Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I’ll be honest if you are only turning 4700 with the shooter and 5000 with the raker my concern would be that there is a mechanical issue with the motor, either down a cylinder or a fuel issue.

2. Member
    Well I just picked up the boat from the shop. They replaced the regulator/rectifier, and it's charging the battery now It also fixed my tach. They had to replace a roller that was missing, that controls the throttle and timing. They said compression was good and carbs are properly synched. Per the mechanic, "It's in great shape for a motor it's age." When I bought it we ran a compression check ad it ran 110 on 5 and 105 on one.

Boat runs great other than not hitting the rpm's it should. If the new prop doesn't help, I'll be taking t back to the shop.

3. Member
    Forgot to add. Another prop shop says it sounds like my Raker was ground down too small when it was repaired. I'm getting my money back so it's no big deal, but it was a waste of time.

4. Member
    Unless the repair was so bad that they accidentally pitched it up a couple of inches you should have been able to spin it to the limiter if they made it too small, not spin it even less rpm and with it going that much slower than the shooter they obviously didn’t. I had an original raker with relatively small hand drilled vent holes (probably 3/16”) and my Johnson 175 would spin it just to 4000 on holeshot and it would pop up almost instantly with very little bow rise or plowing. My raker would occasionally blowout on pop over or in turns just as you describe. Renegade is a known good load carrying prop you would probably need a 23 in it. I believe I have the small hub washer for the renegade and your motor if I can find it you can have it for a couple dollars shipping should you need it. I wish you luck in your search it sounds like you are getting the correct suggestions but if it were me and my money I would borrow a timing light or spark tester and confirm she’s firing on all 6 before spending money on another prop.

5. Member
    Thanks for the offer. Dealer I bought the prop from had a thrust washer and it' already headed my way. I may go to Autozone and get a loaner timing light and check it out. Never checked timing on a boat. Guess it's You Tube time. Based on the spark plugs, they appear to all be firing. All plus are clean and slightly brown/gray

6. Member
    You should go to the OMC forum and ask about the timing on the V-6 since you said the guy replaced the roller on the throttle advance which controls the timing and you can check the setting.

7. Member
    Thanks I'll do that. The roller had rotted completely away. He said he checked the timing, but i'll double check it.

8. Member
    There is a video on U-tube that shows you how to check it and it used to be posted on here.

9. Member
    Checking maximum spark adavance at WOT requires a test wheel or modified prop to do correctly and safely so I wasn’t necessarily meaning to do that only to use an inductive timing light to verify each coil wire was firing by confirming you were getting flashes. 55 with the shooter is a little more than I would expect out of 5 cylinders but my 175 Johnson on my 375 would run about 4900 rpm and 51 mph with 5 cylinders and the 24 raker. The low end power these can make on 5 cylinders will also surprise you it’s something you wouldn’t necessarily notice until top end unless the boat was familiar to you in good working condition previously but as you stated previously you would expect a wet plug. I haven’t been in many 400 series but if that boat is only rated for 175 I would expect to see 58-60 with relatively poor setup but I would think 64-65 would be pretty maxed out and may require a jackplate. Something else to glance at would be to make sure the extra thickness of the roller on the throttle plate isn’t causing the butterflies on the carbs to rotate a little past parallel. I personally have seen a shop do this mistake on my motor. I don’t believe the roller will effect the timing at all the timer base should still be pulled all the way to the stop by the tension between the throttle and timing arms. That would be another good thing to check. Sometimes the timer base can get sticky especially if the motor has had a failed stator previously that oozed some of the potting insulation into the timer base joint.

10. Member
    Thanks for all the info. Going to pull the plugs tonight or tomorrow night, and see what they look like now. I'll also get a spark plug tester and give that a try. I'll also pull off the intake cover and see if the butterflies are opening correctly. My 93 377v, with the same motor, would easily hit 65. I never actually found out just how fast it would go. I'm not a water speed freak at all. Don't remember what prop it had. I don't even have any old photos of it to look at, except in the water.

11. Member
    Have you had the inferred sensor replaced. I believe my was under the fly wheel or right on the outside of the fly wheel can't remember. My 175 faststrike did the same thing.

12. Member
    Yes I forgot your timing will be different than mine because of the OIS so forget all that I said about the timer base but still check the butterflies going too far for sure after running a known good prop.

13. Member
    No I haven’t. Not even sure I’ve heard of an inferred sensor on my motor. I’ll look into it further.

14. Member
    Finally got to try out the 23 Renegade. 5400 rpm and 60 mph gps. Wanted a little more rpm, but much happier overall. Holeshot was great. Almost twice as good as the Shooter. I’ll be on the lookout for some other cheaper props to try, but for now I’m pretty happy. I’ll still be looking into the ignition system to make sure all is good there.

15. Member
    If there’s an issue I would think it’s a small one. I think you’re all good. With that set up I would expect 64 mph to be about all you could get even with jackplate and lots of setup time. I think 5400 rpm with that motor would be acceptable. I wouldn’t worry about it unless you drop below 5250 in the summer. I’m pretty convinced now that as you suggested your props were the issue.

16. Member
    I think you’re right, but I still think there’s some tuning needed on the motor. Still a little rough at idle and take off. I could tune the hell out of a 250 2 stroke motorcycle engine. This 6 cylinder thing is a little over my head. Just wish there was someone around the DFW area that I knew and trusted, to play with it. It’s a lot easier to test drive a motocross bike after changing jets or air settings.

Much happier with 5400 VS 4700 and the THSBA speed limit is 60. It did that with me alone so I know I won’t be accused of speeding with my High School anglers on board.

17. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    24 fury 4 and you will smile

18. Member
    You don’t think increasing the pitch will hurt the rpms? I’ve been struggling to get them up and that’s how I ended up with a 23 Renegade.

19. Member
    I sent u a pm

20. Member
    I’ll try to give you a call tomorrow. Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12