Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

prop suggestions for 94 Ranger 482vs with 93 Evinrude 175 Intruder

Boat came with a 27 pitch Shooter 4 blade. Dealer says he thinks it's too much prop for the boat, but I don't know what RPM it's running at top speed. It's in the shop to get the Regulator/Rectifier replaced and hopefully that will cure my tach issues as well. Boat runs good and has decent holeshot, but I'd like better. Don't much care about the top end speed. It runs about 55 per the gps now and I'm in wit that.

I know the engine rpm is critical for prop selection. I should have it back Wednesday and I'll taking it out for attest run.

I'd just like to get some general prop suggetions to start looking into so I can figure out what prices I'm looking at.

Thanks. Chris

2. Member
    24" raker

3. Member
    Thanks for the reply. I was just told that by someone else. He suggested that or a 24 Tempest Plus.

4. Member
    I had the same boat and motor but with a 25p shooter. Boat ran extremely well with a great hole shot. I also had a 6" jack plate. Boat loaded with just me and my tackle 67 mph gps. With a partner 64-65 gps @ 5700 rpm's.

5. Member
    I think lower pitch shooter would be fine, but 27 is just too much prop. Found a really good deal on a Raker 24. Going to get it tomorrow and try it out Friday. I spoke to a prop shop and they said they could drop the 27 to a 26, but no further. I'll probably keep my Shooter as a spare unless someone needs a 27 and has something I can use.

6. Member
    The shooter has always gotten a pretty bad reputation. It’s not a great top end prop but in my experience it’s a pretty good all around fishing prop for 300 series rangers. One thing in particular is that you will find that because there isn’t a whole lot of bow lift and it’s relatively small diameter it will run out like a prop pitched 2” smaller, or in other words if you use the labeled pitch in your slip calculation you will get a very large slip number. Your dealer may not realize this and may be telling you that’s too much prop based on the number on the side and not YOUR boat’s performance with that prop. You won’t know until you know wot rpms. I will say my Johnson gt175 on my old 375V would run out at about 62 mph gps at about 5300 rpm with the 27 shooter. Imo I would not necessarily have the shooter worked because there is better technology out now that may be a better use of your money. It’s also possible that the 400 series requires bow lift from a Raker or a Tempest to run on out.

7. Member
    I also meant to add that when I swapped to a 24” raker on that boat it turned 400 rpm and 1 mph more.

8. Member
    Tried it out today with a working tach. 4700 was all it would pull and that was going with the wind. I didn’t trim it to much over half way, because that’s where I run my boat Normally.

Headed to to pick up the Raker 24 now. Won’t get to try it out until Friday, and I might not have room to do WOT then. Heading to Caddo. I should be able to tell if it’s going to help with holeshot though. Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

9. Member
    I'm not an expert on shooter props but mine ran great. As far as the bow lift on my ranger 482v the bow would lift so high I would have to bump the trim down a little to see over the bow. Maybe it's just how I setup my boats I don't know. My Ranger 521vx is the same way lots of bow lift on a long heavy bow. Props are just part of the equation, setup it just as important. A great prop with a bad setup will not perform at its best. The best setup with the wrong prop is the same way. I've always been more of a 4-blade prop guy on a loaded Ranger boat. They tend to lift better at any speed above 35mph and are easier to steer than a 3 blade. When setup correctly they will keep up speed wise with a 3 blade or at least within 1-2 mph.

10. Member
    Got my prop, but it has the wrong thrust washer. Won’t get to try it out until I find one for a 92 or later Intruder. The one I got is for the 91 or older. Single taper VS double taper. At least that’s what the guy that sold me the prop said. Won’t fit far enough into the shaft to get the nut and cotter pin in. Now to find the correct thrust plate.

11. Member
    I’ve had 4 blade props before and had no problems. Just too much pitch on this one for the boat and Motor combo. I’ve had 2 dealers, and 2 boat shops, agree that the 27 is not going to work. They didn’t say the shooter was necessary bad, just that mine has too much pitch for the Motor to handle it. I’ve only had the boat since June and it handles great. Just slow out of the hole and won’t rev above 4700.

12. Member
    Turning 4700 with that prop is worse than turning 5800 with a Raker. Low rpm's kill a 2 stroke motor. Any OMC dealer should have that thrust washer since it's considered the new version for OMC large cases. Michigan wheel part # 991202 fits

13. Member
    I got the prop too late Wednesday to get to a dealer. Got one today in Benton Louisiana at Pro Gator boat manufacturing. Didn’t get a real good run on it, as Caddo is a little limited on places to air a boat out. Did get it to 5000 rpms and it is 5 mph slower. Didn’t come out of the hole as well either. Not a good sign so far, but I need a better place to try it out. Still keeping my fingers crossed.

The 3 vent holes are all open. Prop didn’t have any plugs in it when I bought it. Any comments on how much difference that makes? It sure didn’t try to blow out or over rev on take off.

14. Member
    If it's a raker II it doesn't have adjustable vent holes. You need to measure your prop to pad because it sounds like you may need to raise your motor. You want your rpm's to be 3500-4000 at take off.

15. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I also have had good luck with a 27 Shooter prop and 300 series Ranger my 150 would turn 5500rpms and speed was anywhere between 60 and 63 all day long no jackplate motor on the lowest hole so motor was about an 1" above the transom, then my motor blew and after replacing it now I'm running a 24 Raker at about 5450 rpms and speed of about 58 to 59 has lots of bow lift , but holeshot not as good, Shooter not so much lift and speed at 55 to 57 .Shooter get a lot of bad reports but are not too bad a prop really
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

16. Member
    Take off rpm is around 3000 and sluggish. Starts to blow out at about 1/4 trim or any kind of turn. I’ll take some measurements when I get home and figure out which way I need to go, but I’m thinking down.

17. Member
    Prop shop suggested running around 4” below pad since I don’t have a jack plate. It measured almost exactly 4”. Taking the prop back as he said it sounds like it is smaller than it should be. Maybe damage was ground off. Not sure how a smalller prop would not increase rpm more, but he said it just sounds like a bad prop. Got a 13.5 x23 pitch Renegade to try now. Probably be next weekend before we can get to the water. It’s a loaner so there’s no money lost if it doesn’t work out.

The Renegade will be much slower on the top end, but the hole-shot will be good.

I would try a 24 Tempest. The Tempest is hard to beat on a Ranger.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

19. Member
    Contrary to most, I really don’t care about top speed. If it will run 55 to 60 I’m fine with it. Holeshot is much more important to me. Boat control is another. The shooter was very stable and controllable, but rpm’s we’re 4700. If I can get the rpm with the Renegade, as well as holeshot and control, I’ll be thrilled.

20. Member
    I was told to get a Tempest plus 24, but I can’t find one cheap. Don’t want to spend a lot of money on a 23 year old boat. If I can find a good used one I might try it. Keep whichever one I prefer on the boat and have a spare.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast