Child Savings Fund

Last Tuesday night, my brother-in-law died in a car accident. He has a son who turned 9 Friday. During the funeral arrangements, we had to discuss a fund where people could donate to in his honor. I suggested a college fun for his son which everyone agreed with. I have heard of the 529 fund however, I am afraid that if his son doesn't go to college, the money will be lost. Does anyone have suggestions on this? I am torn as in one way I want him to go to college but if he doesn't, I don't want for him to lose out on the money either.

I would suggest a simple savings account be set up at your local bank initially so people can easily donate. Then a few months down the road when everyone is thinking more clearly you can decide what to do long term. He wouldn't lose the money if he doesn't go to college but would be taxed. Research the Vanguard Star fund. So sorry for your loss. May God bring comfort and healing to your family.

3. Member
    Seek the advice of a professional certified financial planner.
    Basic 529 plans can be used for vocational schools, etc.
    The beneficiary can be changed as well ... pretty neat trick.
    And if simply ‘cashed out’ it’s a 10% penalty plus income taxes.

Personally I just started my daughter's college fund. I am just buying a Vanguard mutual fund and keeping it separated in my Scottrade account. I'm sure it's not the best method, but it offers the most options. If she were to receive a scholarship, we could always use the savings to buy her a car or she could use it to put towards a house at some point.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Definitely. A financial planner/wealth management consultant will be able to help guide you to maximize the amount the child will get and what things you can do to avoid paying so much in taxes on it.

6. Member
    Sorry for your loss! I agree with getting professional financial advice.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    ^^^^This.....no regrets

8. Member
    529 would always get the money back you put in without taxes or penalty. The growth would be taxes as ordinary income, plus 10% penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    Definitely. A financial planner/wealth management consultant will be able to help guide you to maximize the amount the child will get and what things you can do to avoid paying so much in taxes on it.
    THIS^^^. Sorry for your loss and for his family.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by wiget10 View Post
    529 would always get the money back you put in without taxes or penalty. The growth would be taxes as ordinary income, plus 10% penalty.
    And he could use it for anything in that case. So if he doesn't go to college he would still have a little fund to get him started. Also, 529 contribution are tax deductible. Putting money in a savings account is not.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

11. Member
    Give yourself and your family 6 months to make a decision. You got too much going on to think clearly about what you want to do with it and where it should go. Collect the money and put it in a 6 month CD, and then when the CD matures you can make a clear decision later down the road for the best interest of the kid.

Sorry for your loss. That is a terrible tragedy.