Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

To Mac not to Mac

Getting ready to finally upgrade to either new computer or a Mac desk top????

2. Member
    Macs are not bulletproof. My seven year old MacBook Pro finally bit the dust. My moms husband had a seven year old desktop that is also not supported any longer. The PC's will be a little less expensive. I went with a 15" Retina display MacBook Pro this time that Apple is selling for a decent discount at the PX. That was the only way to get HDMI and USB ports on their laptops. Hopefully this one gives me another seven trouble free years.

High end PC's aren't exactly "cheap".

I tried my wife's PC for a day and just could not use the cheap slow version after seven years of a Mac. I can fire this thing up in under a minute anytime I want to use it. I guess it's what you're used too?

3. Member
    Loved my Mac. If you can justify the expense, there's no debate that they make the best PC in my opinion. I elected to go the cheaper route last time and bought an $800 Asus. It's not bad, but wish I would have just got a Mac. No comparison.

PC at work, MAC at home since 2000. Never looked back. My laptop from 2000 is still going with latest software (apple gave me for free to fix a time machine issue backing up) and is finally showing signs that it is slowing down and about to fail. I got my worth out of it and about to make a new macbook purchase. It all will convert.

I've had to re-image my NEW school laptop twice since July and all I do on it is email, google drive and powerpoint. Not impressed at all with them. It is a Dell.

They'll all have some issues but I can't keep a PC more than three years before it's toast here at work.

I have more Macs than I do PC's. Having said that, I have to run windows on my work PC because the companies I work through aren't Mac compatible with their site formats. I love my Mac's for basic everyday use, but when it comes to dealing with files, family pictures, etc, I get frustrated as it is not very intuitive in saving, pulling them up and moving them around. A factory Mac has like 2 or 3 photo apps and they're all different entities. You cant just jog from App to app viewing the same photo with each editing program without saving multiple copies of the same photo. PC is totally different. The MACS have lasted forever and I'm still using an '07 Mac that is a bit slow with the newer OS's that have updated, but it still works just fine. I'm ordering another unit soon just for family stuff and it will likely be a PC this round. Windows 10 has caught up a great deal to the Apple OS's in my opinion. They still aren't quite as secure, but these days nothing truly is.

6. Member
    10 Years with my iMac and it still starts up and runs faster than my 6 month old surface book. Have had no issues with my Mac and I use it daily.

7. Banned
    Apple all the way!

8. Member
    Can't go wrong with a mac.

I swore I'd never do it for the longest time. Now I carry an iPhone, have 2 Macs in the house, and 3 Apple TVs. There are probably some things you can do on a PC that you can't do on a Mac, but the security, ease of use, and the fact that everything just works is why I don't ever see myself going back. No more trying to force pieces and parts from 10 different manufacturers to work together. No more buying a ridiculously fast computer then having to completely neuter it with some antivirus software that devours resources and is run by a company that makes it easy for hackers to steal your information. No more replacing the thing every other year to get something that will work again.

I think it's also worth mentioning that the compatibility issues are WAY overblown. I was shocked at how many programs I thought Macs wouldn't be able to run were actually easy once I made the switch. There are also things that tend to be much simpler on a Mac than on a PC - video editing is one example.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

10. Member
    Mac FTW! On my second Mac and I will never own a different brand.

11. Banned
    Mac is the devil.

12. Member
    Only down side I see is you cant manage a Humminbird with them.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wormdunker View Post
    Only down side I see is you cant manage a Humminbird with them.
    Sure you can. You just need to buy VMWare Fusion for Mac for $80 and a copy of Windows 10 for $100.

A Mac is a glorified PC. All the hardware is the same. You're not getting any mystical, magical, special Mac specific hardware. It'a a Dell in a different case running a different OS for a highly inflated price.

I have Hyper-V on my PC here with OSX running as a VM. A Mac on my PC...with VMWare Fusion you can have a PC running on your Mac.

14. Member
    It depends on what you plan to do with it. If all you are going to do is look at BBC, then you don't need a Mac. I got an hp pavilion three years ago and it has been great. I can watch movies which download in seconds from Amazon and do what ever business i need to do on the hp. I only paid $500 while it was on sale. Now if you are a gamer, you need some upgrades but those will be the same on a mac or pc.

I went with a Macbook Pro a couple of years ago. Keep in mind I've been using the Microsoft OS since before we had Windows. I loved the hardware but hated the OS. To many quirks that were different from Windows and I never got the feel for it. Also, I missed File Explorer and struggled to keep track of my stuff. Everyone used to go on about how Macs never crashed. If that was ever true it is not today. It crashed more than the Lenovo I am using now. Also, if it is a business laptop I don't feel that compete well in that environment. MS Office is behind. Docking stations don't really exist. It did have great battery life and as I am also an iPhone user I loved how it integrated with that. Being able to answer texts on my laptop was very handy. And it was fast but it was a $2,000 laptop so it better be.

It was a neat experiment but I'll stick with the PC. Tablets are another story though.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    Sure you can. You just need to buy VMWare Fusion for Mac for $80 and a copy of Windows 10 for $100.

A Mac is a glorified PC. All the hardware is the same. You're not getting any mystical, magical, special Mac specific hardware. It'a a Dell in a different case running a different OS for a highly inflated price.

I have Hyper-V on my PC here with OSX running as a VM. A Mac on my PC...with VMWare Fusion you can have a PC running on your Mac.
    +1 A Mac has the same components (Intel processor for example) as a PC does, nothing different other than the operating system. They've done an amazing job of marketing Apple computers to have most believe that they are superior to a regular PC and at very high prices.
    You can buy 2-3 high quality PC's for the price of one Apple computer.

But hey, you Mac guys keep on thinking that they have special parts in them that are different than what's in a PC, no one's going to convince you otherwise.

17. Banned
    The only thing Apple designs is their motherboards and cases. But, the motherboards are Intel spec. Meaning Intel provides the specs and components and Apple designs a board to fit in their case. Foxconn assembles the motherboards. Everything else, RAM, video, power supply, etc, are all sourced off-the-shelf components.

It's one reason why OSx86 Project is huge in the computer world. People build their own Mac's, with far better components, for considerably less and just purchase OSX to run on it. Build your own Mac with better performance for 1/3 the cost.

18. Member
    Just upgraded from a 2008 Macbook pro to 2017, gave the 2008 to my wife. Almost 10 years after purchase I still get regular OS software and regular updates for no charge. Hardware still sound but a bit slow. NEVER a problem with it, never a popup never a virus.

Never paid for anti virus, never paid for Micro soft office. I paid $1800 then, I think I saved money by not have to buy antivirus/Malware or pay Microsoft for office products.

Say all you want, I will look at proven real life experience.

In the same period I went through 3 MS PC's.

I think the Microsoft fans are IT guys trying to protect their jobs.

Our 2010 iMac performs as well today as it did when purchased. I went with a 27”, upgrade to the i7 processor, and added memory up to 16GB. And the Retina display on the new iMacs is unbelievable. After 25 years of Microsoft PCs at work I’ll never go back. And I very much prefer Apple OS to Windows.
    Last edited by RazorCat; 11-20-2017 at 03:32 PM.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

20. Banned
    Wife's IMac from 2011 died, as an early Christmas present today she ordered the IMac 27" with upgrades(more than an Ultrex and a half, LOL)
    She does a lot of movie editing, needing alot more RAM etc justifying upgrades. . Nothing beats Apple Movie Maker program aka IMovie.
    Mac is also great for updating Humminbirds which is why I agreed.
    The Mac/PC question reminds me of Lowrance or Humminbird , Ford/ Chevy, etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast