Torque specs for trailer lug nuts

My trailer is a 2009 Tracker for a Nitro Z7, and it’s a single axle. The lug nuts are standard 1/2 inch, I believe. On trucks and passenger cars I usually tighten them to around 92 foot pounds or so. Is it about the same for boat trailers? I have new tires and wheels for my trailer, and I don’t want to twist a lug bolt off. Thanks

I asked that same question here several years ago and the popular answer was 90 to 100 ft.lbs.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

3. Member
    Thanks.

On a good 4 way lug wrench with standard size lugs --- I stop after the first Uumph !!

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    On a good 4 way lug wrench with standard size lugs --- I stop after the first Uumph !!
    Me, too! As my great grandfather used to say, "Tighten them to a 1/4 of a turn before they snap!"
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

My tracker trailstar trailer with the same lug pattern and size says 95 lbs/ft of torque. I have always ran them there.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

That's it ... You might be on the side of the road and need to remove them

Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    That's it ... You might be on the side of the road and need to remove them
    My trailers lug nuts are torqued to 95 ft-lb, my truck lug nuts are torqued to 140 ft-lb. I keep a 4 way lug wrench and a piece of pipe in my truck, in case I didn't eat my Wheaties that day and have a flat along side the road.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    My trailers lug nuts are torqued to 95 ft-lb, my truck lug nuts are torqued to 140 ft-lb. I keep a 4 way lug wrench and a piece of pipe in my truck, in case I didn't eat my Wheaties that day and have a flat along side the road.
    I keep an 18" breakover under the seat. Great for busting off lug nuts and fighting your way out of a gang war.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Stopped to help a guy with a flat last week--He had already broke the pin out of a 1/2" brake over bar trying to remove the lugs off a utility trailer. We had to put a cheater on my HD lug wrench to brake them loose. It bent my lug

This is why they make battery powered impacts. Also have two sided sockets so two sockets can cover all my vehicles and trailers.
    My trailer manufacturer recommends 100 lbs.

12. Member
    I keep a 24" 1/2" breaker bar under the rear seat of my truck with sockets to fit both my truck and boat lug nuts. Once you've had a 4way wrench not be enough leverage, you'll do the same. Or you can do it now. Most trucks these days want 130# or so. That's tough to break with a 4 way. I can just straight arm a breaker bar and stand up to break that super easy.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

Thanks but no thanks-- Even thou I carry an 18" 1/2 "brake over. I'll keep my HD four way and a cheater pipe if needed .. The bar length doesn't mater--the weak link is that little 1/4" pin.

14. Member
    Thanks but no thanks-- Even thou I carry an 18" 1/2 "brake over. I'll keep my HD four way and a cheater pipe if needed .. The bar length doesn't mater--the weak link is that little 1/4" pin.
    I broke a weld on a 4 way. Most are. If one solid forged piece like they used to be. Most quality usa made breaker 1/2 breaker bars are good for many hundreds of pound of tourque. The sliding style has no pin.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I broke a weld on a 4 way. Most are. If one solid forged piece like they used to be. Most quality usa made breaker 1/2 breaker bars are good for many hundreds of pound of tourque. The sliding style has no pin.
    I don't recall seeing 1/2 inch "solid style" breaker bars, but that doesn't mean they aren't made. I have spread more than my share and busted some pins. I did find if you install a bolt and nut in place of the pin it helps keep them from spreading, and I also have replaced the broken pin in my 3/4 inch drive breaker bar with a bolt and nut. I used to put a lot of force on them.

16. Member
    Thanks guys. Good info here.

17. Member
    A nice half inch ratchet style breaker bar will save you. Along with a 3 inch extension and what the auto techs call a flip socket. The flip is a 19 and 21mm socket in one. You need the 3 inch extension to use it, which they usually come with. I have had mine since I started turning wrenches back in 99.

It covers 90 percent of the vehicles and trailer lug nuts. Baring the weird ones or the across the pond cars such as VW, BMW, Saab, or the other odd one with the 17mm lug nut heads.

90 foot pounds on aluminum trailer rims is the norm. Along with most of the vehicle lug nuts falling close to that.
    07 Legend LE-21__Sold.
    16 Phoenix 921 Pro xp

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Facemelter View Post
    A nice half inch ratchet style breaker bar will save you. Along with a 3 inch extension and what the auto techs call a flip socket. The flip is a 19 and 21mm socket in one. You need the 3 inch extension to use it, which they usually come with. I have had mine since I started turning wrenches back in 99.

It covers 90 percent of the vehicles and trailer lug nuts. Baring the weird ones or the across the pond cars such as VW, BMW, Saab, or the other odd one with the 17mm lug nut heads.

90 foot pounds on aluminum trailer rims is the norm. Along with most of the vehicle lug nuts falling close to that.
    Aluminum rims on trucks require significantly more than 90#. My last truck, an F150, and my current truck, a Ram 3500 both were in the 135# range.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250