Mounting New Graph

Hi everyone I am looking at getting a new Humminbird Helix 10" unit and I would like to install it at the console, preferably directly in front of me and replace the existing one I have that is shown in the photo. Problem is there is not a lot of space to do this and the dash part is not very solid to mount a heavy unit like this one. I have looked through a lot of photos on the internet and I know I can mount it to the side of the fiberglass however I was curious to know if anyone has done anything to install a large unit like i am proposing. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

I have also done a test fit with the Helix 9" unit I use for the front of the boat and space is definitely an issue with the windshield etc...
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Just for reference, here's a pic of a Helix 7 I mounted on my console. I made a mount out of a piece of aluminum and it was pretty solid.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Member
    I have a 12" attached to the railing.
    I made something similar to this:
    https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-271U-2

Then I cut out a V in a hard piece of plastic/rubber material and fastened it to the ram mount. Then laid the ram mount down against the rail and fastened them both with cable ties.
    Something like this. (Basscats had this problem too apparently)
    https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/bass...re-t23371.html

4. Member
    Thanks for the photos. I have thought about downsizing to a 7" and having a bracket made as well but i was curious to see if anyone had some good ideas first. By the way how does the side imaging work on the Humminbird, are you happy with it?

5. Member
    It works pretty good for no more than the unit costs. I mounted the transducer on the jack plate with a second 2D transducer in the bilge for on plane depth readings.

6. Member
    Well i decided to go with the 10". Now i just have to figure out how to mount it. mrdeath, what 2d transducer did you buy for the bilge area? Did you need to get a splitter cable too?

7. Member

8. Member
    I have a 9 touch lowrance mount above the steering wheel no issues just had to make a bracket to lift it up some .

9. Member
    I have a helix12 mounted to the side rail like bigfishctchr101 described. I have had no problems since I mounted it 1 year ago......

10. Member
    Well I got the new 10" Humminbird SI unit and will be looking at having a custom mount made so I can keep it in front of me instead of mounting it on the side. My boat doesn't have the side rail and I would like to avoid mounting on the fiberglass. I also bought the mini stern saver mount that glues to the transom/ hull and was curious where exactly anyone else may have mounted their transducer and how well its been working. Thanks for any insight and advice.

11. Member
    Does anyone have any advice on where I should mount the Side Imaging Transducer on the transom? Photos would help. Thanks. i also have the Stern Saver mount that needs to be epoxied to the transom so i do not have to drill any holes.

12. Member
    I mounted mine to the jack plate, but I had a second transducer epoxied in the bilge for on plane depth reading so it didn't matter that it was out of the water when running. The Humminbird forum has lots of installation threads with pics that might give you some ideas.

13. Member
    I am looking into getting the thru hull transducer and y cable and maybe mounting the side imaging transducer above the pad area where the notch is located that has the drain and pickup lines for the live well.

14. Member
    That may work, you just need to make sure it has a clear line of sight to each side. Before I had a jack plate, I made a mount out of angled aluminum and attached it to the bottom of the motor bracket where the anode is. It stuck out to the right about 6" and that's where I mounted the transducer. It worked fine, but I had to trim the motor up a little so it wasn't in the way.

I have a 2000 year model and the dash is molded for the gauges across the top. I have an Elite 9 Ti on the console, but I needed some more clearance for the curves on the gauges and the windshield. I cut a 2X4 the appropiate length and then cut a 45 lengthwise to allow me to bring the graph forward to clear the windshield and still clear the molded areas. Painted the wood black and screwed in on the flat part of the dash. Brings the graph up so that the steering wheel doesn't interfere with the view of the graph, but it is still protected by the windsheild. If I don't point it out to someone, they never notice it, blends right in with teh balck dash and smoke windshields.

Transducer is another issue entirely!

16. Member
    I have a 2001 coosa and I put a solix 15 at the console and it fits right behind the windshield.