Question Upgrading to an Ultrex, Phoenix 618 Shaft lenght?

Fellas, I've decided I'm upgrading the trolling motor on my 618.
    Now the reason I bring the shaft length question up is there's a store selling the 52" Shafts length at a discount, could save 450$

I've got a friend that owns a Astro and hates his Fortrex 52" Shaft, While I have another friend with a Ranger with a 52 +" shaft Fortrex and he has no issues going shallow.

So I figured I would ask here, what's everyone running? Any issues going super shallow with a 52" Shaft?

Thank you

Shawn Dompierre
    Shawn.D
    2015 Phoenix 618pro w/ 150 Evinrude Etec HO

I run a 45” on my 721. Unless you fish deep on big water with 3 + foot waves/swells a lot, I’d go with a 45” shaft. If you fish shallow the shaft will get in the way. If it were me, I’d wait and get the motor that fit my needs. I’ve also heard of issues with the cover not fitting because of the longer shaft TM. Just my 0.02.

$450 is significant.

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

3. Member
    Agree with the above. I have a 52" on my 721 and I love it when I'm out deep, but it can be a pain when I fish a river system with super shallow water. I can only adjust it up so much without it impacting my ability to skip docks, etc. Go with a 45", unless you predominantly fish deep water.

2022 21PHX

Previous boats:
    2017 Phoenix 721 ProXP
    2000 Triton TR186

4. Member
    The 52" wouldn't fit properly on my 819 without modification to the dash and a spacer under the trolling motor. It also doesn't allow the cover to fit properly. I have fished pretty ruff water with a 45" shaft and as long as its all the way down your fine. If its that rough you wont be out there anyway.

5. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    The Ultrex is also heavier than the Fortrex, plus I've heard the 52" is quite heavier than the 45".
    I have a 45" on my 921 and even in pretty decent size waves, it did fine.

The other day, my Ultrex held me solid in 22 mph winds, with gusts up close to 40 mph! Honestly, I was surprised myself.
    I was fishing one side of a point from the front of the boat, and the other side of the point from the back.
    No one else could stay on that point with me. They didn't even try.
    An awesome tool and an advantage over those without.

6. Member
    How much power from the Ultrex? Is that the 112? And 36 volt. And which battery arrangement is best in the Phoenix compartment, one 36 volt, or three 12 volt?
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

7. Member
    I recently sat in one spot for 9 hours in a tournament in sustained 40mph gusts. The Ultrex held me there all day and the boat never moved. I have a 36v 112, and (3) 12 volt group 31 AGM batteries running the thing. They fit just fine in the compartment with room to spare, even with power pole pumps, cranking battery, etc.

2022 21PHX

Previous boats:
    2017 Phoenix 721 ProXP
    2000 Triton TR186

8. Member
    Thanks. I thought it looks like there is room for the pumps and 3 batteries for the electric motor, but had to ask. A new electric motor and batteries are at least 2 years away anyway. And the poles another 2 years after that.
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

9. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoney View Post
    I recently sat in one spot for 9 hours in a tournament in sustained 40mph gusts. The Ultrex held me there all day and the boat never moved. I have a 36v 112, and (3) 12 volt group 31 AGM batteries running the thing. They fit just fine in the compartment with room to spare, even with power pole pumps, cranking battery, etc.
    Same set up, but not AGM's + 10' blades and made room for spare prop to fit in back.

10. Member
    Thanks fellas, would have been nice to save that kind of coin, but it is what it is.
    The Big box store has it at 2749$ Cdn and is having 15% off for their black Friday Special. I'll be going with that.
    Shawn.D

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnD View Post
    Thanks fellas, would have been nice to save that kind of coin, but it is what it is.
    The Big box store has it at 2749$ Cdn and is having 15% off for their black Friday Special. I'll be going with that.
    Rustle Marine is where I got mine for a little less with free shipping . I got the 112 with the 45" shaft
    Good luck

The 52" is not significantly heavier than the 45". I would never get anything less than a 52". Going from a 45" to 52" was the best upgrade I made to my last boat - before that it seemed like anytime I was off shore I spent half the day with my motor out of the water. I do fish bigger water so if you don't then maybe 45" is OK but I can tell you that for me it definitely is not.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    The 52" is not significantly heavier than the 45". I would never get anything less than a 52". Going from a 45" to 52" was the best upgrade I made to my last boat - before that it seemed like anytime I was off shore I spent half the day with my motor out of the water. I do fish bigger water so if you don't then maybe 45" is OK but I can tell you that for me it definitely is not.

Turns out the big box store only has the 52" Shaft! ... -_-

I've been told by many it gets in the way.. I'm mostly worried about my cover fitting.
    I could call Phoenix and ask if they've heard of their customers upgrading and having issues with the cover fitting.
    Shawn.D

Your cover won't fit. And you'll have to add a spacer underneath to get it up over the bow shroud or notch the bow shroud so it fits flush to the deck. You could have an upholstery shop add a little bump out in the cover where the head will go.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

Quote Originally Posted by tmoney View Post
    I recently sat in one spot for 9 hours in a tournament in sustained 40mph gusts.
    So I guess you found the sweet spot.

16. Member
    Just called the last store on the list and got a good deal
    Shawn.D

17. Banned
    99 percent of the time I hate my 52 inch since its raised up as high as my 360 will allow me to raise it.. that other 1 percent of the time is when Im fishing with white capped rollers coming at my boat and its all the way down.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnD View Post
    Just called the last store on the list and got a good deal
    You'll love it. I do mine.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs