Thread: G3 Sportsman 18

Not Banned

G3 Sportsman 18

Anybody running this boat?

2. LDraper
    I have the 17 and I could not be happier with it. Great on fuel use, goes in skinny water like a dream. The only thing I have found negative about the boat so far is that the compartments are not leak proof.

3. Not Banned
    Thanks. There's very little info floating around on these boats that I can find.

4. Member
    I just bought a 2018 17 ft. Sportsman and have just about finished going through the 10 hour break in. So far I really like the boat as it can go in places that my glass rig cannot. I made some upgrades to boat when I ordered it such as stainless prop instead of the stock aluminum, retractable tie down straps for the trailer, Aluminium trailer vs. the painted one, upgraded the rims as well, Lowrance Elite 9" sonar/gps at the console, 70v trolling motor and and a 3 bank onboard charger, extra rod bungee strap for the front deck. I put cargo netting in the large front box to keep items from sliding down to the bottom of the box while running on the water. I also went with the marine grade vinyl instead of carpet for easy clean up as well as not having the extra weight of wet rain soaked carpet. This boat really jumps out of the hole quickly with 90 hp motor. It takes some getting use to the quietness of a four stroke but I like being able to talk and hear what the passenger is saying while running wide open. I would like to put another graph on the front once I find the right spot for it. As stated above it has great fuel mileage.

5. Not Banned
    Thanks. Good to hear.

6. Member
    I have a Sportsman 17 as well and im very pleased with it.

7. Not Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Fear View Post
    I just bought a 2018 17 ft. Sportsman and have just about finished going through the 10 hour break in. So far I really like the boat as it can go in places that my glass rig cannot. I made some upgrades to boat when I ordered it such as stainless prop instead of the stock aluminum, retractable tie down straps for the trailer, Aluminium trailer vs. the painted one, upgraded the rims as well, Lowrance Elite 9" sonar/gps at the console, 70v trolling motor and and a 3 bank onboard charger, extra rod bungee strap for the front deck. I put cargo netting in the large front box to keep items from sliding down to the bottom of the box while running on the water. I also went with the marine grade vinyl instead of carpet for easy clean up as well as not having the extra weight of wet rain soaked carpet. This boat really jumps out of the hole quickly with 90 hp motor. It takes some getting use to the quietness of a four stroke but I like being able to talk and hear what the passenger is saying while running wide open. I would like to put another graph on the front once I find the right spot for it. As stated above it has great fuel mileage.
    I repositioned the front graph on my Eagle talon 17 dlx to straddle above the recessed TM foot contoller well. It is a HDS 7 and sits on top of a Marine Dynamics single bow mount bracket and is rock solid. There is still enough room at the front to get to TM plug and trim switch. I used to have a HB 698 mounted to the starboard side of the bow as per the the original factory position. There is a lot more room now on that side of the bow. Its made life easier and added to fishability of boat.

9. Member
    Could you possibly post a pic of the graph mount up front. The only thing I have to go off of is a pic on the G3 site of a 2018 Sportsman 19' that show a small graph on the bow.

No problem. I can try to pm you the photo. Ive tried to post photos on this forum but the file size is too big and I cannot upload.

Photo of bow mount

Here it is. Let me know what u think.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Photo of bow mount

Another photo

13. Member
    Thanks for posting the pic. That is probably the area I will mount my next graph add on. I didn't want to mount it on the starboard bow area as it would be in the way getting in and out of the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Fear View Post
    Thanks for posting the pic. That is probably the area I will mount my next graph add on. I didn't want to mount it on the starboard bow area as it would be in the way getting in and out of the boat.
    Good call. I wouldn't do that either. I tried various locations and this way works for me. Now its easier to lay down rods on the starboard side and get in and out of the boat. The sounder I had mounted on starboard side of the bow deck used to get in the way a lot and I was always making sure not to step on it. This set-up is much better IMO.

15. Member
    Follow up question for you guys with the Sportman's 17 &18. Can you attach one shallow water anchor like a Power Pole or Talon without it effecting the boats warranty?
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com

16. Member
    I don't know the answer to that but my guess is if you call the G3 factory they will probably tell you that the warranty is good as long as a G3 dealer does the install.

17. Not Banned
    According to my dealer, you can. I only put one on the 19 just because I've never used one and wasn't sure it would be worth the extra money for 2. The 17, 18 and 19 are the same boats from the console back according to the dealer I used. Space is tight for the 2 pumps but it will work I think.

18. Member
    Thank you for the replies, I have reached out to G3 via email, with the same question and still no reply.. :( Thanks again!!
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com