Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

19-20' used bass boat wanted

I bought a 1989 Astro Quickfire with a 1989 Black Max 200 from a neighbor. I only paid $1500 for the boat/motor/ trailer combo, and the engine runs excellent. I took my wife fishing many times in the boat in 2016. We love the size, speed & ride, and fishability of the boat. I already made a lot of repairs to the trailer, so the motor and trailer are good to go. The boat has rot under the floorboards, in the stringers and transom. The foam was water logged. I was planning on taking the cap off and overhauling the boat myself. My problem is it never seems like I have time to do anything anymore...lol. I had a total knee replacement completed last week, I'm limited in what I can do until the new year. I'm surfing the net looking for a good used bass boat. I already have one that is water logged, so I'm looking for a boat that has been fixed or maybe stored indoors. I know these boats weren't built very well, but maybe I can get lucky and find a good used boat in the next month.

Anyway, I'm open to any brand boat that I can hang a 200 black max on and go fishing. Or one that has an engine already, I guess I can always sell my engine. I'm hoping I can find something in the $5000- $10,000 range. Everything in the BBC for sale section seems to be $30,000 and more, I'm hoping there is more out there. I live near the Tidewater area of Virginia, I'm not opposed to driving a day or two for the right boat. If anyone knows of a good used bass boat I can buy, please let me know. Thanks in advance

2. BBC SPONSOR
    We have a couple of 18 footers if that would work.

Check out www.bunchmarine.com

Also, there is a Facebook page for used, $10k or less Bass Boats. I can't put the link up cuz I'm on my work pc.
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

4. Member
    I sent you a PM.

There is a Ranger 350V for sale in Wagoner Ok. it has a 150 merc black max on it. I have no idea of cost or condition. It's maroon and gold and the gel coat is hazy. If your interested let me know and I'll go look at it this weekend for you.

i have a buddy that has a 99 ranger with blown motor.
    Cheaper to keep a kid in tourney fishing than paying attorneys to keep them out of jail !!

7. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    That would be me, 1999 Ranger R93- hydraulic steering, 6" manual jackplate, two Humminbird 900(997 &998) graphs on ram mounts, Minnkota maxum 80 lb foot control trolling motor two brand new endurance tires on single axle trailer oh and a 2002 Evinrude 200hp with number 4 cylinder at 0 lb compression. PM me if interested.
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

8. Member
    http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/...ss_Boat#UNREAD
    I don't know this boat at all but saw it and thought about this thread

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have tried to research boats that don't rot. I guess the determining factor would be materials used & manufacturing technics used when building a bass boat. I have learned some, and have several questions.

It would seem a boat like a Allison that is an all composite design would not rot, but I know all composites have strengths and weaknesses that would have to be taken into consideration before using it in a boat.

My 1989 Astro used wood under the floors, and was not glass coated to protect it (it was sprayed on the base of stringers, but not all the way up, leaving the top of the stringers bare). The plywood floors were stapled to the stringers, but the underside of the floors were not coated or protected. It was not built with rot protection in mind, It was more of a quick or fast build process that was to favored, leading to more profit.

Many companies got away from using wood, but I'm not sure when this happened with different companies.

1. Did Astro ever get away from wood before merging with Procraft?

2. Did Ranger get away from wood? If so when?

Thanks in advance.

Axel
    Last edited by Axhammer; 11-24-2017 at 08:23 AM.

I don't know about Astro but the general consensus on Ranger is they went to composite transoms in 1989, and fiberglass floors in the mid 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by 11pounder View Post
    I don't know about Astro but the general consensus on Ranger is they went to composite transoms in 1989, and fiberglass floors in the mid 90's.
    Would going to fiberglass floors, mean no more wood stringers under the floors? It seems like leaving wood under the new fiberglass floors would not achieve the desired goal. Is a post mid-90's Ranger a rot-free boat? It seems that is the direction they are trying to go.

12. Member
    We just got a 2003 Stratos 200 ProXL in on trade. It has a bad Mercury on it and we could sell just the boat and trailer. Give me a shout if interested.
    I can send pics and more details. 865-209-0294 Robbie
    Born to fish, forced to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Axhammer View Post
    Would going to fiberglass floors, mean no more wood stringers under the floors? It seems like leaving wood under the new fiberglass floors would not achieve the desired goal. Is a post mid-90's Ranger a rot-free boat? It seems that is the direction they are trying to go.
    Generally yes. And fully encapsulated wood is fine, it's when you start drilling into it and not getting the holes sealed that rot starts. If I'm not mistaken Ranger started using composite stringers when they went to the composite transom.

14. Member
    Keep in mind what "Composite Construction" really means.

Composite construction is a generic term to describe any building construction involving multiple dissimilar materials. Composite construction is often used in building aircraft, watercraft, and building construction. There are several reasons to use composite materials including increased strength, aesthetics, and environmental sustainability.

My Stratos has a badge that says composite construction. Ive had people swear to me there is absolutely no wood in its construction. I can assure you after having it apart there is indeed wood used in its construction. Is it used in the transom and stringers I do not know as I dont have a reason to cut them out. Hopefully they are some sort of synthetic something that doesnt rot.

15. Member
    If you have a good fiberglass repair shop near you, take your boat to them and get an estimate on the repair cost. Then you can decide whether to repair your boat or look for another one.

Quote Originally Posted by tnsnow View Post
    We just got a 2003 Stratos 200 ProXL in on trade. It has a bad Mercury on it and we could sell just the boat and trailer. Give me a shout if interested.
    I can send pics and more details. 865-209-0294 Robbie
    Yes I am interested in a 2003 Stratos 200 ProXL, (and trailer). Is Stratos a boat that had rot problems at one time? Was there a timeframe when Stratos stopped using wood under the floors and in the transom? I am learning as I go here, please provide as much info about Stratos (or any bass boat) concerning wherher or not they have rot problem, or in the past maybe. I don't even know how long Stratos has been making bass boats. I'll research them today. Thanks again for the info! Please send pics to my email, axel1ax@yahoo.com.

Quote Originally Posted by jrodgers View Post
    If you have a good fiberglass repair shop near you, take your boat to them and get an estimate on the repair cost. Then you can decide whether to repair your boat or look for another one.
    It would cost more than it is worth to hire a shop to do the work. I may repair the boat myself one day, who knows? For now I am looking for a replacement boat so I can be on the water this spring. There is a 1995 Astro S-20DC with a 200 Suzuki, about five hours away, it's on Craigslist. As soon as my knee heals a little more, I'll go check it out. I love my 1989 Astro Quickfire 19SC with a 200 Black Max, and the way it handles rough water. A S-20DC with a 200 Suzuki will only work better, compared to the 19SC. The big question is whether or not it is rotting under the floor boards. I'd hate to end up with another rot problem.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 11pounder View Post
    Rangers DO NOT have a composite transom. They have a solid pultruded fiberglass transom, since 1989 at least. Big difference. Composite just means its made of more than one material, not necessarily that it's totally wood-free.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamin_Reel View Post
    Rangers DO NOT have a composite transom. They have a solid pultruded fiberglass transom, since 1989 at least. Big difference. Composite just means its made of more than one material, not necessarily that it's totally wood-free.
    YES!!!!!! This exactly. So many people see conposite construction and think its rot free.

In reality even fiberglass is subject to water intrusion / rot just take a whole lot longer to cause issues.

20. Member
    PM sent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast