or warranted by TTI. So I did. And it wasn't cheap. But I felt, still do, they had treated me poorly as a customer - one who had been unabashedly fanboi-ish over them. I contemplated a Ryobi garage opener because of features I thought I would enjoy, hoping it wasn't made by TTI, but found out it was. I'm still investigating other nationally advertised brands to confirm my other choices aren't made or warranted by TTI. That's an example of holding fast to one's principles.

Huffing and puffing (I realize you said you were nice, but the effect is the same) to a cashier they lost you as a customer, then returning to the same cashier on the same visit to buy a product you could have bought somewhere else is NOT an example of holding fast to your principle. Sorry you can't seem to grasp that concept.
    -David Daye

17. Member
    Being former LEO, County employee, former Military, and senior citizen, ability to search the internet for coupons, i cannot think of one business in my town that i don't get at least 10 per cent off for ANY purchase i make.

18. Member
    So, i just want to make sure i understand this right.
    They previously offered a 10% discount out of the kindness of their heart, and now that they only offer it to active duty you are throwing them the bird and giving them negative plubicity?

This is why people stop doing nice things for others. It becomes expected and then turns around to bite them in the shitter everytime.
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    Being former LEO, County employee, former Military, and senior citizen, ability to search the internet for coupons, i cannot think of one business in my town that i don't get at least 10 per cent off for ANY purchase i make.
    My wife hates going with me to the checkout cause i add up all the 10 per centers and the sale price and cuss the clerks out for not giving me 60 per cent off.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The gurg View Post
    So, i just want to make sure i understand this right.
    They previously offered a 10% discount out of the kindness of their heart, and now that they only offer it to active duty you are throwing them the bird and giving them negative plubicity?

This is why people stop doing nice things for others. It becomes expected and then turns around to bite them in the shitter everytime.
    This guy gets it, regarding expectations. They changed a policy they were not required to offer in the first place.

But as I said before, I thank EVERYBODY for their service. Even SoonerFan!
    -David Daye

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast