Boat Market- Late Fall vs Spring

Continuation of another thread/post. Seems that some have suggested now is the time to purchase a used boat because they believe prices won't get lower than they are now. Additionally, I'm see some private seller ads indicate they will likely jack their selling price come spring by as much as $2k. Now I'm sure this is at least partly a sales tactic, trying to get someone to pull the trigger faster.

That being said, up here in the northeast, many are winterizing boats which more or less eliminates a test drive when evaluating. On top of that, we'll have ice to deal with in a few weeks, so no test drives due to that either.

Is it really better to buy in the fall/late fall vs the spring?

Any advantage to buying from a Marina over "Joe" down the street? (I mean, I would think if its reputable marina they would go over the boat and make sure everything runs vs "joe" who might try to hide something?)

(lastly my apologies to anyone named Joe, no ill-intent intended. I'm sure there are many honest Joe's out there.)

Now is definitely cheaper than in the spring and I'd go with an individual. Tons of boats for sale right now that will get snatched up as soon as the weather warms up.

Fall buying.
    The fishing season is winding down, especially where you live. Fewer buyers looking. Many fishermen's thoughts turn to hunting. Holidays are coming, a source of money getting diverted to other things.

Look for motivated sellers, those having to sell due to divorce, financial hardships or somebody who purchased a new boat but has to unload their old boat to make ends meet. Those are the folks to look for and you'll often find great deals.

In the spring lots of fishermen have a new or new to them boat on their minds. Demand exceeds supply. Prices go up accordingly. In your case you don't want to wait too long into the fall because you won't be able to test drive due to the boat being winterized or ice.

You'll spend more buying from a dealer vs. an individual. If you're concerned about the condition, have it inspected before hand which you should be doing anyway.

Agree with the above for the most part. One distinction I've noticed is that if buying used, you can sometimes find great deals in the spring. The reason is that folks are buying new boats and dealers know they have them by the balls - as mentioned, demand can exceed supply. So the dealers won't give people the money they want for their trades. Suddenly you have people wanting to sell their old boats outright to finance their new ones, and they're in a hurry because they don't want the new one they want being sold before they can get it. You end up finding some good deals this way.

This is actually how I got mine for south of $7k. Same boat as mine in similar condition in a different color recently disappeared off our local Craigslist after a couple days of being listed just south of $12k. Have to believe the guy got close to what he was asking given the short amount of time it was posted.

Just be aware that when you find really good deals like these you have to be ready to jump now. I had two other boats sold "out from under me" while I was trying to get out to see them. One of those sold while I was actually making the 40 minute drive to go look at it.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

5. Banned
    I like to buy when there are fewer buyers. Right now everyone is thinking about Christmas money and taxes. In the spring, everyone is thinking about warmer weather from cabin fever and tax refunds. Take your pick...

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post

Just be aware that when you find really good deals like these you have to be ready to jump now. I had two other boats sold "out from under me" while I was trying to get out to see them. One of those sold while I was actually making the 40 minute drive to go look at it.
    Yeah, I had 2 sold out from under me already (01 Ranger and Triton). After losing out I decided to wait a little longer to put away a little more for either something newer OR so I could set aside more for upgrading electronics and something breaking.

That being said, the Marina I was talking to winterizes boats he takes in and is (at least currently) no doing test drives unless money is put down (non-refundable) and you are seriously going to purchase. Said he can't keep winterizing them (owner of marina), sale guy said they don't do them because he'd be spending all of his time on test drives instead of working. I do know someone who bought a newer used boat from this place and he has had no issues.

Overall, I guess I'm trying to decide how long I can hold off to save a little more. I'm ready to run my own boat come Tx season in the spring.

Sounds like you're on top of it pretty well. Just don't make a bad decision because you're antsy. I almost bought one with stress cracks in the transom because I thought I'd never find something that would get me what I wanted for the price I was willing to pay. Looking back I can't believe how stupid it was, but we'll do stupid things when the boat fever gets hold of us!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Sounds like you're on top of it pretty well. Just don't make a bad decision because you're antsy. I almost bought one with stress cracks in the transom because I thought I'd never find something that would get me what I wanted for the price I was willing to pay. Looking back I can't believe how stupid it was, but we'll do stupid things when the boat fever gets hold of us!

Ain't that the truth. Almost jumped right into a boat that we 2 years older when things fell apart. Wasn't really what I wanted, and needed some sense knocked into me.

9. Member
    Im up in the northeast also, I looked for roughly 8 months and finally found what I was looking for, although I drove 8 hours to get it , it was what I wanted for a great price, I bought it in mid November south from me and was able to test drive before I signed, like said before don't jump on something just because you want a "new to you boat" , their are many out there to pick and choose from, good luck
    2007 Z21 / 250 VMAX HPDI

10. Member
    Sometimes in the fall, people are willing to take less as opposed to making payments on it through the winter. If you can find out that they are indeed making payments, you can offer a little less and if the owner is smart, he can compare what he is going to pay on it while it sits, versus taking you offer and getting out of the payments until spring when their new boat arrives.

I bought mine late December when the owner was wanting to get a new one on order in time to have it by spring.

11. Member
    I sold my boat two weeks ago. Needed to make room for my next one. I knew it was off prime selling season and priced it accordingly. I made the sale just one day after listing it but I had researched what conditions similar boats were in and their asking prices and set my price point below that. If it had not sold by February I would have bumped the price up. Now to find it's replacement at an off-season price.

Personally, if I'm selling my boat the price I ask won't depend on the season.
    At least we had 1987....

If I'm buying a used bass boat id trust a individual over a marina/dealer , that way I know who owned the boat and could have a little bit of an idea how it was treated .

Some sellers are like me, price it, and brutally honest about everything, I have been through many sales situations and I know how I would want to be treated.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

15. Member
    If you think for one second a dealership wont try to hide an issue youre crazy. Think used car salesmen, because thats basically what youre dealing with although some will be more honest than others. I sold my boat late last fall, was 100% honest with the guy before he made the long drive to get it. It was in better shape than id described and it sold. My current boat is for sale and the price wont change from now till next summer.

one thing to keep in mind is how your state laws read. Here in KY you pay 6% sales tax if you buy from a dealer where you pay no sales tax if buying from an individual. Buying a 45k boat, youll save $2700 buying from an individual vs. a dealer. Look in all the cracks and crevices of the boat, that will tell you whether its a boat thats been genuinely cared for or if its been cleaned out just for the sale.
    They aint got hands, set the hook