Triton tr175 setup help

I just recently upgraded from a 14 foot sylvan super snapper to a 2005 triton tr175 with a 2005 90 hp merc. The boat had a 20 pitch laser 2 prop on it. I was turning roughly 6100 rpm at 43 mph, pretty awesome for coming out of the little snapper. Anyways I know I need to get my rpms down so I was planning to go up to a 22 pitch laser 2. On this boat in particular there really is no flattened part of the stern that looks like a pad of some of the more high performance hulls so should I be setting up the motor height like them or should it be different? The person I bought the boat from had the motor in the second hole from the top which put the prop to pad at almost 8 inches. I moved the motor up to the bottom hole which now puts the prop to pad at roughly 5 inches. Unfortunately I had to winterize the boat before getting to test this. Should I move the motor back down or try it where Im at now come spring? Also before getting this boat I was looking at this tin boats and they are all raving about this new spitfire x7 prop. Would this be a better prop to go with instead of the laser 2? I know it's a 4 blade it's instead of a 3 but it sounds like it is the bees knees for those of us with the 90 or 115 hp mercs. If I would go with the x7 what pitch would you suggest I go with?

2. Member
    2 stroke or 4 stroke motor? http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=62660 <<<You need to recheck your prop to pad using this drawing and making sure everything is level including what ever you measure from. Without a plate 2nd hole from the top should be the right height for that motor and you are measuring from the transom not the pad which is the very bottom of the hull. Your tach is probably off which is very common for older Beede gauges if that is a 2 stroke motor because it will over rev and cut out at 6000 rpm's. You won't turn a 22" prop with that motor stock.

3. Member
    Alright, so I will move the motor back to the original starting spot. Now with the 20 pitch prop I would start to blow out when I would trim out at wot. I'm thinking I may want to go to a 4 blade to help with hole shot knowing that the 90 is going to have trouble coming out of the hole. Would it be smart to do this? Once again hearing that the spitfire x7 is supposed to be a great prop would this be a good idea? If it would be what pitch would you suggest?

North End of Beautiful Norfork Lake...MO/AR Border
    Last edited by rangerbobber; 12-14-2017 at 09:40 AM.