Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    80 and still fishing.
    I hope to do the same one day.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Glass is fast, stable, and has better dry storage in my opinion. I would love to own one but really don't want the hassle of upkeep. I think I'd spend more time polishing it or worrying about getting scratches on it than fishing. With my 178, I cringe a little bit less when I get a nick or scratch. I only throw some slick mist on every other time on the water and it cleans right up. Its cheap on fuel and cheap to tow. So tin makes more sense, but I still would love to have a glass ride.

3. Member
    I looked at my pay check at looked at my bills and it looked like a RT178 tin boat would be just right. It has been a great boat to fish on and glad to have it.

Yeah, I forgot to add about the hull blisters. (Thanks EPA!) I didn't have them on either of my Rangers. But, as was said above, until a manufacturer warranty covers them, I'll stick with tin.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Had a mid-80s Champion but never worried about hull blisters. Maybe things have changed. But last two boats (one used, one new) where what I could afford. The used bass boat was ok for our local waters until all the pleasure boats came out. Then you got pounded. My new one is smooth, dry, a v-hull and affordable (and my wife likes it...a big plus). I would like to have a glass boat again but only if I hit the lottery.
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Archer View Post
    Had a mid-80s Champion but never worried about hull blisters. Maybe things have changed. But last two boats (one used, one new) where what I could afford. The used bass boat was ok for our local waters until all the pleasure boats came out. Then you got pounded. My new one is smooth, dry, a v-hull and affordable (and my wife likes it...a big plus). I would like to have a glass boat again but only if I hit the lottery.
    EPA mandates has changed gel coat a bunch from the mid 80's.

7. Member
    Tin boats have changed a great deal in the last few years. You can get into a tin for less than a top end glass but if you think tin boats are cheep you haven't priced a fully equipped Lund. After adding all the goodies to my 198P I have over 38 grand into that tin boat but I am very pleased with it. The ride isn't up there with my older 520 but I am happy with 60 MPH and it fishes great.

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    Going to turn 80 next year. My 198P much easier to manage.
    Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    EPA mandates has changed gel coat a bunch from the mid 80's.
    BassCat has it figured out I believe. Got my 2013 Cougar on a lift this year and checked it over carefully. After 4 fishing seasons, averaging 2-4 days a week trailering, not one blister. Very relieved and very impressed.

10. Member
    I'm in a tin boat because of cost & location. I only have a couple of places that I really fish, and 1 of those is electric motor only. I have a 75 on my boat, but there's really nowhere to run it.

11. Member
    I fish the Mississippi River, it has a very good rock population. The rocks main forage is gelcoat and fiberglass. Lots of stumps also and current pushing you into both. I run aluminum.

12. Banned

13. Member
    Well I looked at a 2018 Crestliner pt18 today and I have to say I was very impressed, seemed to be very well built it has a 150 fourstroke engine on it really nice wide boat, it’s got me thinking that I want one. I just don’t know much about Crestliner boats.

14. Banned
    If I may, let me share my feedback. I had a Cresty Vt-17. Absolutely did not like the boat. Very rough water ride and VERY wet. Will not have another Crestliner. Boat seemed to be well made but with a flat bottom it was rough and very wet. Never again.

15. Member
    I have a 2017 Crestliner VT-17 and mine does not ride rough at all. It's very stable even with two people on the front deck.

16. Banned
    well, we deal with 2 and 3 footers in wind here. It sucked in rough stuff, decent in chop and fine in calm water, but anything over a foot it was terrible.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJfrank View Post
    well, we deal with 2 and 3 footers in wind here. It sucked in rough stuff, decent in chop and fine in calm water, but anything over a foot it was terrible.
    There's a misnomer that fiberglass bass boats are a dry ride and those guys are getting wet in 2-3 footers when they hit them wrong just like the tin guys. There is no argument, bass boats are NOT designed for rough water. The reality is longer boats offer a smoother drier ride as do boats with some type of pad or semi v no matter what material the boat is made of. Driving experience has a ton to do with it as well. Balls out is not the only speed. My driest ride is driving straight into head seas and driving straight out of following seas running fast enough to stay on top of the crest. Unfortunately the Predator offers a wet ride to the passenger if I try to quarter the waves. Were it a Barron or Tyee with higher freeboard, that may not be the case. I've run side by side with glass bass boats in Sturgeon Bay and I'm glad I have the Lund. I've see it where guys are forced to ride in following seas with their bow so high in the air, there is no way they could safely see where they were going. No thanks.

18. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by doogiecox View Post
    Well I looked at a 2018 Crestliner pt18 today and I have to say I was very impressed, seemed to be very well built it has a 150 fourstroke engine on it really nice wide boat, it’s got me thinking that I want one. I just don’t know much about Crestliner boats.
    Sent you a PM
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJfrank View Post
    Dealing with 2-3 footers is nothing. Just ask everyone in the lounge.

20. Member
    Easier to maintain and keep clean. Plus it looks awesome!!
    2015 Xpress X19/ Yamaha VMAX 175 SHO

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast