Need some Opinions

I have a gas smell in my compartments. I've removed the deck and checked the tank and at the back port side of the tank it looks like moisture has risen up the side of the fiberglass about 2". There are no apparent leaks that I saw or any carpet is damp, or smell of gas other than the compartments.
    I've checked the connections of all fuel/vent lines and they were good. No leaks were seen in the lines. Removed the fuel cap and pulled out the housing and all connections are good there.

Is there any way it could be the vent line possibly? Being it's a continuose line from the tank to gas cap I don't see how it could be that but who knows.

My thought is it is a hair line crack in one of the welds on the tank.

Don't know if anyone has had this problem but if so what was it or if you have a thought of would it could be would be appreciated.

Is a 920 Phoenix. The tank is aluminum

Thank you,

Keldog

2. Member
    There was one guy who's tank had cracked. How much gas is in the tank? Maybe leave all that stuff out and go fill it up and see what happens. Is the vent line connected to the vent on the hull and is it open? Just a few ideas.

3. Member
    kry29, Yes, the vent connection is tight on both ends. Tank to gap cap. I will check the vent opening at the gas cap but my thinking is if it was clogged up, it should not allow fumes inside the boat as it is contained so to speak. My thinking could be wrong there though.

4. Member
    I have spoken with Tim at Phoenix about this issue. He's a great guy. Just trying to see if it's something I could correct.

5. Member
    Yea, I think your right about the fumes. They shouldn't get in the boat if the vent hose is hooked up. Could you reach where the moisture was? It should wipe off on your finger and smell like gas if that's what it was. Maybe a stick with a rag or something to get down in there and see if it was gas. Then you would know if it's a leak or just the smell maybe

6. Member
    Kry29, I removed the deck this morning. You can see moisture on the backside of the tank at the fiberglass. Has to be a fine hairline crack in the tank. Did rub a rag in the bottom and had a gas smell. Tim has already taken care of the problem and a new tank will be installed next week.
    Phoenix is nothing but class!

7. Member
    Good deal. Once it's all done i would mix up some dawn dish soap and water and dump it down where the net goes. Of course have the plug in. You can do it when you drive to or from the lake so it will wash out the gas but it doesn't sound like much gas really got out. If the dealer is really good they will wash it out before they put the new tank in

8. Member
    When you say you removed the deck, what do you mean exactly? Just curious

9. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Did Tim elaborate if the tanks are coming from factory with cracks or they are happening over time????
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    You can take the piece above the fuel tank out and the piece the seats are on comes out also. I had a pick on my old phone. I had it all apart to run wires. Pretty easy to do

11. Member
    Fish couillion, It’s over time. Very rare occasions with the tanks. Sure you have no worries.

12. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Hope not, i have the plastic tank.....just wondering as you are the second person on here with this issue.....

13. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

14. Member
    Cool. I see what you are talking about now.

15. Member
    I have the same problem and my boat is currently at the factory getting looked at. It happened to be going back for other warranty issues so I added the fumes to the list. Tim has been awesome throughout the process. I will be going up the week of 12/18 to pick up the boat and tour the factory.

16. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    So what is the big difference between metal and plastic tanks and why???? In my Skeeter i has a 30 gallon plastic tank with no problems, the Phoenix has the same thing....

17. Member
    Metal won't deteriorate or let fumes out like plastic. Much more rigid also. Other than that I really don't know if there's a true advantage

18. Member
    Mjlambert, don’t know if its the right thing to do but I’m going to purchase some 1/4’ hard foam and put under the tank in both locations for the tank to sit on. Shim the flanges on the bottom and secure. I like the metal tank versus the plastic but also increases a little weight over the plastic i’d say. Plastic would be fine with me also if the new one to be installed comes that way.