Clear Water & A Rig

For those of you that fish clear water a lot like we have here on Dale Hollow and Center Hill, what is your set up in regards to line? Do you still go straight braid or do you go with a fluoro leader to your braid? Or just straight fluoro? I like the idea of using a fluoro leader, but I am afraid of the beating the knot might take while casting over and over.
    2004 Triton TR21X * 2021 Mercury 250 4 stroke

2. Member
    I personally don't see the need for a fluorocarbon leader if using braid. If the "close hanger" holding the baits doesn't bother the fish, I don't think the braided line will either. LOL I throw mine on either 20lb fluorocarbon or mono 90% of the time.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerR93 View Post
    I personally don't see the need for a fluorocarbon leader if using braid. If the "close hanger" holding the baits doesn't bother the fish, I don't think the braided line will either. LOL I throw mine on either 20lb fluorocarbon or mono 90% of the time.
    Good point. You would think that if anything was going to spook the fish it would be the 2 oz worth of wires and lead heads.

4. Member
    I always use 20 lb fluoro in clear water. I seem to get more bites with straight fluoro. I don't think it is a matter of them seeing the line, it is more the sound of the braid running thru the guides being transmitted down the line and the fish picking it up. Just my 2 cents.

5. Member
    I use 65lb braid in clear water with the A-rig and not a problem

6. Member
    The only thing I have against the braid.... you can hear it going through the guides in the water.
    Scott with Hogfarmer, did a video tied to power pro and you could hear a noise as it was coming through the water. On the fall, or a stop, the noise stopped. Turned out to be the braid.
    But when you think about it, it works just like the can and rope telephone trick.
    That being said.... Id rather not catch a couple fish and not lose 35$ worth of rig/baits, so I throw braid. Even on clear water such as South Holston and Norris.
    The only switch I made was going to a smoother higher strand braid that does not sound like a saw going through your guides.

7. Banned
    straight mono

If all the wire doesn’t scare them, the fishing line sure isn’t going to scare no matter what kind.

9. Member
    Seems like there is a big difference of opinions on this. I like the idea of sticking with braid but using the slick to avoid as much noise from the guides as possible. I do worry about losing the $ that comes with fishing the Rig with anything other than braid.

10. Member
    I use 20 co-poly but I've been thinking about switching to braid. Lose 2 many rigs.

11. Member
    If I'm fishing deep I use 65lb braid, If I'm fishing in the upper water column I use 20lb Yozuri Hybrid.

12. Member
    I’ve found a bunch of a rigs in underwater bushes on Cumberland with a piece of braid attached to them. I have used my 18ft. telescopic pole style retriever & got them. I also find several Rapala slivers used for striper fishing. That pole is the best money I’ve ever spent when I comes to fishing. I have a bunch of a rigs hanging on my garage wall. Lol

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    I’ve found a bunch of a rigs in underwater bushes on Cumberland with a piece of braid attached to them. I have used my 18ft. telescopic pole style retriever & got them. I also find several Rapala slivers used for striper fishing. That pole is the best money I’ve ever spent when I comes to fishing. I have a bunch of a rigs hanging on my garage wall. Lol
    Definitely agree. They are worth their weight in gold. Before using the pole though, I use the hound dog. Its heavy enough to go over the head and compress the wires back down. I put it on a retractable dog leash...saves a ton of time.

14. Member
    I am a hound dog man also. I tried putting it on a retractable leash, but the line still broke on me. My set up is drilling out the hole a little and using about 30' of rope that I know 100% is not going to break no matter how much pressure. I have the other end tied to about 1' worth of noodle so that it will float when I drop it in the lake. Because its going to happen. Went through about 4 of them before I decided to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBassCtchr101 View Post
    Definitely agree. They are worth their weight in gold. Before using the pole though, I use the hound dog. Its heavy enough to go over the head and compress the wires back down. I put it on a retractable dog leash...saves a ton of time.

20lb fluro for me

16. Member
    20lb. flouro here also.

I like fluorocarbon on the rig myself.
    Kerry Copeland
    2015 Skeeter ZX250/250 SHO
    Decatur, Alabama

18. Member
    I got my butt handed to me a couple times by a guy throwing mono while i was throwing braid. Like most, i didnt like the idea of losing a rig. I switched to mono on the next trip and i actually caught more than he did, made a believer out of me. I throw it on dale hollow with a fair amount of luck
    They aint got hands, set the hook