Banned

Favorite Blank for Heavy (1 oz) Football Jigs and C-Rigs

I like to ledge fish and need a blank that can handle the big 1 oz football jigs and carolina rigs. It should be rated for up to a minimum 1.5 oz by the time you weigh the skirt/trailers, etc. I also prefer a longer rod for open water casting and good hooksets. Curious what you guys have found and had success with.

I have used the rainshadow immc73hxf for a few years now for dragging 1oz c rigs. Its rated to 1.25 but it is a very stout blank. I would recommend it.

3. Member
    Batson Revelation series REVC711 rated 1/2 to 1 1/2 7ft 11in or the Immortal series IMMC76 rated 1/2 to 1 1/2 7ft 6in would work i think. There are other blank companies that carry similar blanks in whatever length you prefer.

4. Member
    Hydra Ng FL5 would be my choice, you can get 7'6" or 7'11". It's rated for 1/2oz to 3oz, I use mine mostly for punching. It's got a more moderate fast action which I prefer for heavier weights.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    Hydra Ng FL5 would be my choice, you can get 7'6" or 7'11". It's rated for 1/2oz to 3oz, I use mine mostly for punching. It's got a more moderate fast action which I prefer for heavier weights.
    Nice! I have an iRod Gen 2 Fred's Frog Rod rated for 1/2 oz to 2 oz that I've started using for c-rigging. The moderate-fast action is awesome for hooksets. This is the type of blank I've been searching for, with higher quality components.

6. Banned
    This brings up a whole new point. Are Hydra blanks technically ALX?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmarley View Post
    This brings up a whole new point. Are Hydra blanks technically ALX?
    Yeah, ALX is the finished rod line and Hydra is the blank. The Ng series Hydra blanks is what he uses in his ZOLO series of ALX rods. My guess is that he uses the FL5 on the Dragger...I don't know for sure, but if you call I'm sure they'd tell you. I've built on quite a few Hydra blanks but I've never even seen an ALX in person.

8. Banned
    That makes sense. I guess I can compare the rod specs to see what is what on a technique-specific basis. Thanks!

9. Member
    The Hydra blank wrks great.