Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Banned

Why do you run a tin rig?

What various reasons swayed you to tin? Thanks

2. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Cost, durability, less chance for damage running it obstacles, light weight so easy to move around by hand.

3. Goby King
    It was cheaper than my first 2 choices. My next boat will be tin also due to the "less fragile than fiberglass" aspect of owning one. Way easier to maintain too. Since 2005, I've washed it once and have never waxed it. Neglect a fiberglass that long and see how it looks!

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Cost to buy, cost to tow, cost to operate, easier to "manhandle" when necessary.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

5. Member
    When I bought my boat, it came down to two choices a new 2016 RT188 or a used 2012 ranger z118. The prices were about the same but the 2012 had no warranty left. I decided to stick with the tin because I had a 5 year warranty if anything happened.

I just traded my Z518 Ranger on a new RT198P for many of the reasons listed above. Another reason I went to tin is because I was able to move to a new fishing platform with options that are better that what I had for a relatively small cost compared to trading on another glass boat. Today’s modern aluminum boats have a fishing platform not much different than a glass boat for a whole lot less money. Believe me, a lot of my buddies questioned my decision. This is my first Ranger aluminum boat. My previous 5 boats going back to 1976 we’re all fiberglass. When I look at my new aluminum boat I see a huge platform that will provide the same fishing experience that my glass boat has. The only thing I don’t have with my tin boat that I had with my glass boat is metal flake.

Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    Cost, durability, less chance for damage running it obstacles, light weight so easy to move around by hand.
    Pretty much this plus the size of lakes I fish. Their is literally only one place on my local lake that a large tournament style boat can run anywhere close to wide open.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Cost to buy, cost to tow, cost to operate, easier to "manhandle" when necessary.
    ^^^This^^^
    More bang for the buck.

I got tired of the high Expense of gelcoat work to my class boats. Everything else is a plus better fuel economy easier to tow etc. etc. etc.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

10. Banned
    Thanks guys, I am needing to hear this right now. I am suffering from a case of "wandering eye" and need to be reminded that going glass doesn't equal more fish or a better experience. If fact, it equals more hassle and more cost. But sometimes they are so pretty and look so tempting. Thanks for the reminder. I do love my RT188 and have it rigged right except for a few potential upgrades. Just need to be reminded sometimes why I left glass.

11. Banned
    Owned 1 glass and 1 tin prior to the Lund. Looked at both glass and tin when shopping for the current rig. I wanted a big boat and it needed to handle Lake Michigan on occasion. Looked at a slightly used Charger 596, a 3 year old leftover Z9 which I would have bought had BPS been willing to put a bigger motor on it, a Legend 211, a Tuffy 190, and the Predator. I decided I liked the Layout of the Lund and Tuffy with seating for 4. The Lund weighs 400lbs more than the Tuffy which is a glass boat. The Lund is bigger and rated a higher HP. Glad I went with tin for the "abuse" factor. I don't abuse her but she has some good "dings" that would be awful expensive to repair were she glass.

12. Not Banned
    I've got a list 4 miles long why I should go back to aluminum. My Skeeter is sitting at the dealership now for a potential trade on another aluminum. They checked the engine over today so I guess I will call tomorrow and finalize the deal if all went well.

I will miss it but I've run aluminum before and know what to expect. 70mph is nice but I usually run 45mph anyways. The ease of use especially when alone is a big factor. The one knick in the my gel coat came from a dock when trying to tie up to go get my truck. It's just a headache if you are particular about your stuff. Here in east TN there are rocks lined up down the banks and no real safe areas to beach a gel boat.

13. Member
    JET DRIVE!
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

14. Member
    Storage limitations.....garage wasn't wide enough to get my glass rig in

That being said I have enjoyed both my former Triton X17 and my current Triton TX 18, given the choice I can't say that I would buy a glass boat again....

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverFox View Post
    The one knick in the my gel coat came from a dock when trying to tie up to go get my truck. It's just a headache if you are particular about your stuff. Here in east TN there are rocks lined up down the banks and no real safe areas to beach a gel boat.
    You bring up a good point. I launch and load all the time in current, and when I fish Sturgeon Bay it's more often windy than not. Getting banged against docks is inevitable and bumpers can be a hassle.
    One of the ramps I launch at are the headwaters of a creek. I attached a pic. The ramp is at the bottom of the pic and the spillway at the top. There is always current here and after snow melt or a good rain, it can be heavy. The end of the ramp dock, to the seawall behind it, is roughly 25ft.(There is a sign on the seawall that says "Watch out for mines") It's not easy loading a 20ft boat. The lake is upstream of the ramp. When I load, I need to go downstream of the ramp and load facing into the current. Only reason I bring this up is the port side load guide gets used and abused every time I load. I'm pretty sure glass doesn't fare as well. Don't get me wrong, there are glass boats that launch there. The majority of the boats are tin.
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. Member
    I bought my boat because it was my first one and I figured I’d probably mess it up a bit. I kept it up until October of this year when a buddy who’s been hounding me for years to sell, finally got his wish.

Now, I was considering a Lund Pro v bass because it would seat 4 but I rarely ever have my whole family with me. So, now I’m looking at glass. I realize that glass is not nearly as durable but a dent isn’t always able to be taken out where new gel can be added if needed.

As for the other reasons, a glass boat will be more stable while fishing, faster and more efficient while on plane and hopefully, won’t beat me up as much as my tin did. I’ve been in enough glass boats to know that the ones I’m looking at will meet my needs.

17. Member
    My friend has a Nitro Z8 and we sat side by side and my boat had more fishing room. His 250 burned 3x the gas that I did.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJfrank View Post
    Thanks guys, I am needing to hear this right now. I am suffering from a case of "wandering eye" and need to be reminded that going glass doesn't equal more fish or a better experience. If fact, it equals more hassle and more cost. But sometimes they are so pretty and look so tempting. Thanks for the reminder. I do love my RT188 and have it rigged right except for a few potential upgrades. Just need to be reminded sometimes why I left glass.
    I've put more hours on my RT in one year than I did my Cougar in five. Mainly for the reasons above. Time on water always equals more fish. You can have all the fancy electronics you want and run as fast as you want. None of it beats time on the water.

I had two 20 foot Rangers and loved them both. But, my tournament partner always wants to take his boat and I don;t mind riding. So, my last Ranger sat in the garage for 2 years and wasn't used a dozen times. Since it was not appreciating in value, I sold it. I had bought my Lund a year or so before selling the last Ranger. It's just more practical in Canada, with all of the hidden rocks under the water. And, it tows easier, uses far less gas, and maneuvers far easier with the same size TM. Plus, I don't have to wipe it down after every trip and worry about spending a bunch of $ to repair if it bangs the dock too hard. Plus, I'm kind of incognito when practicing for a tournament. The only downside is that the wind grabs it much easier.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

20. Member
    Honestly, fear of hull blisters was the number 1 reason. Everything mentioned above played a role, but seeing so many newer rigs with blisters under the bunks and no warranty coverage was the main reason. I dont think half the guys with newer glass boats even realize they have them, and the manufacturers have not fixed the problem, or they would offer some warranty against them. That said, I love being able to beach my RT almost anywhere too

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast