jack plate problem and question

I've got a 99 sprint with a 200 merc efi mounted on a jack plate. I don't know off the top of my head what size JP it is. Anyways, when I bought the bought, it took forever for it to plane off. So I got on here and did a few searches to see what the issue was. I measured my pad to prop shaft and I was about 2.5 inches. I lowered the JP and got it around 3.5. Took it to the river and the hole shot was a lot better the first time but then when I went to let off the throttle, it stuck. I had to kill the engine. I got it home and it looked like the throttle cable was getting stiff so I put a new one on. Went back to river and now when you give it throttle, itll go back down but gradually build rpms sitting at idle on its on. I looked under the hood and the throttle is not closing all the way. I can move it back manually each time it does it but the cable won't. Its a new cable. Is it possible that lowering the jack plate put the cables in a bind? My boat has a 2" or so tube that the cables are running thru to the motor.

Also, the hole shot will be good when you first get there but it seems the more you crank and move the worse it gets.

19.5' Sprint 200 merc efi 23 pitch fury prop

2. Member
    Do you have a hot foot on it?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    Do you have a hot foot on it?
    Yes I do.

4. Member
    Check the spring tension on the hot foot and make sure it will pull the throttle closed. Usually they can be adjusted.

5. Member
    Spring tension is good. I just re measured the prop to pad. To make sure I'm doing this correctly, I measured from the very bottom of the boat at the back to my floor. Leveled the motor and measured to the center of the prop shaft. I must have mis measured last time cause I was at 1.75 inches. I lowered it as far as I could get it down and it's 2.5 now. It won't go any lower. It's a 10" pro jacker.

6. Member
    Look at all the connections and make sure it's not binding but it still sounds like not enough tension on the spring. Which set of holes are the top bolts in now? Since that is an older boat and motor check your fuel line and see if it is gray with red letters from the bulb to the motor and if it is you need to change it to the new gray with blue or black letters. Read this post and do everything on it if you have to change fuel lines. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=22490

7. Banned