Want to run a Sportmaster fatshaft 1.62 on an OX66

I smoked my gearcase last weekend on my OX66 so I'm looking at all my options on replacement or rebuild. One of those options is a Sportmaster 1.62 replacement. I don't mind spending the money on a Sportmaster but I didn't want to have to spend a whole lot more on modding it to work. There are some sweet Strokers on here with a similar Yamaha/Sporty combination...StrokerSmoker has one. Just want to know what's involved in the retrofit and of course how much money is involved outside of the purchase of the Sportmaster. I'd love to have that gearing to get into the triple digits...just can't do it with 1.75's which is the highest gear ratio Yamaha offers...

I can get a pristine 3.0 Sportmaster fatshaft 1.62 today for $2k...I'll jump all over it if it's not too much for the retrofit.
    96 Bullet 20cc, Yamaha OX 250+, 10" jack, labbed 30" Bravo LH w/1.25" exhaust pipes, counter rotating Bob's lower, it goes faster when you spin it the other way...

2. Member
    I have one on my 3.3. I bought a complete HydroTec Phase III engine with the Sportmaster already adapted to it. Just call HydroTec but I don't think they sell the adapter kit anymore. Just the kit was something like $2K when they had it listed on their website. Mine is a 16" mid with an adapter plate that the SM bolts to. The shift rod appears to be cut with a Yamaha end welded to it. Not sure how the drive shaft was handled.
    My SM was freshly rebuilt but I still had problems with water intrusion which is a very common. I had to use a billet drive shaft and shift rod seals with a vent kit which fixed it. It has been running great for over 6 years. I can run the prop shaft at 2-1/2" above and still have good water pressure.

3. Member
    Really appreciate your post Invader...that was exactly the info I was looking for. I called Hydro Tec on your advisement and they told me exactly what you said. I would love to do it but that's a pretty good chunk to pay on top of the gearcase cost. I sure could use the extra 4" of height too since I'm currently only 1/2" away from being topped out with the Yamaha 20"...It looks super sweet too! But looks like I'm back to plan A...rebuilding my own case which is just a standard Bob's case.

Thanks again for your post...it was a tremendous help!
    96 Bullet 20cc, Yamaha OX 250+, 10" jack, labbed 30" Bravo LH w/1.25" exhaust pipes, counter rotating Bob's lower, it goes faster when you spin it the other way...