Linking Helix 12 si to smartcraft (sc1000) speedometer gauge

I am wanting to use the internal GPS from my Helix 12 SI ( Gen 1) unit to send GPS speed reading on my smartcraft (sc1000) speedometer. Both the Helix unit and smartcraft gauge are from FY2016 if that matters. My questions are: Can I use the AS-HHGPS cable to tie my Helix 12 SI unit to my smartcraft speedometer to pick up GPS speed? If yes, is it as simple as: 1) splice the white wire from the HHGPS cable to the white wire of the smartcraft gauge, 2) splice the black wire from the HHGPS cable to the blue wire of the smartcraft gauge, 3) terminate the red and green wires from the HHGPS cable, 4) thru the smartcraft tach and speed gauges, set both to pick up GPS speed verses speed from the pitot, and finally 5) turn he NMEA option "on" on the Helix 12 SI unit?

2. Member
    Here's what i did to use the NMEA 0183 output from my Solix 15 to my Level 1 Mercury Monitor to get GPS data to the MM. Maybe it will help you?

There is a solution that i got to work with a bit of help from BBC and others after first being told from Humminbird that it was impossible..

I got the NMEA 0183 adapter cable..

Humminbird 720079-1 AS DUAL NMEA Splitter Cable for Onix

I hooked this up to my MM like this:

NMEA 0183 port on Solix.

One feed used only of the NMEA splitter wire..*

From Humminbird Orange wire to MM White with blue stripe NMEA 0183 wire..

From Humminbird Black wire to MM Brown with white stripe*

I turned the NMEA 0183 port on.. baud rate 4800 i believe...

I now have GPS speed data to my Mercmonitor. Yay...

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralbertina View Post
    I am wanting to use the internal GPS from my Helix 12 SI ( Gen 1) unit to send GPS speed reading on my smartcraft (sc1000) speedometer. Both the Helix unit and smartcraft gauge are from FY2016 if that matters. My questions are: Can I use the AS-HHGPS cable to tie my Helix 12 SI unit to my smartcraft speedometer to pick up GPS speed? If yes, is it as simple as: 1) splice the white wire from the HHGPS cable to the white wire of the smartcraft gauge, 2) splice the black wire from the HHGPS cable to the blue wire of the smartcraft gauge, 3) terminate the red and green wires from the HHGPS cable, 4) thru the smartcraft tach and speed gauges, set both to pick up GPS speed verses speed from the pitot, and finally 5) turn he NMEA option "on" on the Helix 12 SI unit?
    This is exactly how you do it. I have hooked up two boats the same way with level 1 Mercmonitors. You dont use the splitter included in the kit unless you have another accessory. Current boat has a Helix 9. Send me a message if you have any questions.

4. Member
    Which cable is that "AS HH GPS" ? Are you referring to the AS HS GPS basic cable and cutting the connector off then splicing?
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    Which cable is that "AS HH GPS" ? Are you referring to the AS HS GPS basic cable and cutting the connector off then splicing?
    This is what you need. The connector goes to the Bird and the bare wire end splices to Smartcraft. https://www.humminbird.com/Products/AS-HHGPS/

6. Member
    Thanks for clarifying that. I wish Doug would put a separate stickie at top of forum for just NMEA for the various type setups. There is some information in the Installation stickie but this topic comes up a lot with different motors and new units. They may have info in the different engine forums but sometimes not HB specific and not clear on HB website.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow