Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Drain Plug Leaking???

My 819 seems to be taking on a little water every trip. I am thinking the drain plug is leaking. It happens on electric only lakes also, so I know its not from coming off of plane to fast.
    Has anyone ever unscrewed the housing for the plug and removed to reseal it? Mine now seems to be a sloppy job of silicone around it.
    Any other suggestions or thinks for me to check would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Member
    Yup, been known to be a problem. It can be the sealer around the plug housing, or the o-ring on the plug. SOMETIMES I get the plug tightened just right and there will be no water in the hull as the o-ring seals properly. But I have to take the plug out to check the next time off the water. Then it leaks again, and water drains out the next few times I remove the plug.
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

3. Member
    my 2017 721 seems to be doing the same. when i'll be fishing with on a small lake with no water coming over back of boat, the auto bilge will pump out a bunch of soapy looking water. when i'm done i remove the drain plug and a bunch more comes out. has to be a leak somewhere

4. Member
    One member here on the Phoenix Forum had a leak. Took him awhile to find it. It was a screw screwed into one of the livewell hoses.
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

5. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I thought the same thing but on one certain ramp i use (steep ramp), i started paying attention when i launch and load and i think the water was getting in thru my bilge pump hose.....other places i launched did seem to have near as much water as that certain ramp.....so just a thought and maybe watch the rear as you load/launch to rule that out....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

6. Member
    Is it hard to remove the plug housing? Id like to reseal it and add a new o-ring on the drain plug.
    I don't think the water comes up high enough to get into the bilge return.
    Also, I left the plugs in the live wells this time to see if I would have no water.Still did.

Mine leaked from the seal below the rubrail at the back of the boat. Look under your rubrail around the whole boat and the bead will probably look like a 5 year old did it. Had my dealer reseal the leaking area.

8. Member
    I had a fitting broken. Here's how I went about finding it.

9. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zxcvbnm View Post
    Mine leaked from the seal below the rubrail at the back of the boat. Look under your rubrail around the whole boat and the bead will probably look like a 5 year old did it and then I may have Had my dealer reseal the leaking area.
    good lord, leaking phoenix’s that look like a five year old worked on them and then I may struggle to put it on the trailer?? Sure hope I made right decision ordering one and leaving bass cat
    Last edited by Phoenix Jim; 11-20-2017 at 06:12 PM.

10. Member
    Mine has a little seepage I filled it up and it leaked a little around one of the fitting. I recaulked around my fitting on the outside with a little clear sealant seemed to help a lot this pastweekend out. I have alway had a little seepage in all my Tritons as well. Phoenix Jim don’t worry you will enjoy your bird. I wanted a Cat as well but my garage door width and the high cost of a narrrowed Cat trailer got me over to looking at the Phoenix. I have had a couple of very very minor issues. I bought mine from Wiedas and knew I would not drive back 14 hours for minor issues. I have no problem fixing little things on my own that I know a dealer would have taken care of. Tim and Jeff have been so awesome to help me out!!! You will love the bird and have no regrets. My 721 loads on the trailer like a charm. I have loaded on all types of ramps without issues. My issues with my boat were a loose connection that came undone off a pin on circuit breaker and a plug that separated. Just enjoy the bird when it comes in the wait sucks!
    Steven Dendy-Spring Hill, KS
    2017 Phoenix 721 PRO XP 250-PRO XS
    Past Rides

​07 Triton - TR-196 200-Opti
    01 Triton - TR-21 225 HO Johnson
    93 Javelin 379T 91 Rude Intruder

83 Tidecraft - Wildfire F/S 150 Black Max

11. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sdendy View Post
    Mine has a little seepage I filled it up and it leaked a little around one of the fitting. I recaulked around my fitting on the outside with a little clear sealant seemed to help a lot this pastweekend out. I have alway had a little seepage in all my Tritons as well. Phoenix Jim don’t worry you will enjoy your bird. I wanted a Cat as well but my garage door width and the high cost of a narrrowed Cat trailer got me over to looking at the Phoenix. I have had a couple of very very minor issues. I bought mine from Wiedas and knew I would not drive back 14 hours for minor issues. I have no problem fixing little things on my own that I know a dealer would have taken care of. Tim and Jeff have been so awesome to help me out!!! You will love the bird and have no regrets. My 721 loads on the trailer like a charm. I have loaded on all types of ramps without issues. My issues with my boat were a loose connection that came undone off a pin on circuit breaker and a plug that separated. Just enjoy the bird when it comes in the wait sucks!
    yeah the wait is painful. I love bass cat but the layout of the layout of the 920 and my buddy’s 721 won me over

Tom Edwards. That was mine. They put a screw thru a hose at the factory. I took the metal plate out. Backed it down a ramp still strapped to my trailer to the edge of the rubrail. Looked in and there it was. Drip. drip. drip.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Phoenix 921ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Jim View Post
    good lord, leaking phoenix’s that look like a five year old worked on them and then I may struggle to put it on the trailer?? Sure hope I made right decision ordering one and leaving bass cat

All of the phoenix issues like this have been posted on here several times. The fact if the matter is IF you need help, they will help you AND ultimately the hull/ride is what we are really happy about and so far I haven’t hear any problems with those two things.

14. Member
    Don't get me wrong about my question. I love my boat. I just want to rectify one simple little problem and the best place to find answers is here. It'll be process of elimination. I removed the drain plug housing last night and cleaned the area and resealed it. Next step will be backing it in the water and looking for leaks. I'm sure its something stupid. I bought it in NC and pulled it to NJ. Something could of loosened up. Wish me luck and when I find the problem you guys will be the first to know.
    Thank again for all of the feedback.

15. Member
    In your driveway you can just fill up the bilge area with water and disconnect the auto-bilge pump. That's the easiest way to check for leaks and eliminate thru-hull connections. I ran a bead of caulk under the rub rail from the cockpit to the back of the boat and that solved my problem. Had the same problem with my Triton.

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

I love my boat too. This was a very little issue. Just some clumsy work with a screw gun and sheet metal. I replaced the hose but Tim provided some things to make up for it.
    I wouldn't trade my boat for anything except a newer 921.
    But the easiest way to see where the leak is coming from is to go to a boat ramp. Pull the battery out that sits on the metal plate. Move the power pole pumps aside. And remove that plate that covers the bilge area.
    Leave it strapped to the trailer. Have someone ride in the boat down the ramp until you are at the transom rubrail. And watch.
    Phoenix 921ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

17. Member
    Got some issue with mine as well. I have a 2015 721 and water was leaking in a lot and seemed to be coming from around my rub rail. Found part of it at least. When they ran my transducers they drilled a hole at the end of my rub rail underneath the metal cap. They put silicone in it and replaced the cap. Problem was all the silicone ran to the inside and didn't stop up the hole. Fixed this issue myself but still getting some water from somewhere. Guess i'll be removing the plate over the bilge and testing it at the ramp again myself. Also this was the dealer that install my electronics and not at the factory. Otherwise I can't say enough good things about my Bird.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GBhoss View Post
    In your driveway you can just fill up the bilge area with water and disconnect the auto-bilge pump. That's the easiest way to check for leaks and eliminate thru-hull connections. I ran a bead of caulk under the rub rail from the cockpit to the back of the boat and that solved my problem. Had the same problem with my Triton.
    That's a good Idea to se if the drain plug is leaking. But to see if its a hose or the rub rail I believe you need to see the water coming in. I think it would be easier.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmasher View Post
    That's a good Idea to se if the drain plug is leaking. But to see if its a hose or the rub rail I believe you need to see the water coming in. I think it would be easier.
    It will check ALL of the thru-hull fittings, not just the drain plug. For the hoses, you are correct. Just remove the metal plate before you back it into the water. Turn on the livewell fill pumps and look for a leak. Then turn on the recirc pumps and look for a leak. As for the rub rail, you will not be able to see anything. If water is coming in it is when the boat is on plane and pushing the water against the bottom of the rub rail. I just ran a small bead caulk there and that fixed it.

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Jim View Post

your beating a dead horse, they load easily people are idiots it was proven over and over in the last thread you were talking about it in. guys were doing all kinds of stupid stuff making it hard on themselves

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast