Thread: Air tools

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Banned
    The air rachets don't have the strength of the impact wrenches. After you break the volt/nut loose they usually work fine.

Most professional mechanics have switched over to lithium battery powered impact drivers to do the same jobs--if space permits. I seldom use my air tools any longer.

2. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Do you have a regulator on the compressor? what pressure where you running it at.

I never use my air/Electric tools to break loose bolts/nuts, just to remove them and install them.

3. Member
    An air ratchet requires external oiling of the ratchet mechanism. It's an air ratchet not impact wrench, which is oiled internally. Anyhow, drop the tool ratchet end first into a tuna can with some 30 weight let it sit overnight. After that if it doesn't ratchet it's probably toast.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Another vote for the Earthquake brand from HF.

5. Member
    Well....I have the snap on version.....it is not exactly a good buy. But if you need tools that make you money, they are worth it. That said, a $400 air ratchet that you're gonna use five times a year probably isn't your best option. Maybe look at Lowes Cobalt. Good warranty. Maybe a little "clunky" compared to a SnapOn. But...it's cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    I buy quite a bit from harbor freight. I usually lose them before I wear them out

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    I buy quite a bit from harbor freight. I usually lose them before I wear them out

8. Member
    seems like the younger wrenches are going to battery powered tools and seem to like them better,i can understand that to a point but i still use my IR air mine will break 600lbs and torque 400 lbs and its about 12 years old now zero problems

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    You might be really, really surprised with the quality of the Earthquake line at Harbor Freight. They have throwaway stuff like always, but the Earthquake stuff is top notch. Seriously. Lifetime warranty to boot. Bring it into the store, trade it out. No problem. (Not that I've had any issues with Earthquake stuff...had a Pittsburgh ratchet wrench start slipping. Also lifetime warranty. Just brought it in and left with a new one).

To be fair, they're also priced a lot more comparably to other companies' offerings. Still less than half of what comparable Snap On tools cost, though.
    Totally agree. Great return policy and a good tool for the price. Just picked up an 1/2 Drive earthquake XT.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Quit buying air tools. The 20V 1/2" Dewalt is good for 700 torque and up to 1200lbs break away. Cant verify the numbers, but they will pull off a 36mm Axle nut like its nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammmerhead View Post
    Quit buying air tools. The 20V 1/2" Dewalt is good for 700 torque and up to 1200lbs break away. Cant verify the numbers, but they will pull off a 36mm Axle nut like its nothing.
    I would love to agree with you. I have a compressor and hose. Already have all air tools that work. HF 1/2 Drive XT for $119.00 that should last until I’m dead. What’s the dewalt(black and decker) Cost and how long will it last. I like the idea of not dragging a hose around and the electric might be lighter.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

alot of the cordless are heavier than most modern 1/2" air impacts .
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by Hammmerhead View Post
    Cordless tools are nice and have their place but so do air tools. Cordless stuff is nice for roadside repairs etc but batteries go dead. As long as the compressor is running i have power.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

14. Member
    If you have the compressor already, and the space, use air. The air tools are cheaper and will last longer than the equivalent battery powered tool if maintained with a little bit of oil. No need to become brand loyal either just to share a battery with the tool you already have.

IR makes a good impact wrench, I would look there first. If you rarely use it, the HF Earthquake would do just fine.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    I would love to agree with you. I have a compressor and hose. Already have all air tools that work. HF 1/2 Drive XT for $119.00 that should last until I’m dead. What’s the dewalt(black and decker) Cost and how long will it last. I like the idea of not dragging a hose around and the electric might be lighter.
    I cant comment on longevity, but I can say its a dang monster and holds its charge well for tire rotations. I think they're around $230 and It has different torque settings and even a LED light that shines on the area. I keep it with me on long hauls for a tire change, etc. It also came in really handy for a bunk change on my trailer while at the lake. I wouldn't want a grinder as a battery tool or a 1/2 drill or whatnot, but this thing is very handy to have around. I too have a ton of air tools I collected over the years and most are no name brands but were built tough 25-30 years ago and they all still work. Anymore, I only drag out my pancake compressor for nail guns and filling tires. I haven't fired up my 5 horse compressor in years.

Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    Cordless tools are nice and have their place but so do air tools. Cordless stuff is nice for roadside repairs etc but batteries go dead. As long as the compressor is running i have power.
    I agree, and would never have considered one of these until I found out how strong it was and just how long it held its charge. What surprised me was how much I ended up using it for smaller jobs.

I have a coworker firmly believing that the cordless ratchet is actually a cordless air ratchet. The battery runs a tiny air compressor that provides air to it lol
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12