Any word on a MG competitor to the Ultrex

Haven't been on much the past few months working OT from the hurricanes. Only been out once since August. I did go out for about 20 min on a friends boat who just got and Ultrex. I love my XI5 but the deployment and retrieval without a cord is going to send me into the drink one day. I am hoping to be able to stick with MG since I tie it into my Lowrance units. But if they don't come up with something in the next 12 months I am going to have to bite the bullet and just buy an Ultrex.
    Stratos 2003 200 Pro XL

2. Member
    I'm with ya. There has be no word from MG. They have to be losing their ass on TM sales. I'm getting a new boat shortly and it will be an Ultrex. I love my Xi5 being tied into my Lowrance HDS's but I can live without that feature.

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

3. Member
    I have found it to be useful for telling me what the trolling motor is doing. IE heading lock 345 speed 1.2 But not so much for being able to pull up on a way point and start jigging a brush pile right away. Too much error built in to GPS signals for that level of accuracy. It will keep you over it once you find it, but you can be up to 18 feet away or something like that even though it takes you to the way point. If I had t do over again I would put that money towards an underwater camera. I guy let me use his for a week after I set up his Gen3 for him. Crazy awesome for letting you know what you are seeing on your unit. Spotting stump ridge in 30 feet of water. I knew there was stuff down there and always fish on that ridge, but nobody ever fished it.
    Stratos 2003 200 Pro XL

4. BBC SPONSOR
    I love my Xi5 but I would really like the proportional foot control and ability to easily mount a transducer that the Ultrex has. Motorguide is truly asleep at the wheel with their product development. Hell, Motorguide is still advertising the X5 as "new" and it is almost three years old. If Lowrance integrated with Minn Kota, I'd be switching to the Ultrex now. If I was buying a new boat or starting from scratch today, I'd definitely be getting an Ultrex and HB Solix's.

BTW, I'm shocked that the professional bass guys fishing Motorguide haven't jumped ship.

5. Member
    Tag

Quote Originally Posted by pbird View Post
    I love my Xi5 but I would really like the proportional foot control and ability to easily mount a transducer that the Ultrex has. Motorguide is truly asleep at the wheel with their product development. Hell, Motorguide is still advertising the X5 as "new" and it is almost three years old. If Lowrance integrated with Minn Kota, I'd be switching to the Ultrex now. If I was buying a new boat or starting from scratch today, I'd definitely be getting an Ultrex and HB Solix's.

BTW, I'm shocked that the professional bass guys fishing Motorguide haven't jumped ship.
    Could be that MK is not offering up anymore pro deals until they can catch up on public demands.

7. Member
    I added this handle to my Xi5. It works great to not only stow the motor but as a brace when riding in rough water. I orientated mine so that it points to the deck when stowed.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=650320

8. Member
    BTW I think MK would make an exception if someone like KVD wanted to defect. Even if they weren't offering any pro deals at the time. It would be the coop of the bass fishing world.

Quote Originally Posted by FishinDad View Post
    BTW I think MK would make an exception if someone like KVD wanted to defect. Even if they weren't offering any pro deals at the time. It would be the coop of the bass fishing world.