Can you reuse transom bolts and nuts?

Can I reuse the bolts and nuts that holds my motor to the transom? Last week I went to a service dealer to talk about having my jackplate install on my boat and he told me that it will be ok to reuse the transom bolts and nuts but he would need to order new bolts and nuts for the motor to jackplate.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

If they are in good condition no reason not to reuse them.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

4. Member
    Can you reuse them? Maybe. I have on my own boat. It’s not a good idea and doesn’t add that much to the install. You don’t have a jackplate at this time? You are installing one?

Bolts in good condition and show no signs of corrosion, yes. I would replace the nuts.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

I just replaced my jackplate , and felt it was cheap insurance in the grand scheme of things. Set for transom and set for motor from Don

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kercha83 View Post
    Can I reuse the bolts and nuts that holds my motor to the transom? Last week I went to a service dealer to talk about having my jackplate install on my boat and he told me that it will be ok to reuse the transom bolts and nuts but he would need to order new bolts and nuts for the motor to jackplate.
    I would NOT re-use any of the fasteners. Installing a new jackplate is the perfect time to replace all the hardware, since the transom fasteners are sealed to the transom.

8. Member
    And upgrade to 9/16" hardware, at least on the top bolts.

Won't tell anyone not to ~~~~
    But I will tell you this -- all SIX of mine are original after two j-plates and 3 motors. I do re torque them on a REGULAR basis.
    Do you change lugs and nuts after every tire change ??

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    But I will tell you this -- all SIX of mine are original after two j-plates and 3 motors. I do re torque them on a REGULAR basis.
    I personally don't, because automotive studs are made from a different Alloy.

Do you have to replace all the hardware.......No.

Do I think its a very good idea.....Yes.
    Last edited by Savage; 11-22-2017 at 07:38 AM.

11. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    At the very least. replace the nuts, since they are of the locking type and loose some of their tension from removing and torqueing over time.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

12. Member
    I'd change just the nuts too because they are the weakest link and usually are made of brass or stainless.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Also, you have 16, 20, 24, or 32 lug nuts holding your car up. And lug nuts have very little extensional force on them. Stainless nuts on a motor are softer/weaker, and the main force on the top bolt is extensional, which is why if there is breakage, it's almost always one of the top bolts.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    And upgrade to 9/16" hardware, at least on the top bolts.
    I went with 5/8 myself. Don't feel good with little 1/2in bolts holding 500 lb motor 2 poles and plate.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

15. Member
    The tensile or axial loading is a non issue for the bolts. Using similar materials for the nut and bolt as in this case both can be 300 series SST (austenitic SST) can cause galling. I would visually inspect the threads for damage and if the nut came off smoothly it would be fine to re-use the bolts. The nuts are usually SST or brass with nylon inserts. The brass is softer then the SST and will wear at a higher rate which limits its service life. Also the nylon insert does wear and loses its retention ability so it is a good idea in both cases to replace the nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by kercha83 View Post
    Last edited by leo13; 11-29-2017 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    Also, you have 16, 20, 24, or 32 lug nuts holding your car up. .
    Most trailers have 5 per wheel which is one less than the number of transom bolts on my rig.
    I'm surprised that ALL boat makers are not using six transom bolts with the HP some of these rigs are using..
    If I was a shop owner working on others boats I would use new bolts just to CMA !!
    Just how many correctly installed broken transom bolts have you ever seen ??----That was not the result of additional factors.??
    Last edited by fishnfireman; 11-23-2017 at 07:18 AM.

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    I went with 5/8 myself. Don't feel good with little 1/2in bolts holding 500 lb motor 2 poles and plate.
    Shouldn't be holding ANYTHING but the engine. Those other devices should not be on engine hardware.

Viable arguments can be made on either side of the debate. One can say "safest to replace"- which I'd agree is usually the case. Then somebody pipes up and says "but new doesn't necessarily mean GOOD now, does it"?

So... unless you're really comfortable with making a judgement call on the hardware, it's probably best to simply replace it with new, warranted (OEM) hardware.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Sometimes for me when doing a job like this new hardware is just nice because it makes it cleaner and easier. In this case no silicone to remove from the old bolts and you get some peace of mind too. Its not like its $100s saved.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.